Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew Bober  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2014 16:19:12(UTC)
Andrew Bober

The question is: does a driver require business class insurance on their personal policy if they are using their car for the purpose of work, regardless of what insurance policy third parties (your employer) may hold? I would be interested to hear views with any cited references. Andrew
SPR  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2014 16:26:25(UTC)
SPR

If the employee travels from home to a permanent place of work - their own car insurance should include "commuting to/from a permanent place of employment" or similar wording - normally this is standard and there is no additional charge. If an employee is required to travel to various sites: they will require their own car insurance to include "use in connection with the business activities of the policyholder" or similar wording. (most insurers should be able to include at no additional charge - however some internet providers will make a nominal charge for this)
Andrew Bober  
#3 Posted : 28 May 2014 16:32:45(UTC)
Andrew Bober

SPR wrote:
If the employee travels from home to a permanent place of work - their own car insurance should include "commuting to/from a permanent place of employment" or similar wording - normally this is standard and there is no additional charge. If an employee is required to travel to various sites: they will require their own car insurance to include "use in connection with the business activities of the policyholder" or similar wording. (most insurers should be able to include at no additional charge - however some internet providers will make a nominal charge for this)
SPR No argument there. However, the question relates to those people who think they don't require the addition on their personal policy as their employers policy provides cover for staff using their own car. This appears to be a more complex matter. I am uncertain if you don't have it own you own personal policy your insurer won't honour your policy regardless of the employers insurer doing so. Conversely no reporting the incident to your own insurer and letting the claim in directly from your employers is equally concerning, as your personal policy requires you to inform your insurer of any RTC. B Andrew
Mebo  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2014 17:03:14(UTC)
Mebo

At the small company where I work we all have to use our own cars for business travel. As ROES I got a look at the employer's liability policy and it explicitly stated there was no cover while travelling in, or getting in and out of vehicles. I got my employer to chase this up and the final answer was that we were not covered by any business insurance, but that as long as we had business cover on our own vehicle insurance it would be "all right".
Martin Gray  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2014 17:07:35(UTC)
Martin Gray

Andrew Firstly check with the companies insurer and see what they say, I think you might find that a vehicle can only be covered by one insurance policy and it is that of the registered keeper. Does the company pay the employee to use there vehicle for company travel? If the answer is yes the payment is deemed to be used for hire and reward therefore they should have business use on their own policy. I went through this several years ago with insurers and this was the definition they gave. We then required those persons being paid mileage allowance to produce not only their driving licence and MOT annually but also their insurance, if no business cover they were not entitled to a reimbursement.
achrn  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2014 21:54:27(UTC)
achrn

Martin Gray wrote:
you might find that a vehicle can only be covered by one insurance policy and it is that of the registered keeper.
This is not true. Most policies cover the policy holder to drive someone else's car, provided that car is insured for someone else. So I can test-drive a car offered for sale by someone else, because my insurance covers me driving their car as long as their insurance covers them driving that car. Every policy I've had has a similar clause. You don't even need to dig into the policy document to find it - it's on the certificate: "The policyholder may also drive with the owner's permission a car not owned by the policyholder ... This is providing the car has valid insurance in force on that car but which does not cover the policyholder of this Policy to drive that car". (That's AXA's wording.) If that's as universal as it seems to be in my experience, most of the car insurance policies in existence cover most of the cars in the country - every one of mine has covered any car which is insured and which I am qualified to drive.
stevie40  
#7 Posted : 28 May 2014 22:16:28(UTC)
stevie40

achrn - driving other cars extension is no longer universal and many insurers are starting to drop it, particularly for higher risk groups. It was being heavily abused. The cover it provides is only Third Party in any event, worth bearing in mind next time you borrow a mates Ferrari. Business use cover comes in various grades. Class 1 covers somebody who visits different locations as part of their work so a H&S consultant, surveyor, accountant etc. visiting clients would need to add this to their policy if using their own cars. Class 3 business use cover (the number varies with some insurers) would be needed if you were transporting goods or patients. Also used for people selling door to door and carrying goods. An employers EL and PL (Employers / public) liability policies do not pick up motor cover. It is possible for Motor Contingent Liability cover to be purchased by an employer. This does not replace the primary cover but will step in and provide Third Party cover if the primary cover fails, e.g. the employee has failed to insure and the accident occured whilst at work. Finally, it is possible for an organisation to insure the third party liability aspect on an employees behalf. It is a very complex area and I've only seen it once - a very large fast food delivery company. The cost for the young, minimum wage drivers to add class 3 business use individually was too great, given the hours and locations they worked. The employer had the financial clout to organise a special policy that covered the TP liabilities for all drivers while engaged on company business. At the end of the day though, best advice is to speak to your insurance broker.
achrn  
#8 Posted : 29 May 2014 08:38:13(UTC)
achrn

stevie40 wrote:
The cover it provides is only Third Party in any event, worth bearing in mind next time you borrow a mates Ferrari.
I don't think I ever suggested otherwise, and as far as I can determine the whole thread is only about the minimum necessary insurance to ensure legality, ie third party.
stevie40 wrote:
Business use cover comes in various grades.
These distinctions are by no means universal either. Last time I renewed my insurance I specifically asked about the class of business use and was told they did not distinguish - as far as my current insurer was concerned it was just a yes or no distinction.
stevie40 wrote:
It is possible for Motor Contingent Liability cover to be purchased by an employer.
Which again contradicts the previous assertion that a vehicle can only be covered by one policy and that policy must be taken out by the registered keeper. If drifting into technical subtleties, you don't need any insurance anyway. You can instead lodge a deposit with the Accountant General of the senior courts and then you don't need insurance. I don't know how many people or organisations take this approach.
ctd167  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2014 10:41:51(UTC)
ctd167

And don't forget to check the validity of the driving licence at least annually, our insurance provider insists it is done twice a year.
colinreeves  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2014 13:54:03(UTC)
colinreeves

Martin Gray wrote:
I think you might find that a vehicle can only be covered by one insurance policy and it is that of the registered keeper.
A while ago my car was written off in an accident and my partner and I decided to drop to a a single family car. I tried to get my own insurance on that car to keep up the NCB, but was clearly told by the insurers that only a single policy can apply to a single car (even though others with policies for their own cars may well be able to drive it).
Jake  
#11 Posted : 29 May 2014 15:24:52(UTC)
Jake

colinreeves wrote:
Martin Gray wrote:
I think you might find that a vehicle can only be covered by one insurance policy and it is that of the registered keeper.
A while ago my car was written off in an accident and my partner and I decided to drop to a a single family car. I tried to get my own insurance on that car to keep up the NCB, but was clearly told by the insurers that only a single policy can apply to a single car (even though others with policies for their own cars may well be able to drive it).
Off topic, but most insurers allow a grace period of 2 years (from current policy expiration) for you to reinsure and still use your ncb. I used this wisely recently, when moving roles and relinquishing a company car (and needed to buy and insure my own) - new policy start 1 year and 11 months after the expiration of my previous policy :-) I did a cost benefit analysis, using sample insurance quotes if I had to go back to 0 ncb - and it would have worked out cheaper to buy a £500 car and insure it to maintain ncb, than to do nothing and have to start again!! This was more pronounced as I’m a bit of a petrol head and use my ncb to insure fast cars!
johnmurray  
#12 Posted : 29 May 2014 16:13:09(UTC)
johnmurray

Andrew Bober wrote:
The question is: does a driver require business class insurance on their personal policy if they are using their car for the purpose of work, regardless of what insurance policy third parties (your employer) may hold? I would be interested to hear views with any cited references. Andrew
The answer is yes. There are various classes of biz insurance as well. Although you may find that biz insurance may well not include commuting or social use! Like a lot of things, you need to talk to the people who issue insurance. Full disclosure is advisable......
Andrew Bober  
#13 Posted : 30 May 2014 09:16:46(UTC)
Andrew Bober

JohnMurray wrote:
Andrew Bober wrote:
The answer is yes. There are various classes of biz insurance as well. Although you may find that biz insurance may well not include commuting or social use! Like a lot of things, you need to talk to the people who issue insurance. Full disclosure is advisable......
John So it would appear that the employee driving a vehicle under 3rd party cover - which appears all Motor Contingent Liability can extend - may have 'domestic and commute' as a policy, but would need to inform their insurer that they are driving it for the occasional/frequent purposes of work under Motor Contingent Liability as their policy may not be valid. Naturally, this raises the question of whether the employer should be checking the employee insurance documentation for use of their own vehicle to ensure that this disclosure has been declared, otherwise the employer is endorsing something which is far from good practice. Andrew
stevie40  
#14 Posted : 30 May 2014 10:42:12(UTC)
stevie40

Andrew - you really need to talk to your insurance broker. Yes, the employer should be checking the employees insurance documentation if they require them to use their own car for business purposes. Do not get too hung up on Motor Contingent Liability Covers. In my experience, 95% of firms do not purchase this cover either on cost or ignorance of its existence. It is not a replacement for correctly insuring the car and declaring business use. It is a failsafe in case the motor policy fails to indemnify for some reason. Tell the employee to add business use cover, ask to see proof of this. A good employer would also cover any additional cost the employee has to meet, e.g. additional premium / admin charge levied by insurer.
achrn  
#15 Posted : 30 May 2014 13:42:32(UTC)
achrn

stevie40 wrote:
A good employer would also cover any additional cost the employee has to meet, e.g. additional premium / admin charge levied by insurer.
Why do you say that? Why is the insurance cost different from (say) the MOT cost, or the VED cost, or even for that matter the fuel cost? Surely it's just part of the cost of motoring, and is deemed to be recompensed to the employee under the existing arrangements for use of the employees own private motor vehicle? (I'm assuming you are not of the view that employees should also cover VED, MOT etc costs - that may be a wrong assumption, though I think there would be tax implications if the employer did pay these things.)
stevie40  
#16 Posted : 30 May 2014 14:42:35(UTC)
stevie40

achrn - not sure what point you are trying to make but in answer to your question. Suppose a pool car is normally available and I use that. Then one day, I am expected to travel to a site for a meeting but no pool car available. I have to use my own car. I call my insurer to add business usage to the policy and they levy a £35 admin charge as many insurers do these days. It has purely been done for the employers benefit but the 40p a mile or whatever the rate is these days is not going to cover my costs and the £35 charge. I would expect the employer to reimburse. Maybe I've just had very considerate employers in the past. I appreciate some wouldn't though.
Martin Gray  
#17 Posted : 30 May 2014 19:52:00(UTC)
Martin Gray

Stevie40 - if you are being paid a mileage rate by your employer to use your own car the your car is being used "for hire and reward" this is similar to the person who delivers your takeaway using his car they are required to have business insurance. In my former life I worked for the local Police Operations Dept and was involved in the introduction of seizing vehicles under Section 165 of the Road traffic Act. During that time we seized takeaway drivers vehicles and also vehicles that were clearly being used for business purposes and their policies when checked with the ABI database were showing no cover for business use. Not only did the driver loose his vehicle for a period of time but also had to pay for his insurance upgrade and the release and storage of the vehicle. We also seized company cars where the driver did not have a driving licence i.e. they had been disqualified and prior to the disqualification had requested a replacement licence as they alleged they had lost their original one. What they presented to their employer was original licence. 1&1 = 2 the vehicle was returned to the employer's representative and the employee was dismissed for deception. Check employees driving documents annually i.e. MOT, Driving Licence and insurance if they drive on company business, also have written in your driving policy that you will dip sample driving records with an external organisation.
firesafety101  
#18 Posted : 30 May 2014 22:23:04(UTC)
firesafety101

Business use cover has not cost any more whenever. I have added it to my car insurance. Be careful with mileage rates as they are liable to income tax as will car user allowance.
John J  
#19 Posted : 31 May 2014 09:52:01(UTC)
John J

Don't assume that your insurance covers you for commuting either. Many online policies have it as an additional extra. Following one of my colleagues wives having an accident, and being told she had no cover, we all checked our policies. A lot of people were surprised to learn they weren't covered.
John(txic)  
#20 Posted : 04 June 2014 12:45:17(UTC)
John(txic)

Prudent advice, John. Many of the features that were incorporated as standard into a Private motor car policy years ago are now optional extras at additional cost. By stripping-out many of these covers an Insurer is thus able to appear at the top (or bottom?) of the price-comparison tables and thus scoop the business.
El Tel  
#21 Posted : 04 June 2014 15:30:11(UTC)
El Tel

I agree with SPR regarding reporting any RTA to your insurers, one of our employees had an accident in a works 'pool' car and although the vehicle was fully covered under the employers policy, they still had to report it to their own insurers as being involved in an RTA increases your own level of risk which was all news to me!
Zyggy  
#22 Posted : 05 June 2014 11:39:16(UTC)
Zyggy

At my previous employer we carried out an annual check of driving documentation which included: the original driving licence, not a photocopy; evidence of business use on their insurance certificate; a valid MOT if applicable....& most contentiously, evidence that the car was being serviced (this proved quite problematic when people were doing there own, therefore some latitude was given!). Whilst I was carrying out these checks it transpired that one of my team was not covered for business use & when she checked with her insurer to upgrade, her premium actually went down!
wjp62  
#23 Posted : 05 June 2014 13:34:11(UTC)
wjp62

One of my colleagues was delivering PPE/supplies to a site and was pulled over by traffic police, she was given a warning for inadequate insurance due to not having business cover, she got off lightly as this could have meant points and not for prizes.