Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2006 11:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AMD Hello everyone I have nominated myself to help different wards & departments in a hospital update there very very old coshh files. I have been searching for current msds for the substances. However when looking for BOC gases msds I found that the company themselves have not updated the msds sheets since 1994, can they still be used despite the fact that oels are replaced with wels?? Also is there a need to include tippex & acetone in the coshh file even though they are used in such small amounts?? Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2006 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By garyh I would contact the manufacturer or supplier of your gases, there will surely be a more modern SDS. As for your COSHH file, I would list all hazardsous substances, then make sure you have full hazard data (like the SDS). You then decide (document this!) which substances require full assessments. Acetone is highly flammable (not really a COSHH aspect, I know) and is I believe harmful and irritant. I would produce an assessment if I were you. I recall an incident a few years back where workers were using small amounts of Acetone but dispensing it from a 40 gallon (200l) drum ......... they had a serious spillage, which fired with severe consequences. The workers didn't really understand the hazards. My point is, they only used small amounts but they stored a drum of it - you need to look at the whole picture.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2006 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AMD Hi garyh Thanks for such a quick response I did contact BOC directly who supply the gas to us & the msds were last updated in 1994, that is why I am unsure if to use them Also the acetone is used to remove nail varnish from patients & are aupplied in the small bottles you would find in any pharmacy or shop
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2006 18:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Remember that the Safety Data Sheet may not provide sufficient information for a COSHH risk assessment. Just look at paragraph 13 of the ACoP on COSHH for confirmation of this. You may need to request additional information from the supplier in order to comply with section 6-1 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974. As far as acetone in nail varnish remover is concerned, I think you will find that a simple risk assessment indicates that the level of exposure, both respiratory and skin, is minimal so no significant risk.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2006 15:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason911 I think this may be an issue across many different types of businesses. For example I work for a wholesaler and find it difficult to keep track of what our buyers are purchasing for sale in the store and ensuring that we have a data sheet for it. I am sure that I am not the only one, am I?