Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cathy A  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2012 16:02:04(UTC)
Cathy A

I would appreciate any opinions out there on the use of FABA fall arrestor systems on vertical ladders > 2m high (access only, not working from). Do you believe them to be best practice or do you rely on hoops? Do you have any ladders with fall arrest fitted as well as hoops? Do you experience any problems with FABA fall arrest systems and do you have a minimum height ladder before installation is considered? I'm aware that EN353:1 has been withdrawn but installations are still going ahead under the standard and as far as I'm aware fall arrest systems are still considered to be best practice. I'd love your opinion. Thanks Cathy
leerob  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2012 16:51:16(UTC)
leerob

Try the TETRA system, we have issued this system to our ladder uses.
Jake  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2012 18:04:47(UTC)
Jake

Cathy A wrote:
Do you believe them to be best practice or do you rely on hoops?
There is some research out there that suggests ladder hoops should not be relied upon: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr258.pdf However my experience is that opinion is divided and some of our roofing contractors insist that hoops are a valubale part of the cat ladder! Clearly a fall arrest system offers better protection against falls, it'll be a risk based decision as to whether you implement them or not.
redken  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2012 09:51:29(UTC)
redken

"it'll be a risk based decision as to whether you implement them or not." Jake, given that the consequences of the fall from height are severe what variable factors would influence the assessment of probability in order to make the risk based decision?
Steve e ashton  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2012 13:41:27(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Jake: You state that "Clearly a fall arrest system offers better protection against falls...". Could I ask what you base this on? I have seen the HSE research about hoops - but I've also seen a number of reports of failure in fall arrest systems (those designed with vertical wires and 'runners' to which a lanyard is attached). Some of these failure are systemic design failings, others are failures of individual units... Some installed fall arrest systems apparently will not arrest falls (or will not arrest within the specified fall distance). On that basis, I suspect a hoop system - even with the risks described and graphically shown in the HSE research - may actually offer better protection! Especially since hoops are visbily either there or not there, whilst fall arrest wires, runners, clamps and etc need periodic inspection and maintenance and even then may fail-to-danger on the one occasion they are needed to work in anger. I have no axe to grind on this issue - except that I have been waging a long-running campaign AGAINST the fitting of 'permanent fall arrest' wires on new transmission towers, since they will require more frequent access for inspection and maintenance of the system than we need to inspect and maintain the towers!. We don't use hoops either - we currently rely on well trained teams using twin lanyard "clip clops..". Steve Steve
Jake  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2012 17:35:08(UTC)
Jake

redken wrote:
"it'll be a risk based decision as to whether you implement them or not." Jake, given that the consequences of the fall from height are severe what variable factors would influence the assessment of probability in order to make the risk based decision?
Apologies I suppose I meant it'll be a decision on what is deemed reasonably practicable for the relevant orgnaisation / task. That said the risk associated with using cat ladders could be different for different cat ladders: - Length / height of cat ladder - Location of cat ladder (indoor when not affected by wind / rain etc.) - Frequency of use etc.
steve e ashton wrote:
Jake: You state that "Clearly a fall arrest system offers better protection against falls...". Could I ask what you base this on? I have seen the HSE research about hoops - but I've also seen a number of reports of failure in fall arrest systems (those designed with vertical wires and 'runners' to which a lanyard is attached). Some of these failure are systemic design failings, others are failures of individual units... Some installed fall arrest systems apparently will not arrest falls (or will not arrest within the specified fall distance). On that basis, I suspect a hoop system - even with the risks described and graphically shown in the HSE research - may actually offer better protection! Especially since hoops are visbily either there or not there, whilst fall arrest wires, runners, clamps and etc need periodic inspection and maintenance and even then may fail-to-danger on the one occasion they are needed to work in anger. I have no axe to grind on this issue - except that I have been waging a long-running campaign AGAINST the fitting of 'permanent fall arrest' wires on new transmission towers, since they will require more frequent access for inspection and maintenance of the system than we need to inspect and maintain the towers!. We don't use hoops either - we currently rely on well trained teams using twin lanyard "clip clops..". Steve Steve
Some interesting points steve, and oens I was not aware of (regarding faliures) (though looking at cat ladders is just something I have done but it's not a large part of my role currently). I based my comments on common sense, with the prerequiste that any system that any organisation has installed is fit for purpose. I.e. it's better to be clipped to a system that will physically arrst your fall than relying a hoop to take your weight etc. It's worrying that some systems won't arrest falls or work correctly, I'd suggest that is an issue with the specification / design of a specific application and not a general problem. I like the idea of the twin lanyard approach, something to consider as a cheaper alternative!
IanDakin  
#7 Posted : 23 March 2012 11:29:36(UTC)
IanDakin

Hi Steve Ashton makes a good point. Ensure any controls used do not create more of a safety issue than the original problem. In your risk assessment, follow the WAH Regs and guidance, and prove you have done this. In the past I have used twin lanyards (like the Absorbica Y)for climbing ladders, and if required to work at height from them, a work position harness would be used as well.
colinreeves  
#8 Posted : 23 March 2012 13:41:54(UTC)
colinreeves

michaelc  
#9 Posted : 23 March 2012 13:56:14(UTC)
michaelc

Hi Colin It makes interesting reading as I currently work offshore a vast majority of drilling derricks use the rising rail type of system so I will make inquiries into if they are the same type and what the inspection regime is.