Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2000 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Does anyone else experience serious delay in receiving their monthly copy of the SHP magazine? I have recently been made redundant so this publication is vital to me for job vacancies. A lot of employers place closing dates in their ads and these will be virtually on top of me by the time I receive my copy. If there are any kind souls out there who could help me out by faxing the appointments section to me then I would be eternally grateful. My fax number is 0121-356-5985. Many thanks in anticipation. Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2000 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Paul I have had the same problem. My October Issue arrived today 5th Oct. and a vacancy in my area has a closing date of 6th Oct. If you look on page 105 of September issue you will see a contact fax number and e-mail address for John Northey of United Business Media who is trying to sort out late deliveries. Sorry I dont have access to fax machine but good luck in your search. Phil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2000 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Thanks Phil, I have faxed and e-mailed John Northey and the editor of the magazine but they don't bother responding. IOSH gave the address of a website www.safetymags.com which is the internet version of SHP. However, when I went to the recruitment page is was blank. What a poor service this is!!!!! Paul
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2000 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson Many Professional Journals now publish vacancy sections on their web pages. New Scientist being one example. Is this a service to members which IOSH could offer and may possibly also attract more advertising revenue?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2000 18:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne John, The SHP is accessible on website www.safetymags.com. However, if you access the recruitment page guess what? there are no vacancies posted. Great service eh!!! Paul
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2000 08:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson Paul Our emails must have crossed over. I have to say I was not aware that SHP had a web site. Any announcement of its existence must have be buried in the small print! As you correctly say why have a vacancy section if they are not bothering to post advertisements. One very useful web page for safety jobs in the HE sector is www.jobs.ac.uk Live and learn!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2000 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz Spencer To Paul and others following this thread: I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the delivery of SHP, which is published by United Business Media (UBM)on behalf of IOSH. Since 1 October 2000 the publication has been subject to a new service level agreement. This includes delivery schedules specifying that the magazine should reach the relevant Post Office by the 30th of each month (with earlier dates in December and February.) We have been assured that this enables the Post Office to deliver the magazine, via its Pressstream 2 mailing system, to members for the 1st of the month. Since it appears that this is not always the case, I have asked UBM to actively monitor instances of late delivery, so that appropriate actions can be taken. I have also arranged for UBM's media pack, which goes to prospective advertisers, to include advice that advertisers should allow a minimum of two weeks between the scheduled delivery date of SHP and any deadlines which appear in their advertisement. We cannot of course insist they do so, but I hope it will reduce the likelihood of advertisers' specifying deadlines which are difficult or impossible to meet. To assist our monitoring, I'd be grateful if any members whose SHP arrives late would please notify John Northey (SHP Managing Editor at UBM) direct, on jnorthey@unitedbusinessmedia.com. Further details are, as already noted, on p105 of September's SHP. I would also appreciate being copied in on any correspondence. For your further information, the SHP Website, which is a comparatively recent development and is run by UBM rather than IOSH, will be the subject of discussions between the two parties over the next few months. I trust that this clarifies the concerns raised by members. Should there be other matters which you would like IOSH staff to address, you may find it helpful to refer to the Contacts section on this Website, where you will find email addresses, enabling you to send your query direct to the relevant members of staff. Kind regards, Liz Spencer, Head of Public Relations, IOSH
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2000 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston Liz has responded in a helpful way but I would also suggest that a more direct approach to such advertisers would reap dividends. If you call them at the earliest opportunity and explain that their advertisement has only just been published/received by you, many employers (at least in the private sector) would look favourably on a late application. For all I know, any public sector adverts that fall foul of this type of problem should have been given longer lead times anyway - perhaps they also would accept that you had a reasonable case, especially where only a few days are involved.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2000 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Shame on you, Liz, for posting such a reasonable answer. I was looking forward to joining the fashionable trend of slagging off IOSH. Now I'll have to find something else! Laurie
Admin  
#10 Posted : 06 October 2000 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Paul Try also using www.jobsite.co.uk Once you have set up your search criteria they will e-mail new vacancies to you on a daily basis. If you set up your cv, you can send it in immediately in response. John
Admin  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2000 20:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce F.A.O.John Donaldson John I was intersested at your recommendation of the jobs website for safety jobs but how do you find the Safety jobs sector? When I surfed this site the job discipline sector did not appear to list safety jobs. Your further help would be appreciated, Thanks Brian