Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ben Baldwin  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2012 16:25:11(UTC)
Ben Baldwin

I would very much welcome fellow IOSH members views on a new initiative I am attempting to get going known as Safety Heroes. I am presently employed as the Deputy Chief Environment and Safety Officer for the British Army and have recently completed a Level 6 Occupational Health and Safety Diploma. I am responsible for training policy and developing a positive safety culture throughout the Army while on operations and at home. I would like to provide soldiers who have been injured on operations with the opportunity to attend a number of internal and external courses. A number of them are run in-house:including the Safety Advisors Course (British Safety Council Level 3 Certificate), Risk Assessment Train the Trainer, First Aid Instructor and a number of other similar courses. Safety Heroes will then provide the soldiers with some experience including working and operating in a variety of Health and Safety environments or businesses in order to build up their experience and knowledge. Ideally, the soldiers would be deemed competent and experienced to move into a variety of Health and Safety appointments by the time they are classified fit enough to leave the Army. I am looking for mentors or businesses that would be willing to guide and help a soldier as he progresses through this challenging period. I would also like to hear from companies that provide Health and Safety training in any of these disciplines who would be willing to provide a free training slot for an operationally experienced soldier recovering from an injury. Safety Heroes will provide a service to link the qualified, experienced and competent soldier with companies looking to recruit reliable, enthusiastic, well trained and competent safety practitioners. If there are any IOSH members out there that could help, I would be most grateful to hear from you. It is hoped that the Safety Heroes Website (www.safetyheroes.co) will be fully operational shortly.
Betta Spenden  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2012 18:07:10(UTC)
Betta Spenden

OMS (Coalville) is a health and safety training company who are already doing this with The Newark (on Trent) Patriotic Fund (see facebook) and NEBOSH (who have wiavered the NGC fees). The first injured serviceman dropped out because of the stress levels. The second volunteer should be on the NGC course in March.
alexmccreadie13  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2012 18:09:46(UTC)
alexmccreadie13

Ben today I cant help but I will talk to my Operations Director who like me is ex military. If we can come up with something I will get back to you. Regards Alex
Ben Baldwin  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2012 18:20:44(UTC)
Ben Baldwin

Betta and Alex, Many thanks for the info. I will make a note of OMS (Coalville) and The Newark (on Trent) Patriotic Fund. If you are able to come up with something Alex, that would be great. Regards, Ben
Marcus  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2012 10:11:36(UTC)
Marcus

Ben - I will PM you with some thoughts - hopefully later this evening...
stevedunstan  
#6 Posted : 21 February 2012 10:40:53(UTC)
stevedunstan

Ben What a great initiative. I'm an independent fire and safety consultant with 25 years experience and I will helpyou in any way I can. I'm willing to provide training, mentoring, advice and support as required. Steve
walker  
#7 Posted : 21 February 2012 11:09:19(UTC)
walker

It would be nice to see IOSH get officially involved in this
Ben Baldwin  
#8 Posted : 21 February 2012 19:25:03(UTC)
Ben Baldwin

Hello Marcus, Steve and Mr Walker; Thanks you all for your positive responses and I agree that it would be good to get IOSH involved in this initiative. I have been really encouraged by the offers of support and help. The initiative is at an early stage, however there are plenty of potential Safety Heroes out there that need our support and I am confident that we can set the conditions in order to provide mentoring and training opportunities and hopefully employment for a significant number of soldiers. I look forward to working with you in the future. Regards. Ben
ExDeeps  
#9 Posted : 22 February 2012 09:04:07(UTC)
ExDeeps

Ben, First of all, this is a great initiative, so well done. Hopefully I'm not about to start some interservice incident, but can I just ask whether this is specifically for soldiers or for the wider forces community? To me it looks like it could be a really useful idea for any injured service people but I realise there are probably issues around a tri-service programme...! Anyway, it's a great idea, I wish you and the guys your looking to help all the best and when I get a chance I will try to sell the idea to my bosses as this will be a win win for all concerned. If you have any more details please PM me, Jim
walker  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2012 11:49:44(UTC)
walker

Ben, I PMed you, but got no reply
Teresa Budworth  
#11 Posted : 09 March 2012 10:56:19(UTC)
Teresa Budworth

Ben, I’m posting as CEO of NEBOSH. As a charity we would really welcome the opportunity to help. We have a scheme already through the Charities Safety Group where we waive examination fees for candidates working for voluntary organisations and charities, who we place with one of a number of our course providers who offer free course places. I’m sure it would be possible to offer something similar and publicise it through our network of 500+ course providers. (I heard you ask a question at IOSH Conference and tried to find you afterwards to make this offer.) Please email me at info@nebosh.org.uk
Ben Baldwin  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2012 11:32:15(UTC)
Ben Baldwin

Teresa, Many thanks for your support and I am sorry that I did not have the opportunity of meeting you at the IOSH Conference. Your suggestion sounds fantastic. Thank you. I will e-mail you my contact details and a little more info on SAFETY HEROES. Kind Regards, Ben
ianjones  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2012 21:39:48(UTC)
ianjones

Ben I am based in Salisbury as a Safety Manager in a business, I maybe able to offer mentoring or practical experience but I will need to check this out with my bosses where are you based? As I see you are south east
ianjones  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2012 21:41:10(UTC)
ianjones

Ben phone the networks advisory at IOSH and ask if she can send a message to every IOSH network to be discussed at their next meeting
Ben Baldwin  
#15 Posted : 11 March 2012 18:46:15(UTC)
Ben Baldwin

Ian, I am based in Andover. I think both your ideas are excellent. I will send you more info later this week. Many thanks for your suggestions and I hope that we will be working together shortly. Kind Regards, Ben Baldwin
John.McCann  
#16 Posted : 05 April 2012 21:57:17(UTC)
John.McCann

I am a Divisional Health and Safety Manager for a large utility company. I can offer mentoring and opportunities to gain experience within my sector. (Yorkshire Area). Please contact me for any assistance you require. John