Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2004 16:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Beardmore Health and Safety Officer Harlesden, London £18,000 - £22,000 p.a. + benefits (dependent upon qualifications and experience) One of the original sites of the United Biscuits group, McVitie’s Harlesden has become the largest food manufacturing site in Europe, producing nearly 80,000 tonnes of product per year. Manufacture of the groups core brands including household names such as Digestive, Homewheat, Hobnobs and Mini Cheddars, mean that standards mustn’t slip when it comes to quality, efficiency and safety. In order to support our continuous improvement approach to safety, a vacancy has arisen for a Health and Safety Officer, reporting directly to the Safety and Environment Manager. You will help to ensure that both legal standards and Company policies are followed, and assist in the delivery of challenging safety targets as the site moves through a period of significant change. You will have the opportunity to influence all aspects of the site’s Health and Safety performance. The role’s activities will include: * Development and implementation of company policies * Completion of site inspections and audits * Creation and maintenance of effective induction and training material * Management of investigation of accidents and near-miss incidents * Co-ordination and maintenance of record keeping systems * Issuing reports to S&E Manager and site management teams The successful candidate will be expected to provide health and safety cover in the absence of the Safety & Environment Manager and therefore must be able to demonstrate the ability to take the initiative. The Candidate: The successful candidate will have a good knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation, a tenacious and determined attitude to problem solving and will be a confident communicator with good presentation skills. They will be able to demonstrate good planning and organisational skills, as well as good written skills including report writing and presentation of statistical data. Qualifications and Experience: NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent. A minimum of 1 year’s experience within a manufacturing environment with some training experience are essential, however strong candidates with experience from other environments may be considered. Experience of working in a unionised environment is also desirable. Computer literacy skills are essential, and candidates will also need a full driving licence as this role may require travel from time to time between three sites across the Thames Valley region. For further information contact Martin Beardmore on: Tel: 0208 955 3645 or email direct: martin_beardmore@unitedbiscuits.com Apply in writing with your CV to: Martin Beardmore, McVitie’s (UK), Waxlow Road, Harlesden, London, NW10 7NY
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2004 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Sounds wonderful, where would we live? for how much? for how long? Even if you paid the top of the scale on offer, I doubt if anyone could relocate on that wage!!! A mortgage is out of the question. Yep it will be a challenge. Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2004 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Agree Mike - Just shows how serious some company's are about H&S. But, no doubt, they will get someone for that price.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2004 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams The well known phrase that connects peanuts and monkeys springs to mind. That salary, in London! It fills me with confidence to know that the person responsible for safety in a factory that produces such high profile brands that my family regularly use will have their finger on the pulse...Not! Note to self, review buying habits.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Come on lads, its not a bad wage considering the qualifications.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KEVIN O'KANE Well if you fail to be shortlisted for this one,there is always 2 posts available in Surrey (the most expensive county for housing in the UK)police for a mega £18,180 (pg 148 this months SHP).......join a orderly queue now
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2004 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karen Todd Guys, It could be worse. I had to take a huge drop in salary and work for £16k (my lowest salary since my first job after uni) to get into H&S full time. I was also doing a 90 mile round trip to work as well, so spending the guts of £200/month on diesel. It did put severe financial pressure on me and once I realised the promised decent salary rises were not forthcoming, I started to look around. Now earning good money, 3.5 miles from the house. I think it would be hazardous to one's health working for McVities - I would stuff my face with chocolate hob-nobs all day! Karen
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2004 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts It seems that this is aimed at those who already have an income from a pension. Perhaps ex military or similar. Have to say though not much is it? I expect with overtime production workers are on more, so where is the incentive to be in the firing line and deal with all the hastle involved. How much credibility does this demonstrate for the position with the Quals asked for or not. This type of advert is often seen how employers describe the size of the company and how much turn over is involved...bla..bla when in this case only crumbs are offered. No wonder they are successful. Lew
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee £22K plus benefits for NEBOSH Cert holding "Health and Safety Officer, reporting directly to the Safety and Environment Manager" doesnt seem that bad to me. I would have jumped at this when I first passed the Cert.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2004 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Amy Upton It's nice to think that some people have such well paid jobs with brilliant companies that they can afford to pick and chose Being recently qualified £22k plus benefits sounds good to me Also when I move on it would be good to have a large company like United Biscuits on my CV I know people who work for the company and they have informed me that UB are a great company to work for and actively encourage development among their employees my friend informs me they have just paid £4.5k for him to take the NEBOSH dip. Another employee has just undertaken a masters degree and an environmental dip all paid for by the company Sometimes the benefits outweigh the salary and surely the whole package should be considered Getting to know the facts before critising is always essential when passing judgement
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 May 2004 17:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brett Day £18-22k, I was on 12K after passing my general certificate, so not bad at all, last year I left a 'world class' (their descripotion) engineering consultancy, earning £26K as a PS / H&S Consultant. Despite driving near 20,000 miles a year I didn't qualify for a car (I was the wrong grade), when I complained I ended up with a car (or to be precise three, all MOT failures, one unsafe!!) So by comparison not at all bad especially if there is the willing of the company to develop the person taking the post, also if that person has someone they can talk to (higher up) to cover things they might have a problem with or learn from it could make all the difference. The only reason I stayed with the 'world class' consultancy was the fact that I had a bloody good boss who knew his stuff, was keen to see the people within his department develop professionally and was willing to do the best he could for his department. I'm now in a well paid job and enjoying it, but we all have to start some where. Personally I'd rather be doing a job for £18-22K certificate qualified than be degree qualified on the same money, which is what a lot of LA's seem to be looking for !!!!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 May 2004 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Jim You said something like - not bad considering the qualifications. Have another look at the advert - the qualifications required are quite high. Experience in a manufacturing environment, training experience, able to take the initiative, computer literate and a NEBOSH Certificate. Now take the London allowance out of £18K, say £4K. It is a low salary whichever way you look at it.
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 May 2004 19:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Well said Geof!!! The salary is poor even if you lived around the corner. We dont all have well paid jobs as someone suggested, but we all have common sense. I worked in London over 20 years ago as a shopfitter and I would not have opened my tool box for that salary way back then. How would you live? Rent a flat! no chance. even if you could get one it would cost you 600+ a month. Buy a flat. Not a snowballs chance in hell! Unless you sign up to a 100 year mortgage at £800 a month, but you will not have the salary required to be accepted. Transport! congestion charges, parking fees, parking fines, clamping. Food, clothing all adds up. London weighting is not paid for nothing.Don't say the underground. I have just come back from Congress House last week on a Corporate Killing seminar we tried the tube from Kings Cross and it was a nightmare. A good old taxi driver saved the day. London Bah humbug! When will employers of these organisations realise that to get the best you have to pay for the best and a good safety officer/adviser can actually save money and be self funding. Mike
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 May 2004 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Question for Lewis: Why would someone with a pension (say ex military) want to take a position for less than they are worth? In my experience this is just the sort of excuse a prospective employer uses to pay less. I'm afraid it does not work that way and may even be construed as discriminatory. Are you saying that this particular role is worth £27.000 but that an ex serviceman may have a £5.000 pension and therfore would be willing to accept the £22.000?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 19 May 2004 12:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoffrey Yes, Some people are prepared to take a lower salary if they have a pension coming in. Is that not common sense?
Admin  
#16 Posted : 19 May 2004 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The salary and job role for a cert holder may be all the more surprising when one considers some senior members of IOSH have worked in this company. I personally am dismayed at seeing salary levels well below the national average wage for the responsibilities placed on any comparatively junior person. Even for a recently qualified role I would hope to be looking at offering around 24-26k nowdays. Bob
Admin  
#17 Posted : 19 May 2004 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard S Pigg to be far, salaries are generally low in the food production industry. I was recently speaking to a client (who produces food for a major supermarket) and their margins are tiny - if they try to up prices the supermarket will just use someone else, they are constantly treading the thin line solvency.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 19 May 2004 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Geoffrey, I will concede that some people are prepared to take a reduction in salary if they have got a pension coming in but would suggest that it is different to an employer expecting one to take a reduction because you have a pension. What do others think? Perhaps this is a thread more appropriate to the chat forum Malcolm
Admin  
#19 Posted : 19 May 2004 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By emadeldin Abdelaziz abdelwahab dear sir here you find attached my cv . for the safety officer vacancy best regards emadeldin
Admin  
#20 Posted : 19 May 2004 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson If you really want a poorly paid job spend 3 years studying as an undergraduate in a science subject, then another 3 to 4 years to get your PhD. Build up a large student debt while you are studying. Then you might be able to obtain a job as a Research Assistant on a 3 year contract on the handsome starting salary of £19k. If you don’t believe me go to www.jobs.ac.uk. But this is often seen as the first step on the academic ladder which can if you are successful can lead to secure well paid positions. So don’t just look at the initial salary see it as the first step on the ladder.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 19 May 2004 17:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I understand where you are coming from John but this advert is not worded at people taking a first step on the ladder. It is looking for an applicant who has experience and has carried out training, and it is in London. Fine for someone who lives at home perhaps, but who else could afford to take it?
Admin  
#22 Posted : 19 May 2004 21:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Its been awhile now since this job was posted. I think this is the second time around. Would be intereting to hear from the person who posted it to see if they have found a suitable candidate or just to comment on the comments. One last thing! Its a bad job if having spent over £3K getting a diploma or a Certificate at £300, would have to be in receipt of a pension to be able to afford to take that all important 'first step on the ladder'job at £22k. Mike
Admin  
#23 Posted : 19 May 2004 22:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Davies Manufacture of the groups core brands including household names such as Digestive, Homewheat, Hobnobs and Mini Cheddars, mean that standards mustn’t slip when it comes to quality, efficiency and safety. ....... So we are stating that safety is last in the line before quality and efficiency !!! whilst i agree with many of you who would have jumped at a post such as this after passing the Cert. Be assured, that these days you need to put safety at the top of your priority's simply because if the most efficient company is spending so much money on INS. due to poor stats....... due to poor SHE systems then companies need to realise these issues before they get "HOB NOBED"
Admin  
#24 Posted : 19 May 2004 22:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Davies Valid point but what are the priority's ??? Manufacture of the groups core brands including household names such as Digestive, Homewheat, Hobnobs and Mini Cheddars, mean that standards mustn’t slip when it comes to quality, efficiency and safety. Quality or safety. Alarp springs to mind.... and any safety profesional would be aware and probably avoid the post. in your words... should a major company be aware of this ? Are we not in the job to contribute to peoples safety ??? AD