Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 July 2004 10:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi All I have just had an out of the blue call from the owners of our local shopping centre. They are looking for a NEBOSH cetificated safety officer, with construction leanings, not really a manufacturing guy like me :-( though I might have a stab at it anyway, the usual duties, risk assessments, method statements, control of contractors, keeping up the owners end of CDM etc etc The location will be Middleton Grange shopping centre in Hartlepool in Cleveland. It has its own site here http://www.middleton-grange.co.uk I know this is NE England, and some of you Southern chaps are thinking flat caps and whippets all around and those old 1940's black and white films of depression and recession, but honestly it is not like that! I moved down here from central Scotland a few years ago, and it is a nice place to be, much more so than I expected before I arrived here. Houses are cheap, there are good schools around, and plenty of things to do in the area, a train station, just off the A19 and nearby Teesside airport means its easy to "get back to civilisation" if that's your worry. Have a gander at the above site and make sure you visit some of the others on the links page too before dismissing it out of hand. I have no idea what the wages are, but they will reflect housing prices in the area so may be lower than you think you need to survive on. Talking of houses look at this http://www.whitegates.co.uk Anyway, the guy you want is Seven Shoebridge of MacLellan International, the centre's owners. Drop him the usual CV and letter to s.shoebridge@maclellan-int.com Good luck Alec Wood Samsung Electronics PS I have no connection with the above company, though I may apply for this job myself, I am just posting to help my fellow jobseekers widen their nets as far as possible.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2004 11:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Hi All Profuse apologies, but I made an error in the email address I supplied above. It should read sshoebridge@maclellan-int.com By the way, this seems to be an urgent vacancy, so don't spend too long thinking about it Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2004 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Thanks for the tip and I have mailed the vacancy direct. Just like to make a point. Well ! I know that some people think that we northern people eat our kids, but it is just an old wives tale. It never ceases to amaze me when vacancies are advertised for the north east and you cheeck it out, it is obvious that people don't know where the north east actually is. Well you have to come a long way past from Manchester, Blackpool or Lancashire folks! I often hear people say that there are just no vacancies in Scotland, is it suprising when you have difficulty understanding where Newcastle is! you to pass newcastle (on the map) to get there. Sorry if I have hi-jacked the thread but its not bad living in Newcastle or the north east in general. House prices hear have risen faster and bigger than the 'Big Smoke' but you can still afford a house hear. The same property you own hear would cost you 5 times as much in the south and it would still be a 3 bed semi. £24K in the north is pidgeon dung in the south but hear you can live most comfortably raising a family and still afford a season ticket. In London some firms are offering season tickets as an inducement to taking a poor salary. I could go on forever with the benefits of the north east but having made my point I will sign off. Many thanks Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2004 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Yep, I have to agree, the North East is a wonderful place to live and work. If we keep quiet about how to get here, we can keep it that way! I have to say that, even if I was offered a season ticket, I would not move to London to work. It is simply too far to travel to St James' Park every other Saturday!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2004 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James B Paul, There's a very nice St James Park in London where you might find a superior level of footy being played.... jumpers for goal posts and all that... Mind you, that's pretty rich coming from a Hammers fan. Now there's hijacking for you. Good luck to anyone who applies to the post (there, redemed myself)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2004 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Well said Paul...... and don't lets forget the pork pie and a pint after the whippet racing!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 July 2004 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams No, I don't think they do season tickets for the dogs, and you have to go south to Yorkshire for a proper pork pie! However, to avoid being accused of highjacking. I still say it's a great part of the country to live and work. We don't see too many decent jobs advertised in our line of work here abouts, they all seem to be in the deep south or north west. So keep them coming, it's nice to have choices.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 03 August 2004 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Did anyone follow this up. I have an interview there tomorrow afternoon. This is their company website - sorry for omitting it earlier http://www.maclellan-group.plc.uk Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 August 2004 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter John Campbell Quill Dear Alec Good luck from Edinburgh! You might try a few interview questions to keep you busy. This site seems designed for you! http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq1.htm Best regards Peter
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 August 2004 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By A JOHN HARBORNE Your Last Point alex - yeah, quite right !1!!!
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 August 2004 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jez Corfield I sent a CV, no response or interview though, good luck!!! Jez
Admin  
#12 Posted : 03 August 2004 19:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Seems I pulled an interview also tomorrow. Good luck to us all! Thanks Alec, nice reliable information. Mike
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 August 2004 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jez Corfield Hi Mike/Alex, Are you going to let us know how the interview went.....? Cheers Jez
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 August 2004 22:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Thanks for all the good luck messages sent here and by email. Had the interview today, it went quite well I felt - although it is usually difficult to tell a good interview, we all know when we'va had a bad one though, eh? Anyway, they'll be in touch for a second inteview shortly apparently. Alec Wood Mike, how did you go, and what did you think of sunny Hartlepool?
Admin  
#15 Posted : 05 August 2004 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Second interview tomorrow at 2PM Wish me luck..... Alec
Admin  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2004 12:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Good Luck. Don't mention the monkey!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2004 18:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller That’s why I can’t tell you what I thought about Hartlepool. I just can’t without corpsing with laughter. I was hoping that no one would even mention it. The Monkey that is! I am up before the beak at 12-30 for my second hearing. I never understood the principle of second interviews and every time I ever had one I never got the job. Thanks for all the best wishes. One of us will be smiling tomorrow I have no doubt MIke
Admin  
#18 Posted : 06 August 2004 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Breeze You shouldn't knock the locals, how were they to know the monkey wasn't a French secret agent. I mean, countries have been invaded & dictators deposed for less! PS - How did the 2nd interview go?
Admin  
#19 Posted : 06 August 2004 18:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller I suppose it’s a fair point! My second interview went OK but I don’t think that I will be the chosen one. Judging by the level of questioning it was experience that they were looking for and I am a graduate. But they must have known that eh! I shall reserve judgement until the final bell and report back later. How did you do Alec! Mike
Admin  
#20 Posted : 08 August 2004 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Well I went to it, survived it, but it's anyone's guess how it went. Personally I can only understand the logic of second interviews when it something different, not just one new face at the table. They mentioned a possible THIRD interview in London, but did not elaborate. My feelings were that I'm not as academically qualified as they would like, I think they would prefer someone who was MIOSH rather than someone on their way there. I've always been rubbish at gauging my performance in interviews, I never know when I have had a good one - though I can easily recognise a bad one. Maybe neither I nor Mike are quite their ideal guy for this post, I did manage to glean that seems to be between the two of us, so the question is will they go for one or the other, or will they recruit again in the hope of getting their ideal. Nothing heard yet, and I have another second interview on Wednesday, so I'll focus on that for now. Alec Wood Samsung Electronics
Admin  
#21 Posted : 09 August 2004 18:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Alec I have to agree, I had the same interview all over again only this time there was a new face. Answering the same questions as previously. However like you I shall wait and see. Good luck with the next one! looks like second interviews are becoming a habit with you. You must be determined to move on. dont forget give me a ring and we can exchange notes. best Wishes mike
Admin  
#22 Posted : 17 August 2004 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Any news yet?
Admin  
#23 Posted : 19 August 2004 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood Well, we had our second interviews which went as expected. Since then I've heard nothing, Mike? Alec Wood Samsung Electronics (until tomorrow)
Admin  
#24 Posted : 26 August 2004 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alec Wood I've had an email from Mike, he starts on the 19th September. I am sure all forum members would join me in congratulating him and wishing him all the best in his new position.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 27 August 2004 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By James Goodstadt Yep, Well done Mike (unlucky Alec - hope the other interview went well)
Admin  
#26 Posted : 27 August 2004 16:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Miller Cheers folks! I must admit it is a nice feeling and has laid to rest some ghosts for me. I will keep you posted with the first days progress. Mike