Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2003 21:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey DIP2,OSH MIOSH I posted a thread on this forum around 3 years ago with the same heading and it stayed active for around 18 months until IOSH asked if it could be archived, it had attracted a huge reply rate and interest. I thought it time to come back again. I left the RAF 2 years ago and started a small contact list of ex service personnel working in health and safety. The idea was, as still is, that through this link we could offer advice and help to service leavers looking to break into the H&S world. This list has attracted a great deal of interest and had success on several occasions. If you are an ex servicemen or looking to leave the services and would like or could offer any help and assistance, please do contact me. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2003 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By lawrence baldwin Peter I can't remember whether I contacted yourself on this subject before, my apologies if I have, I left the RN 9.5 years ago after 22 years, and worked my way through various organisations upwards to my current position as Group HSE Manager for Bristow Helicopters at Aberdeen. I passed the NVQ4 route and now a corporate member of iosh. There is another ex service guy who contacted me, I think through this forum, who is working his way through this minefield working for an oil related company on the same industrial estate. So there are many of us around. If I can help please feel free to give me a shout. Lawrence Lawrence Baldwin MIOSH GHSE Manager Bristow Helicopters Ltd Forties Road Aberdeen AB21 7AA lawrence.baldwin@bristow.co.uk 01224 756265
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2003 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Ex CPO RN/RM EHO NEBOSH Dip, MIOSH, RSP NEBOSH Spec Dip Env Man. add me on to the list matey and anything I can do then let me know.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2003 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Freeman Add me to list, Ex-RAF currently Health and Safety Manager in a Finance House in London. Rgds, Ian
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2003 16:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Ferneyhough Peter, I registered on this thread previously and have now moved jobs. I am ex RN having left in 1994 as a CPO. I have worked in Cilled Food Manufacture, Light Engineering and Retail & Mail Order Warehousing, and am currently the Group H & S Manager for the largest idependent Builders Merchant in the South West. We have 26 retail sites, 2 timber mills & 2 vehicle repair sites. Our Head Office is based in Yeovil Somerset. Regards Geoff Ferneyhough
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2003 07:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minter Peter, I left the army in 1990 am now looking to get into H&S as a career,I passed my NEBOSH general certificate in June 2002. I am at present employed by J Sainsbury in a distribution centre, and have spent the last year working alongside the site safety advisor.Due to the depot being closed down I am due to be made redundant sometime between now and mid- November. Any help or advice you can give would be gratefully received either through this site or my e-mail address is ian.minter@fsmail.net Thanks. Ian
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 May 2003 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By thomas mark evans hi peter Add me to your list please, i sat the certificate this year and am also taking DIP 1 in june. 81 working days left in RN then i look for a real job!!!!! regards mark
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2003 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Byers Peter, I left the REME in '97 and am just finishing a MSc in Safety Management having done various diplomas and the NVQ4. I am happy to assist anyone, I live in Poole, Dorset Regards, Andy Byers.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2003 09:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicholas Moody Hello Peter, I left the army in 1979 and have been in the offshore diving industry since then. I am now taking an MSc in safety management etc with Portsmouth University with the aim of working in this field in due course. If I can help just let me know. Regards Nick
Admin  
#10 Posted : 11 May 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Douglas Hi Peter Ex SNCO Royal Engineers,I have both NEBOSH General and Construction Certs. At present working in the Explosives Ordnance Disposal field, would be interested in any H&S opportunities that people may know of in Kent and South East Regards Dougie
Admin  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2003 14:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Garry Campbell Peter, I left the RN in 1990 and have been employed in health and safety field since 1991. Hold NEBOSH Certificate, Diploma in Health and Safety Management, Food Safety Certificate. Member of IOSH and RSP, also Member of IIRSM. Currently employed as Group Health and Safety Adviser for a Construction Sub-Contractor. Would gladly help any ex-service personnel, if possible.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2003 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gerry Walmsley Peter, Please accept my response and add me to your list of people wishing to help ex-servicemen in our field. I am an ex CRS(W)from the RN leaving in 1991. On leaving the RN I started in training at Ford Motor Company Dagenham where I qualified professionally for CIPD gaining an MSc in HRD. I then switched to H&S in 1999 having completed a NEBOSH Certificate, DIP 1 and recently NVQ4. I work in the automotive manufacturing industry where I am an Environment, Health & Safety Advisor at a plant with 500 employees. I am also on the East Anglian Engineers Employers Federation H&S Consultative Committee with many other professionals in our trade. Some of which are ex servicemen. We meet quarterly. So if I can't help I'm sure that I know someone who can. Kindest regards - Gerry Walmsley
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 May 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Hogarth Ex RAF 1973 - 1996. NEBOSH 1, TechSP, Group Training Certificate, Diploma in Food Hygiene Management Currently working as a safety advisor in the food manufacturing industry but always on the lookout for career progression (East Anglia) Please add me to your list of contacts. regards, Malcolm
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 May 2003 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By bill Strachan Peter, I am an ex-sapper and left services in 2000. I am currently SHE Manager for Amec Group Limited (Infrastructure) (AGL(I)) Southern Operations based in Langley Berkshire. Only too pleased to offer any assistance to ex-servicemen/women seeking employment in the Construction/civil engineering side of H&S regards Bill strachan MIOSH MIIRSM
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 May 2003 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Russell Hyam Peter, I, like Bill Strachan, am also an ex-sapper who left the forces in 98. I am currently the Buildings Team Health & Safety Manager for T5 Heathrow. More than willing to offer assistance to ex-service personnel wishing to pursue a career in construction health & safety, Regards Russell
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 May 2003 18:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen J W Clegg. Peter, please add me to your list. I left the RAF in 1988 Air/Mech/W (Aircraft Weapons) I worked in engineering for two years (finished off my apprenticeship) and then decided that local government was for me.. trained to be a Residential Social Worker then re-trained (10 years on...) to work in safety! I hold the NEBOSH General Certificate and I sit my Diploma 1 in less than four weeks. Like everyone else... if I can help anybody, please ask!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 May 2003 20:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Tait Hi I would very much like to be added to this very welcome group. I have just left the Army as a WO1(ASM)and started to look for work within the H&S world. I decided to settle in mid Wales and finding work was not easy. Although I have just been appointed the Group safety manager for a chain of ford dealerships across Wales I would still like to hear or indeed help in any employment opportunities. I will use the forum for anything I hear about. Good luck to all of us. Gary Tait