Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
achrn  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2015 10:54:07(UTC)
achrn

IOSH are apparently surveying whether to support an asbestos eradication programme, which would require "Where asbestos is identified in any premises, ... the dutyholder must develop and implement a plan for the removal of all asbestos which ensures that removal is completed as soon as is reasonably practical but certainly no later than 2035." Our main head-office building (four-storey 1980s office building, reinforced concrete frame, brick walls) has asbestos in the damp-proof course membrane. Does anyone have any bright ideas for how you'd replace a damp-proof course membrane in an existing largish building? You could theoretically pin through the walls, cut out a couple of courses of bricks and reinstate, but it would be astronomically difficult - not far short of knocking the building down and building a new one. To my mind, it would be pointless to carry out such a difficult process (with consequent health and safety risks) to remove material in which there is a very small asbestos content, and what is present is fully composite within a matrix and cannot be released by any foreseeable means. Any comments?
JayPownall  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2015 11:15:15(UTC)
JayPownall

Whilst not a construction bod - I would hope that should this eradication programme come to fruition, that some form of ALARP would be adopted when assessing removal work required. It seems that in your example it would be grossly disproportionate to spend 'x' amount and involve considerable risk to achieve a relatively small positive outcome. As you say, you may well create more of a H&S issue trying to remove and replace the damp course than if you left it, with an asbestos management plan in place. I can't imagine this scheme would work - I suspect many would find it easier (although not ideal) to demolish and relocate as opposed to trying to remove. If you get any more info on this please do share.
descarte8  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2015 11:24:20(UTC)
descarte8

I thought this had already been passed by European Parliament years ago for the deadline of 2028 http://www.europarl.euro...13-0093+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN European Parliament resolution of 14 March 2013 on asbestos related occupational health threats and prospects for abolishing all existing asbestos Urges the EU to conduct an impact assessment and cost benefit analysis of the possibility of establishing action plans for the safe removal of asbestos from public buildings and buildings providing services which require regular public access by 2028, and to provide information and guidelines to encourage private house owners to effectively audit and risk-assess their premises for ACMs
achrn  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2015 11:53:34(UTC)
achrn

Descarte8 wrote:
I thought this had already been passed by European Parliament years ago for the deadline of 2028
Yebbut that's a request to consider thinking about the possibility of maybe working out what it might cost to implement an eradication plan on public buildings, which is a rather less definite proposal. (At least with respect to impact on the UK - parts of the document require things that the UK already required even then).
KDP  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2015 13:31:38(UTC)
KDP

In theory, a good idea. In reality, cost will be the barrier to implementation. I cant imagine many duty-holders; schools, colleges, health authorities, local authorities, police authorities, charities, Government, MOD, businesses, etc. being able to afford the upheaval/removal/reinstatement/remedial costs. And it would be a very brave Government indeed that decides the tax-payer should pay. I also imagine that owners/landlords of buildings will not be able to sell or find tenants unless the building was certified asbestos free, as no prospective new owner/tenant would take on the role of duty-holder of a building where asbestos is present. achrn's building typifies the upheaval/removal/remediation cost - plus the H&S risks of undertaking the work.
walker  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2015 13:45:04(UTC)
walker

Even if "they" followed this through we would still be just moving it from one place to another. Unless we are going to blast it out into spce the hazard has not gone away.
Ian Bell  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2015 14:20:29(UTC)
Ian Bell

The proposal also makes little sense with respect to other hazardous chemicals which can cause cancer etc. Shall we stop using those as well? Let alone any other industrial hazards etc. Life is a risk.
jay  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2015 14:43:35(UTC)
jay

The survey is whether IOSH should support the OSH All Party Parliamentary Group's proposal for eradicating asbestos. Pls note that the OSH All Party Parliamentary Group has already commended IOSH for its "No Time to Loose " campaign on occupational cancers.
jay  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2015 14:46:17(UTC)
jay

NickW  
#10 Posted : 13 August 2015 15:08:56(UTC)
NickW

The 'horse has bolted' on this one. It might cause more fatal occupational illness than anything else but this proposal is flawed on several levels. Quoting the bill document "All commercial, public, and rented domestic premises have to conduct, and register with the HSE, a survey done by a registered consultant which indicates whether asbestos containing material is present, and, if so, where it is and in what condition, to be completed no later than 2022". HOW is this workable? The only way to find ALL the asbestos is to do a demolition asbestos survey which involves pulling the fabric of the building apart. Just doing a visual management survey will only find the surface stuff so wont ensure safety of people working on the building. "Resources should be made available to the enforcing agencies to ensure that they can ensure that all workplaces and public places are complying with the regulation relating to management and removal, and that disposal is being done responsibly and safely" WHO is going to pay for this? it will mean higher taxes or claw back via FFI. Plus no doubt more borrowing on the never-never, especially to fund it in public buildings. They need to learn from the mistakes of the 'duty to manage' which came in 2004 when they put a timescale on it. EVERYONE wanted a survey! Joe-Bloggs goes on a P402 course on the monday, passes on the friday and on monday is calling themselves 'asbestos consultant/surveyor'. Result? An asbestos survey boom followed by loads of wasted money on shoddy 'surveys'. I am impressed by the sensible attitudes of those posting to date.
KDP  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2015 15:46:06(UTC)
KDP

Walker is right...... I wonder how & where this asbestos debris/material and the associated contaminated waste will be transported & disposed of? (aka stored) And how might future generations manage the disposal/storage sites?
RayRapp  
#12 Posted : 14 August 2015 09:05:32(UTC)
RayRapp

We are all aware of the historical use of ACMs and the legacy it has left. That said, in the great scheme of things I would have thought there are more pressing matters to be concerned about when it comes to health and safety. For public institutions like LAs, they have hundreds/thousands of properties which contain ACMs, probably many do not even know the total amount. The cost of removal would be prohibitive unless funded by central government.
Safety Smurf  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2015 09:12:22(UTC)
Safety Smurf

Had a thought last night (don't worry, there was a fire extinguisher to hand). how many hospitals across the UK have so much asbestos in them that the only cost effective option would be to demolish and build new? I'm guessing the ones that don't could probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.
chris42  
#14 Posted : 14 August 2015 09:41:55(UTC)
chris42

This does sound a bit negative, not that I'm saying your arguments are wrong, shouldn't we be thinking of how it can be done other than expensive removal and disposal cost. From #1 I got the view that there was a group being set up to look at how it might be done. For instance we have moved on technology wise since the 1950's so can we actually use the waste asbestos in a way that will never release the fibres, but give us a "valuable" resource. That would cut cost dramatically as we currently dig a big hole and bury it. Perhaps we should think about the "how do you eat an elephant" way of looking at it. Possibly bring in that when the more harmful asbestos is found in any survey, then a ten year programme of removal is instigated. Tackle it a bit at a time, spread the costs over a long period of time. Can we keep ignoring the problem, we will run out of places to dig holes and bury it at some point. Chris
Safety Smurf  
#15 Posted : 14 August 2015 10:01:31(UTC)
Safety Smurf

totally agree with you Chris but the recommendations of the Bill are absolute. how many of us are living in a house built in the 50s with a bitumen DPC or bitumen floor insulation? and what will it be worth when you've paid off the mortgage if this comes in?
noop1  
#16 Posted : 14 August 2015 15:31:22(UTC)
noop1

I agree with the comments posted, not only is there the issue around removal costs and further issues around exposure, where on earth (literally) would the waste go? Removal companies face the additional costs of health surveillance certification from GP's and licensing. Surely concessions should be made for these companies if this eradiaction bill came to fruition? I am unable to open a easy to read version of the bill with the link IOSH sent. Can someone send me a readable copy?
Safety Smurf  
#17 Posted : 14 August 2015 15:39:12(UTC)
Safety Smurf

noop1 wrote:
I agree with the comments posted, not only is there the issue around removal costs and further issues around exposure, where on earth (literally) would the waste go? Removal companies face the additional costs of health surveillance certification from GP's and licensing. Surely concessions should be made for these companies if this eradiaction bill came to fruition? I am unable to open a easy to read version of the bill with the link IOSH sent. Can someone send me a readable copy?
PM me an email address and I'll send you a PDF version
jay  
#18 Posted : 14 August 2015 16:56:35(UTC)
jay

There is no current bill for this proposal in the 2015-2016 session. the only way it might be considered is via a Private Members Bill if at all. The chances of a Private Members Bill being given full scrutiny etc are remote. I participated in the survey--it is minimal survey, but ifyou feel strongly either way, please complete the survey! As far as I am concerned, there is no way this will go ahead unless the proposal is properly costed and timescales realistic. Eradicating in the next 100 years may be realistic, but not by 2023.
jay  
#19 Posted : 14 August 2015 16:58:36(UTC)
jay

Apparently, this was a topic at the IOSH Annual Conference:- http://www.fm-world.co.u...d-from-public-buildings/
boblewis  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2015 09:31:42(UTC)
boblewis

I think a flying pig will be easier to achieve than this pipe dream. Yes once all buildings of pre 2000 are demolished then we may come close to total eradication except in the hard landscaping. We will also have some very large tracts of contaminated landfill sites unsuitable for any future development. As for the IOSH support one would be talking of self powered vertical ascent on to moving wagons supporting a band. Someone thinks this would make good publicity methinks
boblewis  
#21 Posted : 15 August 2015 09:33:33(UTC)
boblewis

I should perhaps add that many historic and listed structures also contain acms - I presume our architectural heritage is also to be lost.
JerryT  
#22 Posted : 16 September 2015 11:00:37(UTC)
JerryT

I think if it's secure and safe where it is, it should just be left alone. Someone times it's more dangerous to up heave it. Just look at the facts:- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/436075176398257285/
Ron Hunter  
#23 Posted : 16 September 2015 13:29:15(UTC)
Ron Hunter

The EU resolution: "Urges the EU to conduct an impact assessment and cost benefit analysis of the possibility of establishing action plans for the safe removal of asbestos from public buildings and buildings providing services which require regular public access by 2028" and "encourages the EU to work with the social partners and other stakeholders at European, national and regional levels to develop and share action plans for asbestos removal and management." Somewhere down the line, these have become translated into a clamour for specific action, action which anyone with a bit of knowledge recognises as counter-productive. The resolution also recognises that landfill is not a long term answer. Inerting processes have existed for some time, but they are hugely energy intensive.
Hally  
#24 Posted : 16 September 2015 13:36:58(UTC)
Hally

Reasonably sure one of or maybe all the EU buildings in Brussels have problems with asbestos. Pretty sure when i was there about ten years ago staying nearby, that one of the buildings was having major works done to it, when they found the issue to be worse than they thought. No idea how new those building are they use.