Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#41 Posted : 15 March 2002 19:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Murray S Graham Peter, I have managed to get logged on to COOLIST, however I can't get any further. When I go to view archive it tells me Web page not responding. Am I doing somthing wrong? Cheers mate. Murray Graham
Admin  
#42 Posted : 18 March 2002 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands I would be happy to join your group. I left the RAF in 1993 and took up post as health and safety advisor within the School of Construction in a major regional further education college. Since then have worked as group health and safety advisor for a construction company and now work for Construction Industry Training Board. Present work involves providing a health and safety advice service to the construction industry, including making health and safety videos and CD-ROMs. Full member of IOSH with RSP status.
Admin  
#43 Posted : 04 April 2002 22:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ROBERT CROSSFIELD Dear Peter I have just come across your site by accident but it appears to be a great idea for all us ex service personnel. It looks as though you are doing a great job. I left the Navy 3 years ago after 24 years service and was a sumbariner for 19 years. I obtained the NEBOSH Certificate in 1997 and I am currently studying for the Nottingham and Trent Diploma in Safety Health and Environmental Management. I gave up my civilian job as a service engineer to study this course and hope to gain employment in the H&S sector. If there are any employment opportunities in the North East please contact me and I will send my CV. Many Thanks Bob Crossfield
Admin  
#44 Posted : 05 April 2002 09:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Evans I am soon to be out of the RAF and was recently offered a temporary position in an engineering firm in the Midlands. I learnt of the job from this forum via a thread posted on 14/2/02. I have just accepted a permanent position with Staffs County Council so cannot do the other. If anyone is in a similar position, ie looking for some experience to back up newly gained H&S qualifications give the company a call. I felt, when I visited and was interviewed, that there was a real opportunity to get valuable hands on experience with a company that takes H&S very seriously. I'm sorry I had to let them down but hopefully someone else could take up the post. Simon
Admin  
#45 Posted : 18 April 2002 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whitfield Peter, Just viewed your message. I am an ex WO1 (ASM) REME having retired from the Corps in Aug 98. I Started work as a H&S Officer with a large engineering company in Wrexham who make aircraft parts. During my time with them I was promoted to take on the 3 Northern Sites, and since then have been asked to become the group H&S Manager with responsibility for 5 manufacturing sites and 5 Technical offices across the country. I gave a bit of advice to one person on H&S jobs at our local IOSH Branch Meeting. He has since found employment with a local council, which is good news. Have you thought about dropping your details into the Regular Forces Employment Agency (RFEA)? as they must get quite a lot through their doors looking for our type of work. Anyway, enough of that. Feel free to pass on my details to anyone looking in the North Wales, South Wirral, Merseyside area. My home email address is david@whitfield8.freeserve.co.uk Regards Dave.
Admin  
#46 Posted : 07 May 2002 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By neil roy moore Hi I am imminently exiting the rn after 24 years in the catering trade.as part of my ressettlement have undertaken nebosh general certificate and facilities management with a view to breaking into the health and safety world.i would very much appreciate some guidence and pointers on a way ahead. neil
Admin  
#47 Posted : 20 May 2002 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By gordon mcleod Ex Royal Engineer 22yrs. Happy to help any serving or ex service personnel. Safety Manager of Baldwins Cranes at present.
Admin  
#48 Posted : 21 May 2002 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pat Burns Peter Please add me to your list. I spent twenty four years in the RN and left as a Chief Stoker. (Submariner) I have now worked for Serco Denholm Ltd at Greenock as the Health, Safety, Quality and Environment Officer for the last five and a bit years. We manage ships and marine services for the Ministry of Defence and have similar contracts in Portsmouth and Devonport. I am currently a Member of IOSH and IIRSM and an associate member of IQA.
Admin  
#49 Posted : 29 June 2002 19:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ray king Peter, As with all other replies, more than happy to join the forum. Ex 22 year WO2, formerly REME and now AGC currently holding NEBOSH General Certificate and BIFM part 1. About to commence NEBOSH Construction Certificate to gain Tech SP. Currently residing in Yorkshire, looking for work around Sept 02. Happy to chat and swap advice etc with all ex forces.
Admin  
#50 Posted : 13 August 2002 18:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Bywater Hi Peter, I spent 8 wonderful years in the RAF as an aircraft technician to the rank of corporal. I am now an engineer for Cadbury in York, where I also double up as a safety adviser. I have just completed my Nebosh General Certificate in June 2002, and would be delighted to join your merry band of ex-servicemen. Good luck to you all. Mark Bywater.
Admin  
#51 Posted : 03 September 2002 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By jAMES bAKER Hi Peter Since leaving the Army in 1990 I have been working for a large Security Company in various management roles.Within the last 3years I have been employed as Training and H&S Manager. Today I recieved the good news that I have passed my Dip part 1 and my MD as agreed to fund my Dip part 2 course. I would be delighted to join your forum. Regards Jim Baker
Admin  
#52 Posted : 05 September 2002 21:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colin Reed Peter, I am a former WO Royal Engineers been finished 4 years now, running a H&S consultancy in Cambridge. We also provide a wide range of H&S based training courses to various industries, though predominently Construction and Demolition. I employ 4 other ex Sappers all in the Safety and Training role. Business is booming, and I will be more than happy to talk to anyone leaving the service and looking for a lead or a post. Regards and good luck to all of your members and I hope the group is a success. Have you considered a group meeting? IOSH Expo for instance.?
Admin  
#53 Posted : 06 September 2002 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Sullivan Peter, You certainly have an excellent idea here. I left the RN in 1991 as a Charge Chief Marine Engineering Artificer, I've often wondered what happened to some of my old colleagues and if any of them entered the health and safety field. I obtained my NEBOSH Diploma in 1993 and am a Registered Safety Practitioner. I recently had to obtain a NVQ Level 4 in Health and Safety Regualtion as I work as a Health and Safety Inspector in a Local Authority. If there are any "ex oppo's" who are in the safety business please contact me. Best Regards Rob
Admin  
#54 Posted : 20 October 2002 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steuart J Whitfield A great idea Peter. I left the RN last year as a CPOWEA. My last 2 years in the mob were as a lone HSE advisor at an air station.I hold NEBOSH Gen Cert, LEEA Lifting Equipment Examiner and Radiation Protection Supervisor qualifications, as well as service gained adquals. Finding myself in the civilian workplace was indeed an eyeopener and H&S seemed, and still does, as a "closed door, keep it in the family" career. Never the less I cracked on and now find myself as an HSE advisor in a drilling company in Aberdeen. I have only met 1 other ex RN and 1 ex Army safety professionals but there must be more! They both agree that as ex services we have lots to offer but the "long in the tooth" safety professionals are in well established networks. This forum is a step in the right direction.
Admin  
#55 Posted : 22 October 2002 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lawrence baldwin As Stueart reiterated in the previous response, "it aint easy". I left the RN in 1993 as a CPOAEA with the last 6 years of service as a Naval Aircraft QAI inspector. They alsdo waved a magic wand in 1990 and said "by the way you are responsible for Health and Safety when you take a team away. The service offerred the NEBOSH certificate as resettlement which I took and passed. Having chosen that career path, even then it was not easy and for 6 months I took a labouring job. To get into H&S I decided to a massive (then) pay cut and start my "apprenticeship" formaly by successfuly applying to a vacancy within Aberdeen Council as a Local Enforcement Officer working with EHO's. This grounding was priceless, I then moved on as a Safety Officer within Aberdeen College gaining experience and competencies, a move to a SubSea organisation as QA, HSE Dep Manager brought back together my quality skills, and finally a request from Bristow Helicopters to set up and drive HSE within the Scottish operations under the HSE Manager brought me back to trade. I am now the Group HSE Manager, taking over from the previous encumbent on his retirement and here I am. The military gave me the man management skills and confidence to deal with people and take on a second career, but it wasn't easy in the beginning and I think, maybe incorrectly as there may be those who vehemently dissagree, that it is your track record in this game that speaks volumes and not necessarily qualifications. My advice is to keep at it, learn your trade and you will succeed.
Admin  
#56 Posted : 24 October 2002 15:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber Hello Peter, I am an ex Naval Officer and I have been working in Health, Safety and Environmental Management for the past 12 years. I currently work as Senior Consultant for a US company and currently working full time as the European, Middle East and Africa EHS manager for a multinational company. I am not actively looking for alternative employment but I am always open to interesting opportunities. Please add me to your list. I may be looking for someone to employ in the very near future and I occassionally become aware of sort term contracts in the UK. What information do you need from me? regards Paul
Admin  
#57 Posted : 25 October 2002 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Drinkwater Hi I'd be happy to join the forum. Ex Royal Engineers WO - left in 1998 after 24 yrs service. I'm now a facilities manager at a large grammar school in Kent. Co-ordination of Health & Safety matters forms part of my job description. I hold the NEBOSH Certificate but would be interested to go further - diploma etc. Glad to be on board. Roy.
Admin  
#58 Posted : 27 October 2002 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Murray S Graham I returned to the UK from Germany to complete my last 6 months of service in June this year. Since coming back I have hammered to Job market relentlessly in the hope of some sort of employment. To date, I have not had a sniff of anything, not even an interview. I now have only 2 months to go and I am getting a bit concerned. Anyone out there got any ideas or helpful advice? I'm all ears. I'm living in Rosyth, Scotland. If you know of anything coming up in this area or anywhere in Scotland, please give me a heads up. Many Thanks. murraysg@btopenworld.com