Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Pierce As readers of my past threads will know, I am a 48 yr old graduate, a qualified Manual Handling Trainer, and have recently taken NEBOSH Construction Certificate (awaiting results) but still cannot get the employment to get the experience. They say that ageism does not exist, but I living proof that it does! Can any members advise on how I get the employment I desperately seek or any comments on the ageism aspects of this. I have tried all the agencies, with no response, and people have sent me e-mails about jobs, but when they realise my age, and lack of experience they are not interested. Please restore my faith in mankind, by practical help and suggestions. Trevor Pierce.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2003 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby Trevor Have sent you an e-mail direct John C
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2003 20:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Trevor There is a risk I'm going to appear to be very negative here and most likely get some flak, but if you want an honest answer here goes. First you don't say what experience you have - is any of it in H&S? if not then why would an employer take you on at whatever age. Second - is being a graduate an advantage in getting a job at the age of 48. I would imagine any job offer, if you lack experience, would be at a low level and a degree, if they think about it at all, might be a disadvantage from an employer point of view. Thirdly, a 4 or 5 day course to be a trained manual handling trainer is just that - a 4 or 5 day course. And last, you have taken a construction course but you haven't yet got the result! I can see a potential employers point of view and to my mind age doesn't come into it. On a positive note, and if you are able to, I would suggest you tout around for some part time consultancy work with a friendly local H&S consultancy to gain the experience you need to compete for H&S posts. In my experience age is a positive factor in H&S jobs - but it must be accompanied by experience, the right attitude and a willingness to learn new tricks. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2003 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Jones I am a forty one year old. I gained my nebosh certificate last year and I am now well under way with my NTU H&S Diploma from geoffs comments it would appear I am wasting my time? or have I misunderstood I would also be happy for any advise or comments
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2003 00:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I have to say that I agree with Geoff's assertions. A prospective employer would be interested in experience (ok, we all have to start somewhere) and qualifications. If you are a bit 'thin' in both departments then a decent job will be difficult to find. I am not trying to be clever because I too am in a similar position, or was, but decided to take a MSc degree in h&s. If you are serious about a career in safety, I would recommend looking at gaining a meaningful qualification. You can't get a degree in experience but you can in health and safety. Good luck. Ray
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2003 08:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ian No, it wasn't the intention to flatly say that no experience means no job. Raymond mentioned further qualifications and that is the key. You need to be able to offer an employer something and it is obvious, I hope, that the more qualified and experienced you are the better your chances. Conversely, if you have no experience and only low level qualifications then your prospects must be low. It is nothing to do with age. Good luck Geoff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Jones I was under the impression that the NTU diploma Equivalent to the nebosh diploma while not a degree was a good starting point i am looking for an assistant level of position to get started with
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2003 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Ian, Presumably the NTU Diploma is the same as the TUC Certificate course, which gave me entry into IOSH as TechSP. Yes, I believe it is a good qualification, but it is only a the beginning in terms of meaningful qualifications. I think you need to examine where you want to get to, if it is a support role in h&S then that is fine. However, if you aspirations are set higher, then finding a employer who will provide the necessary sponsorship for further qualifications is the goal or like me pay for it yourself. As I said (but did not elaborate on) I am 44 years old, never worked full time in h&S and most of my experience has come via a TU h&s rep position. I could be working full time now if I so choose, but I have a well paid job and have decided to wait until I have gained my Pgd or even the full MSc. Whilst I sympathise with your predicament and the original threader (Trevor), sympathy will not get you a good job. The moral of the story is get a good qualification in h&s and experience will surely follow. Kind regards Ray
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2003 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Pierce To the respondee's to TREVOR'S thread please see Age Concerned 2 Trevor
Admin  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2003 17:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Riley Ray, Just to set the record straight, the NTU Diploma is equivalent to NEBOSH Diploma & together with 3 years relevant experience satisfies the entry requirements for IOSH at corporate membership level. Regards, Jane
Admin  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2003 19:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Trevor. I would like to take a more positive view with your age. at 48 I would say you have a wealth of experience, it mearly needs to be applied with the highly developed and obvious talent you possess. I am 45 going on 46 and although I have not been in health and safety all my life, I have sure had to practice it for most of my working life. All I have done is temper that working experience with knowledge, which it apears you have done also. Don't despare, try to develop this method of thinking into your applications and I am sure you achieve a result.... Good luck and keep at it...
Admin  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2003 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ian mcnally Hi Trevor, I recently posted an advert on this web site for a Safety Advisor in Construction and look forward to receiving your cv. The organisation I work for has no problem with 48 year olds!