Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David T  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2016 09:48:48(UTC)
David T

Hi all I'm in the process of reviewing our fire evacuation plans, to standardise their format. As an opportunity and a general question, how common is the use of a Fire Safety Policy? Many thanks David
Ali Sooltan  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2016 13:47:22(UTC)
Ali Sooltan

You start with what is legally required (fire risk assessment, fire plan etc). The FS policy can complement this, but is not mandatory. It is basically a record of your procedures and a way of expressing the company's way of implementing fire precautions, training, equipment servicing etc..is more useful for large or complex organisations or where you have several different buildings.
David T  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2016 15:16:44(UTC)
David T

Thanks Ali I thought that was the case and not mandatory. I think I need to further consider the FSP and see if it will help to standardise our fire evac plans. Kind regards David
sadlass  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2016 19:04:12(UTC)
sadlass

Policy: a course or principle of action adopted or proposed by an organisation or individual. Synonyms: plans, strategy, blueprint, approach, scheme, programme, schedule, code, system, guidelines, intentions, theory, line, position, stance, attitude, practice, custom, procedure, wont, way, routine, style, convention, mode, rule . . . the list goes on. Personally I only hang the term 'policy' onto something which the organisation executive (not me) has actively decided / agreed upon. If it's just my own good idea, then I may call it a strategy, plan, guidance, rules, procedure, depending on intended audience.
O'Donnell54548  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2016 12:24:04(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

I have always included the Fire Safety Arrangements (roles & responsibilities, training, etc) in my H&S Policy rather than have a separate one for fire.
mssy  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2016 04:57:22(UTC)
mssy

Article 11 of The Fire Safety Order states: "The responsible person must make and give effect to such arrangements as are appropriate, having regard to the size of his undertaking and the nature of its activities, for the effective planning, organisation, control, monitoring and review of the preventive and protective measures". So in England and Wales, most businesses will have to record how they manage fire safety. The 'having regard to the size' part of the Article can be interpreted as meaning that if you have a single, low risk and medium size premises - its possible to record the provisions to cover Article 11 within the FRA document. For more complicated or larger premises, those with a higher risk or where an organisation has multiple sites, a fire safety policy may be a better was to cover this regulatory requirement. Be warned that during recent fire safety audits, I have seen an increased emphasis on 'management' with Inspecting Officers asking to see any policy and one IO trying to insist a FS policy was a requirement.
RayRapp  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2016 09:06:25(UTC)
RayRapp

If I am reading this correct, you could have an Emergency Plan which would articulate the processes required in an emergency to include training, escape routes, fire alarm, etc. Sitting outside of this you could also have a Fire Safety Policy which would go into greater deatil about roles and responsibilities within the organisation, general training provision, FRAs, etc. I think it very much depends on the size and number of buildings which the organisation is responsible for and whether these are domestic, non-domestic or both. I do agree with mssy, the fire and rescue service seem to be focusing on the 'management' of fire safety in the wider context. Hence if you have a large portfolio of properties I cannot see how you could get away with not having a Fire Safety Policy.