Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 24 June 2016 15:05:23(UTC)
achrn

I have some Drager gas detection tubes, which are glass tubes 120mm long, 7mm diameter, containing a teaspoon or two of unknown chemicals. I have about 50 of them, unused but variously 15 to 20 years past their use-by dates. I want to get rid of them. The paperwork with them only says "Avoid skin contact with the tube filling. Contents are corrosive. For disposal, observe safety recommendations S 2-26-30-36/37-44-51." and (on another set) "Avoid skin contact with the tube filling. Contents are corrosive. For disposal, observe safety recommendations S 2-13-20-21-22-26-28-30-44". The manufacturer says "Do not dispose of used or expired Dräger-Tubes in domestic waste. Dräger-Tubes must be disposed of properly, since the reagent system of the tube contains chemicals, even though the chemicals are present in extremely small amounts. The storage or disposal of chemicals must be conducted according to local, state and federal regulations. Detector tubes are comprised primarily of glass and chemicals." or similar - various documents say basically the same thing - dispose of properly in accordance with regulations - but but they don't give any guidance on what that means. Does anyone recognise what those safety recommendations might be referring to or have any idea how to disposal of these things 'properly' and 'according to regulations'?
Granlund40055  
#2 Posted : 24 June 2016 16:09:21(UTC)
Granlund40055

See https://www.gov.uk/dispo...hazardous-waste/overview Although I'm sure if you give Draeger UK a ring they will advise you. Or contact a local or national haz waste disposal co. Some will charge an arm and a leg, some will be more reasonable. They are classed as hazardous waste so have to be disposed of to a registered waste carrier, broker or dealer. The waste has to be accurately classified with the correct Hazardous waste code(s) and the correct European Waste Code. You will also need to complete a hazardous waste consignment note when the waste goes off-site. For a fee the waste Co will provide a chemist to classify, label, pack and do the paperwork as well. We use Veolia and Tradebe - other companies are available.
achrn  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2016 14:05:52(UTC)
achrn

Granlund40055 wrote:
Although I'm sure if you give Draeger UK a ring they will advise you.
I did already give Draeger a ring. No they won't advise me. They won't formally advise more than I already quoted - you must dispose of the waste properly and respect the relevant regulations. I have no idea how you're supposed to do that when you don't know what's in them. How do I classify the waste I have when all I know about it is that it's chemicals and corrosive?
Graham Bullough  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2016 14:26:03(UTC)
Graham Bullough

Does the fact that the amounts of chemical inside each tube are extremely small have any bearing on how to dispose of them in a sensible pragmatic manner, whether as a batch of umpteen or more tubes or just one or several? HSE inspectors almost certainly use such tubes, so it would be interesting to know, if possible, what HSE's disposal arrangements are for them! As it's almost 30 years since I left HSE, I can't remember what my colleagues and I did with spent tubes and also smoke puffer tubes. Even if I could remember, our former arrangements (official or otherwise) might not accord now with current requirements! :-( Graham B
gerrysharpe  
#5 Posted : 27 June 2016 07:23:20(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Can you not just dispose of them as hazardous waste? These may then be Incinerated in a High Temperature Incinerator? Your best bet might be to phone up some Waste carriers and ask them the best way of disposal I managed to find this on google http://www.hazcat.com/MSDS/MSDSPDF/AllDraegers.pdf
chris42  
#6 Posted : 27 June 2016 09:26:19(UTC)
chris42

In order to dispose of it as hazardous waste you need to know the EWC code, but to know that you need to know what is in it. Could those numbers just be reference to Safety phrases ? If they are it does not help you a lot. Do you have any idea what they were used for testing the presence of in the past, it may give a clue as to the chemical inside. I assume from your post there is no reference number in order to get a Safety data sheet (or MSDS as was back then). But if you knew what they were used for testing for, I would expect the reagent to be the same / similar. So you could get a safety data sheet for a new tube for the same test which would give you the EWC.
Granlund40055  
#7 Posted : 27 June 2016 09:54:02(UTC)
Granlund40055

I think the easiest way is to ring up some waste contractors as gerrysharpe suggested - ask how much to dispose of 50 old draeger tubes. Your regular waste contractor may have a haz waste dept or will know someone who can take your tubes away. Draeger could have pointed you in the direction of their website and msds sheets. A search for Draeger tube msds gets you their technical support page and gas tube in their msds search gives this http://www.draeger.net//...n?id=10406&view=true Their sds confirms the type of haz waste and even gives some disposal recommendations, although I wouldn't try to neutralise or dilute the contents of the tubes. To give an indication of costs, we have been quoted £450 for disposal of over 100 items of lab chemicals total weight 80Kg. These were packed in a 200 L clip top drum and another 7 smaller containers. The cost of the chemist for half a day to classify and pack was £200, transport £60 and paperwork £55. Your 50 tubes will probably fit in a 5 L lidded container and take 5 mins to pack. hope this is helpful Ian
Granlund40055  
#8 Posted : 27 June 2016 09:59:52(UTC)
Granlund40055

I don't think the link works try http://www.draeger.net//.../ifu/ifu/ifuStart.action
achrn  
#9 Posted : 27 June 2016 15:18:35(UTC)
achrn

Thanks all, particularly Granlund40055, since I had not found that link, but that has resuklted in me making some progress. We have identified what they were test tubes for - toluene and benzene - and some paperwork with part numbers has turned up, which in combination with Granlund40055's link lets me get a product information sheet, which tells me that some of them are not classified as dangerous, but the others are. However, I at least have some paperwork for consulting waste contractors.