Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 July 2003 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kenneth Nicol
My name is Ken Nicol; I am 40 years old and am returning to reside in the UK later this year after working in Southern Africa for the past 18 years.

My work experience in Africa has been in the mining industry, focussed on health and safety related issues, risk assessment, emergengency preparedness, group auditing and safety training in mining operations, maintenance of plant and equipment and metallurgical processes, in both establised mining operations and green field sites.

I have worked for a number of international companies in this time and have had varied training and experience, the last 4 years of which are in an upper manangement position.

I am currently applying for NVQ 3 Health and Safety accreditation and then intend to register for the NEBOSH Diploma part 2.
I would be grateful for any advice, links to learning centres or employment agencies or other general information which would assist me in this transition.

I would also appreciate hearing from any person who has gone through a similar experience.

Thanks,

Ken
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 July 2003 13:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce
Ken,

I wish you all the very best of luck.

My story is somewhat similar but without the African sunshine for 18years!

I worked as a Process Development Engineer within the chemical industry in the UK for 22 years. Lots of safety experience doing risk assessments, preparing safe systems, safety inspection etc. Luckily my employer payed for me to do the NEBOSH Certificate which I passed in 1996. Unluckily, I was made redundant in 1999 and wondered what to do with my life, I was 39 at the time.

I thought I'd exploit my safety experience and try for a job as a "safety Professional". It became apparent quite quickly, that to have credibility in my applications I'd need the Diploma Part 1 at least, so enrolled on a course and got a couple of c**p jobs to pay the mortgage while I studied.

Nearing the end of the course, I started applying for jobs advertised in SHP. I applied for loads, receiving the magazine monthly as I'd enrolled as an Affiliate member.

I was lucky enough to secure a position in 2000 with the Prison Service as an "entry level" professional and then really started to learn the job. I think this was the third advert I'd applied to but timing meant that I'd been rejected several times already before I got the break! I've now moved on to a Senior position with a local council and have never looked back.

My advice is get the NVQ. Enrol on the Diploma Part 2 or go via the NVQ route to level 4, that's what I did; and prepare thoroughly before your interviews. Use examples from your experience and relate them to your perception of the job for which your applying.

Don't give up and always be prepared to learn from any experience, even if it is negative.

Regards,
Ian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2003 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gavin Gibson
Look at the requirements that adverts stipiulate in the back of the practioner and speak to some of the agencies listed. Diploma 1 and 2 are the criteria to get, depending upon your aspirations. Talk to IOSH about membership level, based on your involvement with safety in the mining industry in SA.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 July 2003 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Mackessack
Hi Ken,

Good advice from the other respondents. Regarding job agencies, try following this web address:

http://www.safetynews.co.uk/employment.htm

Pretty well all the EHS 'big boys' are listed here. Happy hunting and good luck!

John