Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PGaisie  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2016 20:59:59(UTC)
PGaisie

I have passed my units a, b and c international NEBOSH diploma and looking for a company to start my career in health and safety. My education background is in agriculture (bachelor's degree) and sustainable environmental management (Master's). I have minimal relevant work experience in health and safety. But I have a good experience of health and safety in the health and social care sector as I have worked part time in the sector for about 4years now. I currently work alongside a colleague as health and safety representative. I have been applying for various roles with no interviews so far. I apply for various roles: h&s administration, h&s coordinator, h&s trainee, h&s assistant etc. Any thoughts why I have found it difficult to get at least an interview?
WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2016 08:12:49(UTC)
WatsonD

Yes, it will be your experience. I have seen a few on here that go out get qualifications and wonder how come they don't just walk into a job. It is the same as with university graduates who struggle to get their first foot on the rung. Unlike qualifications, which can be pretty quick to get, experience takes time to build up. Your background looks quite varied, agriculture, care, etc. I would say you need to try to take on more H&S in your current role and build up your experience.
jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2016 08:41:46(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Does your cv and letter of application reflect that you have some kind of experience in health and safety no matter how big or small? I amended my cv and within 2 months I had received more interviews and call backs than I had in the 2 years previously. Have you self funded any qualifications? If you have- put that on your cv. Also, make sure you read through the job description, and even though you may not have experience specifically in that field, comment on skills you have that could be transferred into that role- for example taking minutes in meetings- you need to be a good listener and be able to pick out key details, plus the write-up afterwards.
PGaisie  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2016 23:28:41(UTC)
PGaisie

Thank you for the advice. I have spoken to my manager to allow me to take up more health and safety responsibilities and she has agreed. As for my cv, I need to rewrite it to highlight my transferable skills. Infact, I have just done an appraisal today and my manager said my strengths were in producing excellent care plans and showing initiative in addressing health and safety and infection control issues. And I agree with her.
dan_ellis  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2016 12:16:36(UTC)
dan_ellis

It took me 5 years to get the role in Construction H&S! A design manager who works for the same group (different division) as me, asked my HSEQ Manger if his friend who recently passed his NEBOSH could visit a site or 2 with me when I carry out my site inspections, he has visited approx 12 sites over 3 months with me. He has now been employed by the Ops Director of the division as an onsite H&S Advisor for the larger projects. So basically he's landed a job in no time, just because he contacted his friends in the industry to ask around to gain work experience, he is definitely capable and competent and I look forward for him starting on Monday! So try asking around and offering your services for free just to gain the H&S experience. Regardless of qualifications, a lot of H&S Managers want previous experience working with H&S procedures. Hope that helps and Good luck!!
gerrysharpe  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2016 08:27:41(UTC)
gerrysharpe

Some great ideas from Dan_ellis there, if your looking for work and don't have much experience offering yourself for free with a bid to build up your experience would be a great Idea, rather than site at home waiting for a job to come, get out there and get experienced, You never know you may even be taken up by the company that you offered your services to! Would also be a Brownie point to put them down on your CV also and a great reference Source also
WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2016 11:06:07(UTC)
WatsonD

I would add a note of caution with volunteering: make sure it is clear what you are offering and what you hope to get in exchange. Look to work with either charitable organisations, or school governance roles, or maybe by (as per#5) shadowing a mentor, rather than providing a free service. I am sure there are those companies happy to indulge the willing volunteer with some free work they would normally have to pay for.
chris42  
#8 Posted : 10 August 2016 11:25:51(UTC)
chris42

Sorry to butt in to your post PGaisie, but the others have suggested volunteering which is fine, but they may know the answer to this and may be of benefit to you. If you are not employed by the organisation and are volunteering for free, should you have your own insurance ? or would you come under their in some way ?