Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2000 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ali Taylor Hi there, I am looking for some unbiased advice on whether I should continue my HS&E Education with the NEBOSH Diploma Part 2 or a PgC, PgD, MSc. I currently have a degree in Environmental Science, the NEBOSH Certificate, NEBOSH Diploma Part 1 and 3 years experience in the HS&E profession. If you were an employer what would you look for?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2000 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Ali, Most employers do not know what to look for as can be seen from some of the job adverts placed in SHP. If I were looking at CV's for a post, as I have done on more than one occassion in the past, I would first and foremost be looking for someone who can prove to me that they can do the job. Secondly, I would look at qualifications and I suppose I have to admit that the most recognised is the NEBOSH Diploma. As you have Part 1 already, why not finish the course. Hope this is of some use to you. Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2000 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ali Taylor Thanks for the prompt response and the advice Paul.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2000 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn MSc MIOSH Sorry this is late, but I have only just joined the forum. I had the same uncertainty as to what to do, but decided on the PgD and MSc route, Why? 1) Cost- the PgD at Birmingham costs you less than £700 if you are self-funding (because of their Bursaries) 2) It keeps wider options open. 3) It is suitably stretching-it is pitched at a Postgraduate level. 4) Whilst Employers may think that a "NEBOSH Diploma" is required, you can rightfully claim that you have an equivalent qualification. 5)If you progress to the MSc this can be useful for suggesting what level of educational training you have attained- something that is harder to do with the NEBOSH. There are down sides- for instance flexibility and restricted start dates. I hope that all this is of help and not too late.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2000 13:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Bryan Ali There are merits to both ,however the Part 2 Diploma follows on logically from Part 1 and this may be your justification for choosing the NEBOSH route. For the record my organisation is looking for an HSE Manager and the academic requirements are either a degree or Part 2 /Previous Diploma.