Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2001 13:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Can any colleagues or indeed employers provide an estimate of a salary for an afiliate member of IOSH, holder of the general certificate with one years experience. Soon applying for TechSP membership, and starting the Dip part one course.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2001 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Andrew, I don't think the person in question will have much luck applying for Tech SP. I believe they'll need to get Part One and 2 years experience. Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2001 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis There are some fundamental misapprehensions here. The route to Tech SP is via dip part 1 or NEBOSH cert and conversion by folio of evedence. This, if Hazel H will correct me if wrong, can be done at branch level. The next logical step is dip part 2. On the salary this is a perpetual bugbear and depends on your company salary structuring and the gradings applied. I remember in local authority the level for this type of post/qual was the one below what was SO1 grade - any MAPPSS help here? Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2001 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks for your responses so far. I originally understood that Dip 1 and 2 years experience was required for Tech SP, until recently when a RSP (also Dip 1 instructor) informed me that you could apply for Tech SP when you started the Dip 1 course. Confusion abounds. Would welcome any comments on the second part of my question. Thanks again
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2001 18:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith The statement which I have pasted below, is published on this webb-site under membership information and membership grades. Personnel assisting more highly qualified OSH professionals, or dealing with routine matters in low risk sectors, may join IOSH at technician level. A Technician Safety Practitioner (TechSP) must have two years' relevant experience and must hold:. Level 3 of the VQs for Occupational Health and Safety Practice; or the NEBOSH Diploma part 1 or an accredited equivalent. I hope that this clears up any confusion. Arran
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 September 2001 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Andrew There are as I said two routes to Tech SP status Dip Part 1 or Nebosh cert + folio of evidence The two years may start when you commence safety work, which may or may not be before completion of one of the above routes. The instructor failed to understand these distinctions. Local Authority salary scales still may help Ring me on 01352 792846 and we will talk about actual figures. Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 September 2001 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson I understood the NEBOSH cert and folio of evidence route was only for people who were the old affiliate members, and that this route to TECH SP was to be closed down shortly. Comment from IOSH?
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 September 2001 10:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The route is time limited but is still available for existing cert holders. I did not I think make this clear. Also I did not mention the NVQ route. Bob
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Certificate + Portfolio evidence of at least 2 years experience is one of the criteria for TechSP grade of Membership which has replaced the Associate grade. As for your original question at appraisal you could use your workload, changes made, improvements etc, as a bargaining tool for increased pay. Keith.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2001 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks again to all respondents. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I am in no great hurry for tech SP status, I was just mis-informed. I will apply for the correct scale of membership when I complete (and PASS hopefully) Dip 1 or similar. I will be undetaking either Dip part 1 or The Nott and Trent OSH&E diploma in the new year. Wish me luck. Thanks again Andrew