Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leadbelly  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2014 15:44:22(UTC)
leadbelly

One of my clients is a medium-sized garden centre and they have yet to carry out an evacuation drill, citing the difficulties of carrying one out when occupied by the public. How do other retail premises get round the issue? LB
Safety Smurf  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2014 15:50:44(UTC)
Safety Smurf

Hi Leadbelly, We try and schedule ours for times of quietest trading. The other key thing is to make sure you thank the customers for their perseverance and understanding during the drill.
leadbelly  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2014 16:02:07(UTC)
leadbelly

Thanks, SS That's what we had come up with. Although the number of customers will be low, at least the staff will have a chance to become more familiar with the procedures. LB
Holbrook42275  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2014 16:51:32(UTC)
Holbrook42275

As I understand it the Trafford Centre which can have footfalls of over 50,000 on a good day (double that come Xmas) carry theirs out on those "normal days" so I dont see how when such a large organisation can manage it why cant a medium sized garden centre? I carried out training for a large float glass manufacturer and, when discussing fire drills in general, they stated that they hadnt had one since the site had opened (approx 7 years at the time) as production was continuous and the production machinery couldnt be shut down. When discussed further it was established that there were ways to manage the situation and effectively carry out fire drills as per guidance a couple of times a year without having to disrupt production. Its all about the thought process and managing the situation.
jwk  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2014 16:56:15(UTC)
jwk

Our shops do drills at the start or end of the day, but they're mostly very small so it's not usually much of an issue. At my last place we had resistance from the hospices; can't interrupt patient care when they're at end of life. This is actually quite a reasonable position, but we did manage to get drills established, doing things like having silent drills and the like. We even managed a full-scale drill involving the local fire & rescue at one place; we did it over Xmas. Obviously people do die over Xmas, but more will opt to stay at home if they can, John
mssy  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2014 18:01:07(UTC)
mssy

Why not do them when the shop is closed - ie first thing in the morning? The drill is supposed to be a part of staff training, in order to practice what they have learned in training sessions or during e-learning, but this time in real time and within their work environment. So if staff sweep their areas, pretend to usher customers from the shop and then report to their assembly point (or whatever their evacuation procedure is), this would be sufficient for all but huge dept stores and shopping centres. As for keeping business disruption to a minimum, there are 1000s of premises where a 100% involvement in an evacuation drill is not possible. I have organised drills in Hospitals with casualty units & operating theatres which will not stop - and once, a hedge fund office in Mayfair where even a 30 minute shutdown would cost £millions. My current role includes a very large building with thousands of staff which cannot completely close down. A minimal number of key staff are exempted via requests to senior managers to keep the business running. Exemption is granted using a strict procedure and defined criteria. They are issued with a certificate to be shown if challenged on the day. The rule is: No certificate = No exclusion (even if they have lost it) Fire drills should not be disproportionately disruptive or expensive . Surely its all about preparedness and about training, and not bankrupting the business :)
chas  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2014 11:29:48(UTC)
chas

Maybe there is an alternative to the usual fire drill, is it strictly necessary? I read in the magazine Health and Safety at Work (August 2014) that a certain bank is doing away with the traditional evacuation drill at branches whereby the bell rings and people go and stand in the car park. They believe it encourages a degree of complacency and is disruptive to business. I gather the need for drills now will be risk based as will the degree of training. They seem to be going over to a more E-learning approach and what they call 30 minute 'knowledge knockout' events. The Local Fire Authority seems to be happy with the arrangement. So maybe your garden centre client could take a different approach and at the same time fulfil their legal obligations.
leadbelly  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2014 11:45:21(UTC)
leadbelly

Thanks, Chas Can you tell me more about 'knowledge knockout' events as a quick search did not turn up anything relevant? LB
Psycho  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2014 11:46:16(UTC)
Psycho

As per mssy above we have acute hospitals we dont do fire evacuations, we do not use patients in our drills, to move some could kill them we do not use alarms apart from in an emergency, imagine a Dr hearing a klaxton alarm while injecting an eye however we do walkthroughs with staff and have very good training. It is not a manditory requirement to carry out drills providing you have something else in place that is as good or better note the ''where necessary'' and ''Appropriate'' in section 15 of the RRO below Procedures for serious and imminent danger and for danger areas 15. —(1) The responsible person must— (a) establish and, where necessary, give effect to appropriate procedures, including safety drills, to be followed in the event of serious and imminent danger to relevant persons;
chas  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2014 12:05:11(UTC)
chas

leadbelly, It would appear that the 'knowledge knockout' event referred to in the H&S at Work article is something staff complete on-line about what they should do in the event of a fire. It demonstrates they know what to do I suppose(?). Interestingly the bank referred to in the article is also doing away with most of its fire extinguishers in its main Central London Office. They are only having two per floor, both water extinguishers, one at each storey exit, (it doesn't say whether there are sprinklers or not). I wonder how long it will be before the servicing company suggests they are under resourced and have to have many, many more! :)
David Bannister  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2014 16:14:08(UTC)
David Bannister

I have not seen the article in question but it sounds like the bank has a good understanding of its risks and is sufficiently confident to make, what to some, will seem brave decisions. If they have made these decisions based on a true understanding of the risks then I applaud their position and congratulate them for daring to challenge the accepted wisdom of decades of Official advice.
jodieclark1510  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2014 16:30:35(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I personally think it's resonable for a garden centre to practice Fire Drills- I worked at a University and we were required to check and evacuate hundreds of bedrooms- one of them being during freshers week when most of them are suffering from the night before (HAHA- evil cackle from an ex student) with regards to hospitals- it makes Sense they don't and as long as staff are trained accordingly then good on them.
chas  
#13 Posted : 11 August 2014 16:36:30(UTC)
chas

Just found the H&S at Work article regarding fire drills and other fire related matters at; http://www.healthandsafe...hsw/fire/nationwide-wmfs Have a good read.
Psycho  
#14 Posted : 12 August 2014 16:52:57(UTC)
Psycho

i would if i could but i get this Sorry, only subscribers can view the full article
gahan  
#15 Posted : 18 August 2014 16:41:11(UTC)
gahan

It is the staff that require training, not the customers. If you are going to do an evacuation, do it out of hours. Temporarily block some fire exits with a chair and large sign that says, fire exit out of use, find an alternative exit route. Give the staff something to think about rather than going through the motions. Have 3 or 4 people strategically placed to watch what they do and how they act when confonted by obstacles. Make sure that if you do this, you remove the obstacles once the drill is over.