Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lojikglos  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2015 08:45:59(UTC)
Lojikglos

Morning all Wondering what arrangements members employees have in place ref free Eye Tests fro DSE users Another on the long to do list for me to set up for my new employer ALSO any tips on how I would go about setting it up . . .is it simply a case of contacting the eye test provider and putting something in place Thanks in advance L
achrn  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2015 09:35:08(UTC)
achrn

We reviewed various options and went for one of the voucher schemes. Employee requests a voucher, takes voucher to provider and gets eyetest. If they need glasses they get glasses. We get invoiced by provider every so often. It works with minimum aggro (except where the person you put in charge of the book of vouchers takes it on themselves to give everyone requesting one the third degree, but that's just a case of training the admin person that everyone is entitled to a voucher at least once every three years without going through an interrogation). We went for Boots / Dolland&Aitchison as the provider, mainly because there were branches conveniently local to our two biggest offices. We phoned them up, completed a credit application, they sent us the books of vouchers. All quite straightforward.
Lojikglos  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2015 10:43:22(UTC)
Lojikglos

Nice one achrn Cheers
safetyamateur  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2015 11:16:23(UTC)
safetyamateur

Similar thing for us (but with Specsavers), even the Gestapo admin! User completes application for voucher. Collects voucher. Gets test. Presents report if glasses specific to use are necessary. Seems to work fine.
jwg  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2015 13:22:58(UTC)
jwg

We use evouchers from Specsaver. It works very well for us. Staff following our procedure could in theory have the electronic voucher in their email inbox within a couple of minutes from request. All the information is held on a database that we have access to which helps with audit trails. the memeber of staff just have to print it out then take it with them. The only complaints we had when we changed the system is by those who want to go to an optician of their choice instead of the one we have designated. But within the DSE Regs/guidance we can choose the provider. We've probably saved nearly 50% of the budget as previously people were being paid for glasses that may not have been required specifically for VDU use - as previously they would present their receipt to me after going to the optician and the optician would sign the form with no just regard.
mylesfrancis  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2015 09:03:27(UTC)
mylesfrancis

I've previously used the offering from Tesco. It is an web-based system with users applying for a voucher online which they then print and take to their local store with an optician. The organisation only gets billed if the user requires DSE glasses, rather than having to pay for vouchers up front.
chris42  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2015 09:07:57(UTC)
chris42

quote=achrn], but that's just a case of training the admin person that everyone is entitled to a voucher at least once every three years without going through an interrogation).
I always thought it was every 2 years but when I tried to check it was not in the regulations or guidance ? There is reference to two years on various web sites though. Did it used to be two years and it was changed or is my mind playing tricks again. Chris
achrn  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2015 11:47:42(UTC)
achrn

Chris42 wrote:
achrn wrote:
, but that's just a case of training the admin person that everyone is entitled to a voucher at least once every three years without going through an interrogation).
I always thought it was every 2 years but when I tried to check it was not in the regulations or guidance ? There is reference to two years on various web sites though. Did it used to be two years and it was changed or is my mind playing tricks again.
Actually, I think it's as recommended by the optometrist. However, having quickly checked, we don't ask any questions if someone asks for another each two years, and two years does indeed seem to be the 'standard' interval. With respect to people using alternative providers, we do actually allow that too. Personally, I use my own optician, not the voucher scheme. If someone wants to use their own optician they have to get the optometrist to sign a form (against a declaration 'I confirm that the above named person has received a full sight test as defined in the Opticians Act legislation and related regulations and which complies with the statement of good practice concerning eye tests for DSE workers issued by the College of Optometrists.') and then they can claim up to what a voucher would cost us. In my experience, this doesn't come close to what the optician charges - but I like my optician. We explicitly warn staff that the amount they can claim probably won't cover what their optician charges.