Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Russ1977  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2016 10:45:22(UTC)
Russ1977

Hi all, Bit of an in team argument this morning regarding fire wardens. Some bright spark thinks that its permissible to for a warden to work upwards, i.e. go upstairs to other floors to evacuate staff. I am of the opposite opinion, clear your floor and if you're on an upper level, move down and exit the premises. Please confirm that it is fact my colleague that's gone barmy and not me!! :)
RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2016 11:30:56(UTC)
RayRapp

I agree that normally this would not be considered good practice on the proviso you have Fire Wardens on each floor.
O'Donnell54548  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2016 11:51:36(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

I know this is a standard answer, but it will depend on your arrangements for evacuation. Although it is generally accepted that you should not walk away from the exit, with many Fire Brigades now running a 'call confirm' policy it is not unusual for Wardens to be sent to the scene of the alarm activation to confirm that it is a genuine fire. With this in mind, what is the risk to the Warden in your circumstances?
Paul Gotts  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2016 15:13:53(UTC)
Paul Gotts

Generally you would expect a Fire Warden to carry out their responsibilities as they are making their own way out of the building and they should not expose themselves to a greater risk. Hence in many offices you may have multiple fire wardens on each floor who would clear their section then get out of the building. There will always be exceptions but expect these to be risk assessed and controlled to the hilt.
Kate  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2016 15:54:44(UTC)
Kate

No going upstairs as far as I'm concerned!
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2016 16:55:45(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It depends on the circumstances: If there is an obvious fire ie smoke etc then, I would not expect fire wardens to move towards it (unless they were helping some who was mobility impaired) but rather to make their own way out and whilst doing so clear the area on the way out. On the other hand if the fire was an alarm only one with a sensor in locked room , behind panelling or in roof void then someone would need to go and have a look to confirm that this was a real fire not just a false alarm . That is what we did in my last place of employment, as unless a real person confirmed that this was a fire the fire brigade would not treat it as a proper alarm. Activation of the fire alarm points counted as a real alarm.
Invictus  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2016 07:57:53(UTC)
Invictus

Train more people, why would you want to send people into potential danger, ok most will have a repeater panel on each floor so that they can see the area of the fire and therefore you know what floor the fire is on. If you cannot have a fire escape route that brings you back into the building at another level why would you send anyone upstairs to check if the floor is clear, didn't we learn from the twin towers. If this is the plan than it shows that your risk assessment needs to be reviewed, just an opinion.
Russ1977  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2016 09:15:16(UTC)
Russ1977

Invictus wrote:
Train more people, why would you want to send people into potential danger, ok most will have a repeater panel on each floor so that they can see the area of the fire and therefore you know what floor the fire is on. If you cannot have a fire escape route that brings you back into the building at another level why would you send anyone upstairs to check if the floor is clear, didn't we learn from the twin towers. If this is the plan than it shows that your risk assessment needs to be reviewed, just an opinion.
I agree, which was my original point, a "know all" colleague thinks otherwise. In our buildings I am looking at having 3 for each floor (1 being a deputy). Its simple, clear your area, get out, report to the incident controller.