Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lawlee45239  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2015 11:11:08(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Morning all,

Do any of you guys use the p50 extinguisher?

http://www.britannia-fir...uk/product/britannia-p50

I am now looking into these, as they are CE tested, have a 10 year life span and dont need to be tested.

mssy  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2015 21:53:56(UTC)
mssy

There's some doubt whether these P50s conform to BS5306-3 or BS5306-8 in relation to testing, so I am a little anxious about using them.

Basically they are kevlar units with non ferrous parts. However, they are not maintenance free as the suppliers do say they need to be inspected annually by the 'owner' and they provide training for these inspections to be made

We have 4 units on a very remote and rarely occupied site where operational reasons make maintenance very difficult and disruptive.

They have been commissioned on a trial basis. I am a little uneasy as I argue they remain a pressurised vessel and pose the risks any similar vessel would.

Our trial is 1 year into a 3 year period. We intend to open them up and inspect them after that 3 year period and check for corrosion and other defects. The result of that inspection will determine if we use them across our estate

Manufacturers site http://www.britannia-fir...uk/product/britannia-p50
Manufacturers brochure: http://www.britannia-fir...0A4%202012_single_lr.pdf
DP  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2015 06:16:19(UTC)
DP

Morning,

I attended a seminar in theses at the House of Commons - I attended as a guest of our Fire Primary Authority Partners.

A lot on influential people attending enforced this product. A lot of big retailers are using theses units.

They were also being endorsed as a British company too, apparently over 90% of FE's are imported from the Far East

As mssy states there is an annual inspection required and it's around using a magnet to reset the pressure values, you will notice it has two as a fail safe.

I'll see if I can dig out the slides, if I can find them I'll pm you for your mail address and send them over.
DP  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2015 06:17:20(UTC)
DP

Morning,

I attended a seminar in theses at the House of Commons - I attended as a guest of our Fire Primary Authority Partners.

A lot on influential people attending enforced this product. A lot of big retailers are using theses units.

They were also being endorsed as a British company too, apparently over 90% of FE's are imported from the Far East

As mssy states there is an annual inspection required and it's around using a magnet to reset the pressure values, you will notice it has two as a fail safe.

I'll see if I can dig out the slides, if I can find them I'll pm you for your mail address and send them over.
confined  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2015 09:58:31(UTC)
confined

Dp
I would love to see your slides please.

I have researched these and the only resistance out there is the fire extinguishers servicing companies ...no surprise there then.
I think they are ideal for shops , small businesses etc

We all know that the servicing of a extinguisher involves does not reflect the charges ...how much to change a washer (if it needs it that is ...doubt it) on a CO2 extinguisher ?

The only pain as I see it , is the change over from the old to the P50

Just my take ...I think it is a long time coming , love the product
Lawlee45239  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2015 11:22:14(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Thanks guys for the replies, they do look like a cost effective piece of equipment in the long run, I am not in retail though, these would be for a construction setting, so open to the elements and possible damage on site.
Invictus  
#7 Posted : 09 July 2015 11:43:05(UTC)
Invictus

Anyone have aprice for them. I do like asking them as you then are inundated with calls.
DP  
#8 Posted : 09 July 2015 11:57:48(UTC)
DP

The info is at home and Im not due home until Friday.

The team that presented at the HOC were the owner and another gentleman.

the contact number is -01508 481110

just ask if they can share the information pack from the below - I have cut and pasted the invite I received. I hope this helps....

Primary Authority Scheme, House of Commons Reception - 24 March 2015

I am pleased to advise you that Richard Bacon MP has kindly facilitated a reception at the House of Commons in support of Britannia Fire Ltd in order to engage with key participants in the Regulatory (fire safety) Primary Authority Schemes. The reception is scheduled to take place at 4 pm and due to conclude at 6 pm.

We feel that the reception will give a valuable opportunity for the selected lead fire and rescue service officers for the primary authority schemes to meet colleagues in convivial surroundings. Whilst room space necessitates limiting the numbers we also welcome you inviting one member of each of your Primary Authority Scheme business partnerships in order to allow PAS business clients to similarly network at this event.

If you supply the names and contact details of your fire and rescue service nomination and your business partner representatives I will be pleased to arrange for invitations to be dispatched for the event.

We are delighted that Sir Ken Knight, the Governments former Chief Fire and Rescue Adviser, has agreed to join us for the reception to welcome the guests and say a few words about the innovation of portable firefighting equipment that has culminated in the UK production by Britannia Fire Ltd of the P50* fire extinguisher.

We are sure you will find the evening interesting and of great benefit to you and to the primary authority scheme partners who attend.
Lawlee45239  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2015 12:49:41(UTC)
Lawlee45239

Invictus wrote:
Anyone have aprice for them. I do like asking them as you then are inundated with calls.

£149 + VAT I think I seen yesterday