Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2000 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi All Can anybody give me a definitive definition as to whether the lifting assembly ie motor,pulleys,chains used to open loading bay doors (manual or electric type) are covered by LOLER. Regards Graham
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2000 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Graham. See page 1 Note 8 of 'Safe Use of Lifting Equipment ACoP & Guidance'. This states that PUWER also applies to work equipment. I believe that this may cover the bay door. It is a fitting/fixture, it has a purpose at work, and needs operation (by a trained person). As the door is not used for 'lifting loads' this should sort it out for you. In view of the above, it will also need to comply with requirements for safe operation, safe use, maintained by employer, fit for purpose ect ect... So, Instructions - Information - Training - Supervision - Risk Assessments - Manual Handling (operation lifting/pulling) - PPE (falls - eye protection - hand protection) Unless of course, anyone else knows differently.... Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2000 21:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I agree that powered shutter doors are covered under PUWER 98 rather than LOLER, which tends to deal with more traditional lifting equipment. Correct me if i'm wrong but the HSE have a useful Local Authority Circular (LAC) on the use, maintenance and thorough examination of the equipment in question.