Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2003 11:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark1 Im 23 years old, i have a NEBOSH nat cert, and currently studying for an NVQ4 in occupational health & Safety practice. Im also an associate member of the IIRSM. I have around 18 months H & S safety experience which im aware isnt a great amount.Try as i might though i just cannot find a H & S job. What am i doing wrong? Is it my age? Lack of experience? Any help would be great.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Get in touch with Principle People - they may be able to help. http://www.principal-people.co.uk Apply for an many jobs online as you can, ring the agency EVERY day - even if they say they will call you back, ring them anyway - they'll get so fed up, they will put you at the top of there list... ;) Another good one... http://www.sypol.co.uk/
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2003 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark1 Thanks for that. I have tried all the recruitment people like: Principal people Sypol Allen & York Review recruitment Still with no luck. Maybe its just a case of waiting.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2003 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Mark You will improve your chances significantly with a live email address to which people can respond eg from this forum. Good luck, Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2003 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By marilyn blain Dear Mark I'M IN THE SAME SITUATION, NOT ALOT OF EXPERIENCE, BUT AN E-MAIL ADDRESS WILL HELP AS I HAVE HAD 3 E- MAILS FROM H/S EMPLOYERS WHO WOULD CONSIDER TAKING ON A TRAINEE H/S EMPLOYEE. HAVE YOU SEEN THE THREAD FROM lINDA CROSSLAND CLARKE? FROM A COMPANY BASED IN HULL WHO ARE RECRUITING,SHE CONTACTED ME AND I'VE SENT MY CV. GOOD LUCK MARILYN
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 December 2003 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Pigg Mark, what is your surname? I shall check that we have received your details Please email me - richardp@review.co.uk KR Richard Pigg Senior Consultant Review H&S
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 December 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stewart Dean I am also 23 and have just over 5 years experience in H&S since going straight into a trainee job from college. I have NVQ3 and NEBOSH Const Cert. I have worked in a number of different jobs including engineering, office and consultancy and now work in local authority. I have been made redundant twice and found it difficult to obtain a job. However by sending my cv to a load of recruitment agencies I ended up getting a job. On the dowside though due to my age and lack of experience I settled for a lower wage than what I thought I should be getting. I persevered for about a year, got a wage increase, put through courses and eventually got a job around 6 months ago working for a LA doing H&S for contractors. I am now paid twice the amount I was this time last year. My point is, don't give up there is a job out there for you, just keep looking. It may be that you have to take a job lower down the rung to progress.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2003 18:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Raymond Mark, Drop me a line at draymond@keypeople.co.uk I have a client looking for exactly your level. Regards Dave
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 December 2003 09:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott And of course posting here... Mark, as you've just found out ;) GOOD LUCK MATE! Chris
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2003 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Donna Fisken Mark, I know exactly how you feel - I have just sat my NEBOSH Part 1 and have 3 year's extremely broad experience. Checking the recruitment websites on a daily basis is definitely one of the best ways to go - however it is that funny time of year when companies start winding down - I have had experience of recruiting and being recruited......never again will I sit for weeks on piles of CV's......! Don't give up and things will pick up again at the start of the year but the agency people can probably give you a better idea of that Donna
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 December 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason Great to see this forum working so well - lots of help posted - best of luck Mark. Also good to hear a success story, well done Stewart - you are living proof that perseverance pays off!
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2003 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Mark, be4 I say something which may upset a few, I do hope that you are successful but rather than give you the best of luck speel this is the reality mate. Now the 'but' as AIIRSM and NEBOSH Cert holder this is the very first rung on the H&S learning curve and to a prospective employer they are not 'good' qualifications or memberships to have as they generally want someone who has Higher qualifications and more experience for H&S positions with industry. Don't really want to get into the debate of qualifications / experience and memberships 'again' suffice to say read the SHP and you will get a flavour of what prospective employers are looking for with regards to employment as a H&S 'Professional'. AIIRSM can be gained by just about anyone who subscribes and the NEBOSH Cert is desigend for supervisors who need some level of H&S knowledge to undertake their primary job function, however you need to start somewhere. Stick in, Do NVQ 4 get MIOSH and then RSP - personally I would bin AIIRSM as its not worth the paper its written on!
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 December 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Other than the free advice you get as a member, from the British Safety Council! - I just saved my company a lot of money that way... :D
Admin  
#14 Posted : 11 December 2003 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By AlanB Brave and contraversial words there Dave!! I'm sort of in a similar situation, but I hav e decided to bite the bullet, take the risk and fly out to Oz in February to do a Masters in OCcupational Health, Safety and Environmental Management. Will cost me a small fortune, but I want to get to senior management level within the next 10 years and this is the way forward for me. What I'm trying to say is that perserverance pays, and risks will have to be taken if you want to reap the rewards. Or at least I hope so, or I'll be skint for no reason :o Alan Bate
Admin  
#15 Posted : 11 December 2003 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Mark you've had a lot of helpful advice here - same advice I was given when I started, we all start somewhere - don't be put off - and don't feel that you've wasted anything. Essentially Dave is absolutely correct about the first steps in safety and he is right about underpinning knowledge and institute status - but don't bin your AIIRSM mate, it's the first step that defines where you are going - it's a REAL achievement and don't let anyone tell you otherwise mate! :) WELL DONE! And good luck - there are so many ways you can go forward, and so many people around here that are helpful and very sincere. Get yourself a proper e-mail address though ;) Chris
Admin  
#16 Posted : 11 December 2003 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark1 Thanks to every one for the advise! I do have an email address which i have activated now, it can be found by clicking on my name. I also have another which is riddor12000@yahoo.co.uk Once again thanks very much, and merry christmas.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul King Mark As a leading health and safety consultancy we have a graduate level entry programme which enables health and safety professionals with qualifications an opportunity to gain relevant experience. For an informal discussion please feel free to contact me on 020 7422 4111, or email paulking@arkhealth-safety.bdx.co.uk
Admin  
#18 Posted : 18 December 2003 14:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Johnston Mark, I too am in a very similar situation........NEBOSH nat cert only for me though. I have absolutely no h & s experience whatsoever. Other than the many risk assessments I logged at my previous workplace for the gas leak which never ever got fixed. I injured myself 3 years ago and haven't worked for most of that time. I put myself through college for the NEBOSH which took all my money (and more). My lack of experience and qualifications is a pain in the neck to be frank. Although, I am a very determined individual, I think we have to be in order to make certain companies change their attitudes towards h & s. If I had £3600 I would go for the Diploma part 1, but I will never have that amount of money until I start work again. It's a catch 22 situation. My point is, I'm 31 years old now and I'll be damned if I am going to give up. I will get a job, I will get good money eventually and I will have me that big house! DONT EVER GIVE UP!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 18 December 2003 16:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott Here here! I hope you get there, John! All the best to you Chris
Admin  
#20 Posted : 19 December 2003 17:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Dave - I sort of agree with you, but you shouldn't be too harsh on the IIRSM. A lot of employers cannot afford a dedicated H&S professional - and if the truth be known, they don't need one. You work in a large multi-faceted company and you seem to forget what it is like for the majority of people. The benefit of the certificate or similar is that an individual can bring some expertise into a company , perhaps allied with other skills. In this day and age it is the multiskilled person who will thrive - its always been a matter of having more than one string to your bow. To those who have shown tenacity - keep going, my belief is that if you want something badly enough - you'll get it. Whatever, have a good festive season.
Admin  
#21 Posted : 22 December 2003 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Sherlock Hi Mark Only just read your original message. I have no idea what part of the country you are based in, but I am currently looking to expand my team of Health and Safety Consultants/Trainers. We are based on the sunny south coast in Portsmouth but travel the whole country. If you think that you might be interested, either give me a call on 023 9253 8700 or send your cv to Asherlock@peta.co.uk, so that I can have a quick browse. Either way have a Merry Christmas and I hope the New Year goes well for you.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 23 December 2003 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Geoff, I take your point and it is a very valid point, that said (controversial again!) is the NEBOSH cert the choice for H&S profesionals and I will reiterate, this course is desigend for people to highlight H&S so that thay can be better at their primary job, read the course content and intended outcomes. We are once again into the Qualification V Experience debate and also IOSH V BSC V NEBOSH V IIRSM V NVQ V NTU V MSc etc I do realise that a lot of people get into H&S by being put on this course and get really interested and wish to take it further as a career, but really, is a new NEBOSH cert holder a 'competent person' to advise employers on safety issues? Suppose it depends on the level of risk within the particular industry and wheteher or not they have a mentor to call on. Anyway its crimbo good luck for next year to everbody!