Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2000 18:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dear, All. I have today received through the post some information from the MAPS Section on their upcoming AGM and an 'member update' information request. It occurred to me that a lot of information of this type could be sent to me via e-mail. After all, IOSH have my details in their Data-base and through use of this site. I think the Institution itself, as well as the various branches and factions could save some of their costs by utilising this method of information delivery, where members are able to access the internet at home, if not to an employment address. Comments please.... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2000 19:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Sounds a fine proposal to me. Mike
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2000 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Well Stuart, it looks like you and I are the only ones to have a view on this matter. However, the more likely explanation is that messages like this are not read by many people since most are hanging onto the old forum until the bitter end! It is still a valid and valuable idea - but are IOSH likely to respond with the same "not invented here" approach I wonder? Mike
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2000 08:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram I can assure you that your comments have been noted - I discussed them with Rob Strange last week. Wider use of e-mail fits with other plans and ideas, for example snailmail doesn't work well for many overseas members. However, like many good ideas, implementation is a lot harder than thinking it up! We have 23000+ members, many of whom do NOT have access to e-mail. Also some who do may prefer hard copy for some types of mailing. We would need reliable systems in place to record these preferences, track e-mail address changes, etc. However, there looks to be a good 'prize' in terms of reduced postage, so the idea will be investigated. Someone at Leicester has to compile a business case, and if this looks attractive enough, it will be approved in due course. But of course this isn't the only improvement currently being looked at, so which takes precedence? The recently approved Corporate Plan 2000 tries to look at the whole picture, I hope you will review it - contrary to what is indicated in this month's TSHP, comments can be received at any time, indeed CP2000 won't be mailed to members until around the end of the month. (Before you protest, it is going jointly with the new CPD brochure. Anyone who wants a copy via e-mail should use the contact given on p51 of TSHP). The situation isn't helped by offhand comments about 'IOSH' (i.e. Leicester staff) ignoring member requests. Every week they respond to hundreds of member requests received by post, phone and direct e-mail. The Discussion Forum is intended to be just that, so if only 2 members and the President seem interested, is it surprising that there is no public reaction? Our staff are extremely hard-working and, like most of us, respond better to positive feedback than negative. For them, reading the Forums recently hasn't been very rewarding. Neither our people, nor the systems they operate, are perfect but they ARE committed to continuous improvement. Visiting Leicester, meeting our people, or even talking to them by phone may help to change your views?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2000 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Ian. I am sure nothing derogatory was meant by the other respondent. I am pleased ISOH has an ear to the ground and has taken the idea on board. It's good to know these items get 'scanned' and taken up where appropriate. Thank you for your response. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2000 14:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Ian Your response is appreciated and as the person making off-hand comments about the "they" band at IOSH I feel it necessary to respond. Communications between members of organisations like IOSH are essential and now, more than ever before, the availability of e-mail for instant and rapid transfer of thoughts is leading to an explosion in this form of communication (for those who have it)! I for one find that instant e-mails and chatlines have expanded my professional horizons considerably in the last 12 months and I now respond to requests for help on such fora, as well as offering up my own queries for others to support and participating in purely chat-types of comment. This is great - especially for somebody who would never get around to writing formally before. Now we come to the rub - pure chat and informed opinion has been seen to co-incide with IOSH policies/views on many occasions over the last few months and there is an obvious (and dare I suggest, expanding) need for "official" contributions to those discussion threads. We see enough responses from some individuals at IOSH (such as Angela Wheatcroft for one) to recognise that "IOSH" are aware of at least part of the communications, so the reasonable assumption is that ALL are being monitored. So, it follows that when some threads grow into significant outpouringings of opinion, "IOSH" are well aware of it. When there is then nothing formal being said or acknowledged, it follows that the murmurings will become significant and eventually merge into a mass "anti-establishment" feeling against those who don't respond. I have been as guilty of this as I suspect others would admit to. The solution is to establish two-way dialogues and I am delighted to see your recent postings to that end. Please do expect that your contributions will improve the current state of "anti" feelings that have been created in recent months BUT don't expect that they will dissipate overnight. In short, DO see this Forum as very valuable and expect it to grow (in its old state for preference but if we have to, in this new format). By the same token, there may be a need to strengthen the means for monitoring it and responding to issues more regularly. Offered with all the very best intentions. Mike