Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2003 18:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Robinson The problem i am having is that i have set my sights on a career in the rail industry, although breaking into the industry is alot harder than i had first anticipated. I am currently studyibg for the NTU Diploma in Health Safety and Environmental Management at Wirral Metroplitan College, and sit my last exam in January 2004. From what i have seen on rail recruitment agency web sites, the requirements seem to be focusing mainly on being an engineer. I already have the NEBOSH Certificate and as i have already mentioned i'm doing the NTU diploma. The problem is i am 29 years old with years of safety experience in manufacturing, but non in the rail industry. If i was to do an engineering degree then that would take me to the age of 33-34 with still no experience. I would be very grateful if anybody could advise me as to what qualification i need to take to gain a safety job within the rail industry, or who can offer me any position even a low paid trainee position so that i can get a foot into the industry. My C.V. is available upon request, any advice on this subject is much appreciated. Thank you.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2003 22:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Paul, Just a few thoughts you might be interested in. First, I am not sure why you want to go into railway h&s. Anyway, it is not easy breaking into rail safety as I have found out! And I have worked in the industry for 20 years and I am just completing a MSc in H&S Management at 45 years old. So, you have plenty of time. A knowledge of railways (operating/maintenance) is essential due to the safety critical nature of the work. After all, I would not apply for a post in the construction industry without at least some knowledge of construction. If you are serious about rail safety you may consider getting a job on the railways, preferably in infrastructure and maintenance. Other than that the competition is probably too tough to realistically contemplate a job. Good luck. Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2003 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Robinson Ray Thank you for replying to my thread. I posted this thread in the hope that somebody would reply to it and provide me with information regarding rail courses (so i can gain a knowledge of the industry), and may be a placement or job as a trainee (so i can gain hands on experience). Therefore i wasn't looking to enter a rail job as a Chief Executive, but just as an assistant or trainee, because everyone has to start some where, and you need a job in order to gain experience. The reason why i want to join the rail industry is simple, i feel that it would be a challenging environment in which to work in and progress my health and safety knowledge and career. P.S. I have had people email me with information regarding both courses and vacancies, and some mentioned that they were SQE Managers in the rail industry, and did not have any engineering qualifications. Regards Paul.