Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2006 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Grant Dixon Hello all I'm in CDM and on two occasions operatives from our company have been told that Rigger Boots sre no longer allowed on site due to lack of ankle protection. I'm aware that a Principal Contractor makes the site rules but can anyone shed any light on this? Has there been any cases or legislation, etc. on this subject? Kind regards, Grant
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2006 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By The toecap PPE must afford the user adequate protection and be suitable for the userI done see a problem with them
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2006 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bunny This has been discussed on the forum before so if you put in a search then you'll find more information. Yes, it is true that some sites have banned rigger boots. Something to do with inadequate ankle support. I'm afraid that individual sites and companies can determine their own PPE requirements so if they want to ban rigger boots they can.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2006 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By RA There are much better boots out there- but I am not going to start advertising. Suffice to say I ran a survey amongst all on our projects and found that most on-site operatives had the same to say- Riggers are too heavy when wet and that you can go over on your ankle very easy. So all on-site now have been provided with alternative protective footwear that offers good support throughout, and the wet does not seem to increase the weight.......so far!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2006 12:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By The toecap All this is very well but what about your employer only providing you with £25 towards footwear. And the best thing for you is riggers
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2006 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Compared to my Scarpa four season mountain boots, my safety boots offer very little (if any) ankle support whatsoever. I believe that if we as professionals are making judgement about the suitability footwear, then we should be able to back this up with hard evidential research. This debate about rigger boots vs. anke boots has been going on as far as I am aware for over ten years. If we need ankle support then the standard of support should be as good as that on my mountain boots.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2006 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve B In my experience, although rigger boots dont offer the protection they should in some circumstances, people choose them for one reason (the ease to put on and take off) like any PPE, left to peoples own devices they will choose the easiest option. Regards Steve p.s just carrying out a PPE survey for hand protection.... people are so lazy.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2006 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Moran Like other PPE, the selection of foot protection is aided by risk-assessment and by looking at previous accidents/incidents. In the case of the road-surfacing industry for example, most contractors prefer to avoid rigger boots as they can allow hot bituminous material to drop inside, offer limited ankle support, and can be dragged off the foot in certain accident/incident scenarios. Further to a number of foot injuries in the industry over the last couple of years, many contractors are now supplying metatarsal boots. Dropped items have an uncanny habit of missing the normal toe-cap!