Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jksimbob  
#1 Posted : 21 May 2016 22:30:38(UTC)
jksimbob

Hi All, I know this question has done the rounds over the years but with fresh eyes and opinions, is it worth joining? I know the fees aren't cheap and it'll mean forking out for insurance so just wanted some honest opinions as to whether joining has been of any true value to any of you? Many thanks..
jksimbob  
#2 Posted : 21 May 2016 22:45:06(UTC)
jksimbob

...further to my earlier email on this, I have tracked down some old site traffic on this subject - all really negative comments about joining the register suggesting that very little if any business is generated through it. Anyone have anything positive to say about the OSHCR?? Thanks..
peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2016 13:40:20(UTC)
peter gotch

jksimbob If you are practising as a Consultant, I'd be very concerned for your future if anything goes wrong if you haven't taken out Insurances
stuie  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2016 13:52:25(UTC)
stuie

It is also potentially a breach of the Code of Conduct if you are an IOSH member operating as a consultant without appropriate insurances. Stu
jksimbob  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2016 14:24:10(UTC)
jksimbob

peter gotch and stuie, Thanks for your concern about my future as a consultant and the reminder about the IOSH code of conduct but it really wasn't necessary. For info, I am adequately insured for the line of work I undertake and was simply referring to the possibility of needing extra insurance to join the register. I don't suppose either of you have any helpful opinions about the actual question asked regarding OSHCR?
SBH  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2016 15:41:45(UTC)
SBH

Whats the cost to join nowadays SBH
jksimbob  
#7 Posted : 24 May 2016 15:55:08(UTC)
jksimbob

SBH, Not sure, haven't got that far yet but heard its in the region of around £160 py..
stuie  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2016 20:26:58(UTC)
stuie

jksimbob; that's not what you said in the OP. 'fees aren't cheap and it'll mean forking out for insurance' were your words to quote. Stu
peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2016 13:08:26(UTC)
peter gotch

I've recently renewed at £70 for the year. Given that one of our major public sector clients has specified OSHCR, it's effectively a given that we have to have at least one of our team on the Register, until this client changes its spec.
rnighting  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2016 13:39:13(UTC)
rnighting

Sorry to be negative but I have been a member since it started and it has been a complete waste of time and money, I have now let it lapse.
RayRapp  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2016 07:50:26(UTC)
RayRapp

I never joined the OSHCR when I was a consultant as a matter of principle. It was only £30 for the first year. Complete waste of time and money in my opinion. Indeed it reminds me of the EurOSH of whatever it was called - another load of poop.
gerrysharpe  
#12 Posted : 30 May 2016 10:23:40(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Looking at all the negativity with joining some of these associations, Why dont a group of you decide what you would want from such and organisation, what are the benefits of being a member and would you pay a small nominal fee say for example with say Free insurance thrown in? Start something up yourselves, i would imagine it can't be hard and if you run it as a non profit organisation there are alot of Tax benefits too. It wouldn't be hard to start something up in the UK for the benefit of its members.... Would it?
Phillip Clarke  
#13 Posted : 22 June 2016 21:35:55(UTC)
Phillip Clarke

I am not a full time consultant consultant. However, I worked pro bono with a couple of companies run by friends as they set up and developed. To protect myself I took out insurance. When OSHCR came out I joined. For the first couple of years there was only a negative - lots of junk emails from various suppliers who harvested details from the site. Oh and the £30 a year fee. And the people who seem to think OSHCR are post nominals! But since 2014 I have had 2 - 3 queries each year via OSHCR that have resulted in work, more than paying the fees. So I think it is worth it.
David Bannister  
#14 Posted : 23 June 2016 09:08:31(UTC)
David Bannister

Phillip Clarke wrote:
But since 2014 I have had 2 - 3 queries each year via OSHCR that have resulted in work, more than paying the fees. So I think it is worth it.
My gast is well & truly flabbered! In all the years of OSHCR and the many comments on this site, this is the only post I can recall that is positive about the Register.
Centurion  
#15 Posted : 23 June 2016 10:07:13(UTC)
Centurion

Hi, Just to add my bit. As I was a consultant, I was a member of OSHCR from it's start as I thought great this is going to increase my work. I was completely surprised how it wasn't promoted in the workplace and still isn't - it's not even listed in Yellow Pages! Overall it generated a couple of enquiries for me. I have now retired so I have let it lapse. I am still approached by companies seeking assistance so I refer them to the OSHCR Register which they are grateful for as they have never heard of it. Cost wise it's not a lot and with regards to professional indemnity insurance it pays to shop around and get a package to suit - don't go for excessive coverage . Cheers Andy
peter gotch  
#16 Posted : 27 June 2016 13:06:16(UTC)
peter gotch

I've read an email today from a recruitment consultant asking if I wanted to apply for a H&S position on any of four engineering construction sites (which I didn't). In each case the person spec included OSHCR (which I think was overprescriptive).
Ali Sooltan  
#17 Posted : 30 June 2016 14:49:26(UTC)
Ali Sooltan

OSHCR does not drive traffic to your website. We are all accredited in our Consultancy, but having OSHCR accreditation has never generated any work for us. It was simply a good idea. By the way you don't need OSHCR accreditation to get insurance (or vice versa). We had insurance well before OSHCR and yes Business insurance is essential if you are a Consultant whereas OSHCR is not. No new client I talk to has ever heard of it. Better to say you are Chartered or (in my case) an ex inspector.
DavidBrede  
#18 Posted : 16 July 2016 20:33:33(UTC)
DavidBrede

I have been on this since its inception and it has provided one or two leads each year. It has recently been beefed up so will see if this makes any difference.