Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2000 10:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maria O'Malley Task:Manual polishing operation carried out on linishing belts and buffing mops. The components each weigh about 1 kg and take 10 minutes to polish. A number of operators perform this task continuously throughout the day. Health surveillance is in place. What do I need to consider to produce a suitable and sufficient risk assessment with regards to hand arm vibration?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2000 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Maria, When carrying out the risk assessment on the polishing operations you should at least consider the following:- 1. Person 2. Task 3. Tools & equipment 4. Workbench 5. Exposure 6. Workpiece 7. Workload 8. PPE 9. Maintenance schedule I suugest you purchase the HSE publication HS(G)170 'Vibration Solutions' it is a very practical guide to what to look for and provides a variety of methods for reducing/eliminating vibration problems. The ISBN number is 0-7176-0954-5 and is available from HSE Books and good booksellers at £13.75. HSE Books can be contacted on 01787-881165. Hope this is of some use. Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2000 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Don't forget the manual handling implications of standing in front of a machine with a load, presumabably with outstretched arms. The fact that it is only 1kg does not mean you need a proper MH assessment.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2000 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Sorry about the grammar. I missed out don't in last sentence. The RA is required despite the low weight.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 October 2000 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Maria This sounds quite similar to polishing for metallography. My experience in that field showed that there was also a chance of people developing upper limb disorders, specifically of the shoulder and elbow, probably related to having to put downward pressure on the sample for extended periods of time. The chance of this occurring was strongly related to the height of the polishing wheel in relation to their height. (A technician who worked with one shoulder raised in order to push down on the sample was very badly affected - this was solved by lowering the wheel). Have a look at HSG60, Work related upper limb disorders, 0 7176 0475 6. Regards Jane