Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2000 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Lister Although the hospitals where I work have stringent arrangements for the safe disposal of sharps, occasionally sharps are found in dirty laundry delivered for cleaning. We are reviewing the effectiveness of the existing systems. Of course, the prime objective is to eliminate the possibility of the inappropriate disposal of sharps. However, does anyone have any experience of protection provided for laundry staff to eliminate the risk of sharps injuries ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2000 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Paul If you really have a problem with sharps you could try the 'chain mail' gloves that are found in a number of safety catalogues. They aren't much help with syringes though. Expensive but washable and re-useable. Don't forget that kneecapping is a legitimate punishment for staff that leave sharps in pockets of uniforms/coats!! Regards Bryn@UHL
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2000 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Bryn I am shocked at your leniency!! John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2000 16:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin The first control that sprung to my mind was,why not use a portable metal detector!, the type you use for detecting metal coins etc, coupled with the PPE,INFORMATION, INSTRUCTION AND KNEE CAPPING OF PERSONS WHO LEAVE SUCH ITEMS IN GARMENTS,I IMAGINE THAT IT MAY PROVE VERY EFFECTIVE. PS - IF YOU KNOW OF ANY VACANCIES IN THE NORTHERN REGION,DROP ME A LINE! Regards Martin Knox - Jobseeker (although currently employed)