Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2008 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sterling hi all i'm lookin for some ideas to start a small safety business...but i'd like to get some help with what names i can call it.... can u all thrown some ideas at me ?...anything will be appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2008 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Smith RSP Sterling Safety Services?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2008 16:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ITK B-Safe Safe n Sound Safe T First Safe Hands Sterling Safety Services
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2008 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By P I Kinvig On a more mundane level, check the web - difficult to run a business nowadays if your company name is taken by someone elses website. Then consider what are people likely to type in when they're looking for help, try and make that part of your name as well. Boring answer I know but essentially the web is an excellent free advert if you get this right. I didn't by the way!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2008 17:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sterling nice ideas...but i wanted to kep away from using my name in it..... i had ideas like Risky Business Saftey SOlutions
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2008 22:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Elfin Safety! Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2008 08:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By SBH Safety matters Safety sense
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2008 08:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Jones Safe Approach Safe Systems Safety First, Last and Always
Admin  
#9 Posted : 20 June 2008 09:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By willhiem How about - 'I know what i'm on about Safety consultancy' Or how about 'Super Sterling Special Safety Solutions' - might be able to squeeze another S in there somewhere
Admin  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2008 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phillipe Think you will find Safety Solutions is already taken Phil
Admin  
#11 Posted : 20 June 2008 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By The toecap How about Safety, Health Information Team :)
Admin  
#12 Posted : 20 June 2008 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MickN AAA Triple A Safety This way you are first in line in the golden pages. Of course you can always be outdone by AAAA Quadruple A Safety... and so on. Mick
Admin  
#13 Posted : 20 June 2008 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CFT 'Sterling & McKenzie Safety Associates Ltd' S&M simply does not work so I'd kinda leave that one alone;-) CFT
Admin  
#14 Posted : 20 June 2008 15:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CFT Oh sorry, just saw you wanted to not have your name in it. Apologies, I should have read your response. Just can't seem to get the staff these days;-) CFT
Admin  
#15 Posted : 21 June 2008 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By D Mitchell Sterling, I would advise that you check the Companies House website as there is a facility to serch for existing company names. This may same time, resources and ensure you are selecting a valid name. (http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/).
Admin  
#16 Posted : 21 June 2008 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sterling ok thanx alot......u all can keep the ideas coming in to
Admin  
#17 Posted : 21 June 2008 17:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Duffy I started my company two years ago and wondered for a long time of what name to go for. What I would say is that you must look at were you want to go with the company. If you want to work from home, get a few Clients and have a relaxing time of it, go for a your own name i.e. Mr. J Smith Safety Services. That way you are limited to what people will call you for out of the blue (a yellow pages advert etc) If you are looking to market it as a huge company and a one stop shop go for some thing that will stand out and then go for a good logo design along with looking up companies house and go to www.reg-123.co.uk and buy the rights to your own website. What I would say is be prepared to stand away from going out as a Consultant and find yourself sitting in meetings unrelated to actually doing the job. Running a business with lots of people you are not a Safety Consultant but a Business Man. You end up looking at sitting down with, Accountants, Advertisers, Admin Staff, Job interviews, IT discussions, premise finding and maintenance.....the list is never ending. What I find is you get more Clients that what all different works and you need to supply them with what they want...if you are going to keep it to yourself you can just say no...but if you have a company name that is appealing you will end up getting a bad name as you can not carry out the costumers requirements. Good luck..ohh its not easy but it is very rewarding to be the man/ women in control
Admin  
#18 Posted : 21 June 2008 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MP Grayson Aichfore Health and Safety. Think on it for a bit then crack on.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 29 June 2008 02:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sterling yeah Chris thanx for the information...well i was lookin at starting soomething small for now...and eventually to grow into something large later down the line.. reason being is that i'm still continuing my stuides and i'm not fully qualified to be a consultant but it'll be good to start from now to gain the experience i need..as i already have some experience in the field... so i hope things work out according to plan...but is to goet the name and do the search and then get the business cards out and start advertsing.. but i feel when things off the ground i may need some guidance from you all as to how to go about certain things but we'll take it one step at a time for now thanx
Admin  
#20 Posted : 29 June 2008 10:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Hi Sterling. Good move to decide not to use your name, as Sterling Safety Services already in the market. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#21 Posted : 30 June 2008 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sterling yeah thanx.....annd i'm trying to be unique as well
Admin  
#22 Posted : 01 July 2008 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Reynolds Dear Sterling I am certain that Safety Systems has been allocated. But would recommend your company name should be short and to the point. Good Luck & Best Wishes. T
Admin  
#23 Posted : 03 July 2008 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John A Wright Sterling, If all your customers are going to be local then there's nothing wrong in having Sterling in the company name, with the city, or county etc e.g. "Sterling Safety (Nottingham)" whatever. Looks good on your business card and if you can get the same name on a co.uk website then it all looks neat and professional. Although my surname is common and there are other XXXXXX....Safety companies in UK I was able to snatch up www.XXXXXXsafety.co.uk for 10 quid ! (XXXXXX to avoid mods removing message) Unfortunately getting exposure/visitors to your site these days seems to depend on how much you pay Google/Yahoo/Inforserve/Yell.com etc etc to get on their Business Maps search pages but I get enough to keep me going if people just put in the town/county and "safety consultant" and they ignore the top 10 (who will be too expensive) :o) John W
richardbell  
#24 Posted : 27 January 2022 17:32:26(UTC)
richardbell

Peter Gotch contributed to this article. Hello, Sterling. It was a wise decision to avoid using your own name, as Sterling Safety Services is already on the market. Regards, Peter...

stick merge

Roundtuit  
#25 Posted : 27 January 2022 20:50:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported hidden hyperlink
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 31/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 31/01/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 31/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 31/01/2022(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#26 Posted : 27 January 2022 20:50:40(UTC)
Roundtuit

Reported hidden hyperlink
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
RVThompson on 31/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 31/01/2022(UTC), RVThompson on 31/01/2022(UTC), peter gotch on 31/01/2022(UTC)