Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2000 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Marshall I am trying to find out any information on restrictions on the storage of temporary goal posts e.g. height of storage. Any help would be gratefully received. Regards Angela Marshall
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2000 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Angela. In my experience temporary goal post are usually stored outside adjacent to the playing surface or area. If they are to be moved indoors for storage head room is always useful to avoid damage to skull's. In one of my past employers leidure centres the posts were loaded onto a wheeled trolley that was then pushed into a rather nice, almost designed for it building void to the side of the pitches below a staircase leading outdie to the pitches. Could a trolley help here? Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2000 21:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm not aware of any particular restriction or published guidance on this - other than the need for safe storage and access as determined through risk assessment under the Manual Handling Operations Regs. Bearing in mind the weight and shape of these things, I would be most surprised if they could meet these criteria if stored in a manner requiring an initial grip above about 1500mm unless some form of mechanical aid is being used. One point to consider is the issue of unauthorised accessibility to children. There was a fatality some years ago when an intruding child was hit by a cross-bar when it was pulled over. I always tell our schools to either remove such items from site or secure them in such a way that they cannot pose a risk of this nature.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2000 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Hall The Football Association have been promoting safe use of portable goals, and may be able to help.