Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2000 14:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Tobin
The wearing of safety glasses is mandatory in our workshops. Some of our staff are concerned that their eyesight may be adversly affected in the long term. Do you know of any research done on this subject?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2000 21:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Taylor
I WORKED IN THE MINING INDUSTRY FOR OVER 20
YEARS MY LATTER YEARS AS A SAFETY OFFICER
WE HAD EYE PROTECTION ZONES IN VAROIUS AREAS AND HAD INTIAL SIMULAR RESPONSE FROM OUR
WORKFORCE I BROUGHT IN SEVERAL TYPES OF EYE PROTECTION ALL OF THE CORRECT STANDARD BS
2092 FOR THE APPLICATION AS REQ
I EVEN SET UP EYE TESTS FOR THEM AND SET UP A QUESTION SHEET FO THEM TO LIST ANY PROBLEMS NOT OF WHICH SEEMED TO BE VERY
DRAMATIC THE MAIN POINT WAS I THINK THE RELUCTANCE TO ACTUAALLY BE BOTHERED TO WEAR THEM I DONT KNOW IF YOUR COMPANY HAS A ON SITE MEDICAL FACILITY I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE ACCESS TO THIS FOR ADVICE INFORMATION AND A TRIP TO THE TESTING CENTRE FOR THESE.
TRY AND ENLIST HELP FROM EMAS EVEN THE COMPANY WHO MAKE THE GLASSES YOU USE AND GATHER SOME EVIDENCE GOOD LUCK JOHN T