Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thomas  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2011 10:06:32(UTC)
Thomas

We currently allow employees to purchase safety shoes to the value of £40 and there still appears to be a good selection with the required safety rating at this price. If employees choose a higher value then this is deducted over a number of months from their pay. Some employees are asking for this to be increased (£60 mentioned) but my feeling is this is only to allow branded footwear to be purchased. Also, if an employee has a verified medical condition the company will pay whatever is required to ensure they have appropriate safety footwear. Does anyone else think £40 is too little?
Andrew W Walker  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2011 10:17:48(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

£40 is a good allowance for footwear that will be supplied to people who don't need specifics because of a medical condition. I can't see any reason why you would raise this to £60.
Malcolm  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2011 10:30:04(UTC)
Malcolm

I agree £40 is a good allowance for safety shoes there are some very good quality ones around for 30-40 pounds. I suspect like you they are after branded items.
Canopener  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2011 11:05:38(UTC)
Canopener

Thomas, there has been a similar thread to this in the past couple of weeks, that you may want to have a look at. While I don't think that £40 is 'too little', you should make sure that any PPE is provided on the basis of protecting against the hazards identified and taking into account the individual needs of the person, not only medical needs, but the needs of the job as well.
kevbell  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2011 11:29:09(UTC)
kevbell

Thomas, Phil is spot on with what he said , we have a sliding scale on price for PPE at my place as house keeping do not need the different foot wear that the maintenance team need so price per pair is different as the amount of protection needed is different.
John J  
#6 Posted : 10 March 2011 12:00:48(UTC)
John J

Seems very generous to me. Our typical workshoe is less than half that price. Word of caution on the medical front, you need the person to give you some guidance, from there podiaterist, as to what features a shoe requires to meet their medical needs. If you don't you end up wasting a lot of money trying to find a suitable shoe.
PhilBeale  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2011 12:32:59(UTC)
PhilBeale

i bought a very comfortable pair for £19 from screwfix and toolstation do a similar price range. i certainly saw a lot for £100+ but I'm to tight to pay anywhere near that. maybe track down some stores that do safety shoes for £40 so to offer as bigger range as possible to the staff. Phil
Barrie(Badger)Etter  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:01:36(UTC)
Barrie(Badger)Etter

Tom, We until last year were restricted to £40 but give an unannounced lee-way of an additional £5 this year with anything over that you pay for out of your wages. So like others I think you have the right value set up. Badger
Taylor  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:37:36(UTC)
Taylor

How does this stack up vs the regulations? Under Section 9 of HSW Act no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. How does the situation in question here fit with that?
Invictus  
#10 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:45:32(UTC)
Invictus

Taylor wrote:
How does this stack up vs the regulations? Under Section 9 of HSW Act no charge can be made to the worker for the provision of PPE which is used only at work. How does the situation in question here fit with that?
A lot of companies seem to buy into the, 'I don't like the boots you supply and want to buy my own' so the company will give them the money they would normally be allocated for the boots from the company and let them put the rest to it. As long as the boots are then checked against what is required for the job then they are both happy. If the employee requires a special boot then they may cost more, and the employer will normally foot the bill.
Taylor  
#11 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:52:33(UTC)
Taylor

Farrell - thanks. Whilst I can see why this might be practical and both parties are 'happy' it still leaves me with the question ' Is it legal?' From a practicality standpoint I can see that it probably doesn't matter too much and I doubt the HSE would be too interested, I'm just curious as to what people think. I would argue based on what the regs say (and the Guidance to the PPE regs Reg 4), that 'no charge can be made' - therefore it's illegal is it not?
teh_boy  
#12 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:53:16(UTC)
teh_boy

Taylor wrote:
The requirment under the PPE regulations is only to provide PPE that is fit for purpose, and alow for individual needs. IMHO my £25 uvex boots are signifcantly better than my £90 Cat boots. Also the £25 meet all legal requirments. the issue here is if you alow free choice people go for the heavily advertised branded boots and it becomes about fashion. This does not ensure safety and wrong PPE may be chosen. There are also other issues, we buy about 400 pairs of boots a year, if we limit supply we can get massive discounts and get a better boot for a lower cost. If a range is availuiable that are compliant and special cases are catered for then this meets all requirements of section 9. My immpresion was the poster had a good system as was compliant Crack on it's friday PS this agrgument is ongoing where I work and makes me cry :) It should be so so simples.
teh_boy  
#13 Posted : 11 March 2011 13:58:16(UTC)
teh_boy

Sorry a better answer :) S9 = "No employer shall levy or permit to be levied on any employee of his any charge in respect of anything done or provided in pursuance of any specific requirement of the relevant statutory provisions". however I comply by giving footwear to a recognised standard. I offer 3 choices = Fully compliant! To charge for basic PPE, or expect employees to provide = illegal
Taylor  
#14 Posted : 11 March 2011 14:07:42(UTC)
Taylor

teh_boy - fully agree with everything you say in both your posts. My point is that as an employer, if I allow an employee to have a pair of £60 boots then I have to pay the full £60. I can't (legally - IMO) take £20 off them towards it. My experience, as you have said, has been to limit the choice - being sensible about this and allowing a reasonable choice. However, if I allow them to have it, I have to pay for it !
13farrar  
#15 Posted : 11 March 2011 14:29:49(UTC)
13farrar

teh_boy said IMHO my £25 uvex boots are signifcantly better than my £90 Cat boots. Also the £25 meet all legal requirments. I met a guy on a construction site 3 years ago who had stood on a large drawing pin which penetrated his foot causing discomfort. He had paid £85 to get a brand name which did not fit all of the criteria, ie no steel mid-sole. He assumed that the more you pay the more you get. But I knew of footwear costing £30 and less which amply offered protection and comfort. £40 IMO is extremely generous.
Silver fox  
#16 Posted : 11 March 2011 17:55:30(UTC)
Silver fox

You also need to consider the vat implications for the company if you are only paying part of the cost of the boot.
achrn  
#17 Posted : 11 March 2011 19:31:51(UTC)
achrn

I think it depends upon what the required standard is - if you just need 345 SB you'll get that easily with £40, and I think it a reasonably generous allowance. If you need S3 (ie normally specified to get penetration resistant insole) boots there's some choice at £40, but if you need something more esoteric it's not enough. Last year I needed some S3 CI (ie cold-store boots - I needed rated at -25C) but not rigger-boot style, and the absolute cheapest I could find was about £60. I'm sure there are other options that would push it up further. I will offer a voice of dissent though - the medium price (around the £60 mark) boots are generally more comfortable than the ones bought on the basis of whatever's cheapest while hitting the standard. Maybe those who find the cheapest ones super comfy should be thanking some deity you have the same shape feet as the manufacturer, or something. Notwithstanding which, my understanding is that you can't let employees 'top up' to buy better boots for themselves - PPE needs to be provided and needs to be free to the user.
Juan Carlos Arias  
#18 Posted : 11 March 2011 21:01:01(UTC)
Juan Carlos Arias

40??? We buy good quality ones for an industrial bakery for less than half that! We don't buy the cheapest either and people are happy with what we provide. Absolutely not "too little" they're probably pulling my leg.