Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2003 19:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mr Christopher ONeil
Can anyone tell me how to go about getting Personal Track Safety training. I have been told that you must be either working for a rail employer or be sponsered by a rail related company. Can you pay for the training yourself? and if so who does the training?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2003 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Gordon
I would be very interested to see replies to this thread as last year I tried to gain this certificate and failed to find a course anywhere, you either have to work in the industry already or get sponsorship from a railway related company.

The latter is similar to getting blood out of a stone, I tried with a company in York and they did not even reply to the e-mail.

If there are any companies in a position to offer this course to someone who is not related to the Railway Industry then I would be very interested to hear from them.

Good Luck Chris

Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By paul georgeson
Hi,I know of one such company called MTS training in doncaster (opposite the train station) they accept private individuals with no Rail jobs. I know this because my brother went for his PTS, I think it cost him around £130, once he got this card he sure enough gained employment and a great wage.
Just one thing though. Are you really sure you know what you are letting yourself in for coming into the Rail industry on the safety side of things? belive me it is a real eyeopener!
Anyway good luck.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2003 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Gordon
Just as I thought, you have to be sponsored by an empoyeer who is going to employ you.

Chicken and egg situation- no job- no pts-no pts-no job.

This sort of situation is getting very regualar within Health and Safety too.

Not bitter(much).