Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2000 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HAS ANYBODY GOT INFO ON THIS SUBJECT? WORKERS HAVE BEEN PULLED FROM THEIR NORMAL JOB AND HAVE BEEN TRAINED ON A COURSE FOR FUTURE WORK TO BE DONE,THE COURSE IS HIGH PRESSURE JETTING SO IT WAS IMPORTANT THAT THE TRAINING BE GIVEN. THE COURSE WAS FROM 09.00HRS-16.30 ON A FRIDAY AND WITHOUT IT THE FUTURE WORK WOULD NOT BE AVAILABLE. THEREFORE I THINK THAT WHILST THE MEN HAVE BEEN PULLED FROM THEIR NORMAL SCOPE OF WORK TO BE TRAINED I WOULD SAY THAT THEY ARE STILL IN THEIR NORMAL WORKING HRS. MANAGEMENT OF H&S AT WORK REGS REG 11 {CAPABILITY AND TRAINING} THIS REG.SPELLS OUTTHE REQUIREMENT AND THE EMPLOYER MUST PROVIDE SAFETY TRAINING TO EMPLOYEES: 1=UPON EMPLOYMENT 2=WHEN JOB OR RESPONSIBILITY IS CHANGED. 3=HWEN NEW EQUIPMENT OR TECHNOLOGY IS INTRODUCED. 4=WHEN EVER THE NEW SYSTEM OF WORK CHANGES. ALL TRAINING MUST BE CARRIED OUT DURING NORMAL WORKING HRS,OUTSIDE OF NORMAL HRS IT MUST BE AN EXTENSION OF THE EMPLOYEES TIME AT WORK. HWSA SECTION 9 THE EMPLOYER SHALL NOT LEVY OR PERMIT TO BE LEVIED ON HIS EMPLOYEES ANY CHARGEIN RESPECT OF ANYTHING DONE OR PROVIDED IN PERSUANCE OF ANY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT OF STATUTORY PROVISIONS. THE PROBLEM IS THE EMPLOYER OF THESE MEN DOES NOT WANT TO PAY THEM FOR THIS DAY OF TRAINING. THE MEN HAVE SIGNED CONTRACTS SAYING THAT ALL H&S LEGISLATION WILL BE FOLLOWED. THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT NOT BEING PAYED IF ON COURSES. WHERE DO THEY STAND ? ANY INFO WELCOME URGENTLY STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2000 20:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Steve, It would be nice to say that this was probably one of those rare occassions where an employer does not appreciate the importance of H&S training. Sadly, it goes on more than you may think. Anyway, to respond to your posting. You are quite right that the training should take place during normal working hours, or if it is necessary to do it out of these hours, then the hours should be considered part of the working day and therefore salaried. The employer is therefore in breach of Regulation 13 (not 11) of the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and ultimately Section 9 of HASAWA. However, unless normal industrial relations techniques can get the employer to agree the payment for this and any future necessary H&S training, then the only course of action open to the aggrieved parties may be to inform the enforcement agency. If the Inspector cannot get an amicable settlement to the issue by way of reasoning, he/she will have no alternative but to take the appropriate legal action against the employer. This process may prove to be very long winded and during and after this period working relations between the employer and employees may become difficult to say the least. All this red tape may not expedite the employees pay as quick as they would like. In your posting you do not state whether the employees are represented by a Trade Union, if they are then this may be the best course of action. If not, I suggest you try negotiation before you bring the enforcers into the equation. The one thing that is probably certain in all this is, that if you do nothing, it will happen again. I know this hasn't helped you to resolve the problem but it is probably as good as it gets. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2000 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Just for the record, I agree with Paul Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2000 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram I agree with Paul and sympathise with your position. There is a fairly long history in the offshore industry of problems when people are required to attend industry-standard refresher training in their "time off", usually 2 weeks when they are at home. As far as I know, it is universally agreed that individuals should paid for this time - the issue is trying to agree whether they should have extra "time off" as well. I hope this example helps.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2000 11:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Spot on with your concerns and I must agree with Paul's full answer. Another tack which you have already identified is that the work would not have been won without the training. Get the employer to treat it as a capital investment which may well win more work - fully trained up water jetting team for hire etc. Best of luck with your arguments - I hope this episode is an isolated one for your firm.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2000 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle There is another angle. I would suggest that employment law as well plays a part here. If the personnel were contracted to work the hours, and of course the employer is legally required to provide training (as above ect), the men are fully entitled to pay for those hours within their working week. They may even decide NOT to do this work until they have recieved the pay for the hours they have been contracted to work and denied by their employer. This could be a good negotiating tool !! If they are represented by a trade union, I suggest they take this matter to their representative at the earliest opportunity. Stuart Nagle