Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2000 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Huw Williams I work for a local authority and we need to formalise our policy on work with asbestos and also managing asbestos the risk from materials left in situ. Does anyone have an example of an asbestos management policy? Or could you point me in the direction of guidance you might have found useful (I am familiar with HSEs asbestos guidance). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Huw
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2000 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is a very good handbook, "The Control and Management of Asbestos in Buildings-A System of Local Rules" by Janet Claydon & Jane Morgan, published by H & H Scientific Consultants Ltd in 1997. Tel:0113 268 7189
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 November 2000 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Faupel Huw, If you e-mail me with your details (e-mail address, phone number etc) I will get our Asbestos Co-ordinator to contact you to discuss our policy and procedures. Although they are currently under review they have been designed to match the proposals published earlier this year by HSC. During the past two years we have developed survey protocols/arrangements and a database. In parallel with that we are currently piloting a Contractor Control procedure for use by our premises managers, covering not only asbestos but other situations where, in an industrial context, "Permit to Work" is the usual approach. Paul Faupel County Health & Safety Adviser Cambridgeshire County Council
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 November 2000 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Howden You may live to regret posting your offer, but could you get your Asbestos Co-ordinator to contact me as well? We thought our systems were foolproof until a recent incident, so we would be interested in the content of your procedures, especially on Contractor Control. Where can I find your e-mail address so that I can send you my details? Regards Bob Howden Assistant Health and Safety Adviser The City of Edinburgh Council
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2000 19:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bruce Sutherland If Bob "the Indians are aiming better" would like to contact me, then I am sure that we can help with asbestos policies - we have a large number of LA clients in the South West, and I am sure that one of them would be able to help. Cheers Bruce Sutherland
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 November 2000 23:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Faupel To all those who wish to contact my colleague who is our Asbestos Co-ordinator, the details are: Paula Worswick, Asbestos Co-ordinator, Cambridgeshire County Council, Shire Hall, Castle Hill, Cambridge, CB3 OAP. Please write to Paula in the first instance putting your enquiry into perspective in relation to your present policy and arrangements for the management of asbestos in buildings. Cambridgeshire does not claim to have got it right by the way, nor that its system is foolproof. Perhaps Paula might be invited to present a paper at the PS National Safety Symposium next September? We might have sufficient evidence by then of the effectiveness of the system and what further developments have taken place to overcome any deficiences in the light of experience. Paul Faupel County Health & Safety Adviser Cambridgeshire County Council