Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2000 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands Can anyone please advise me on whether for any reason, a main contractor on a construction site, would not assume the responsibilities of the occupier under the Occupiers Liability Act 1984. In particular, I am interested in whether the main contractor, as controller of the site, would owe a common law duty of care to trespassers. I am not sure whether the Act applies to construction sites or only to occupied premises. Any advice would be most welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2000 23:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor My understanding is that if the Principal Contractor has control of the site both the 1957 and the 1984 Acts will apply. By way of hypothesis, if the 1984 Act did not apply, the Common Law duty of care to trespassers (as prior to the 1984 Act) would. Irrespective of the above, Section 3 of the Health & Safety at Work, Etc Act will be applicable.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2000 08:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alan Harsley I agree with the previous response. It is worth remembering that the HASAW Act refers to criminal law in which the body in breach would be prosecuted where as the common law duty to trespassers is a tort, based in civil law, and would result in a claim for compensation. Alan.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2000 23:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson If a contractor is in occupation of the site for the purposes of the Occupiers Liability Act 1957 he will owe lawful visitors a duty to see that the premises are safe for the purpose of their visit. A contractor who does not control the works is not in occupation of them. During the execution of the works, an employer who retains control of the premises will be liable as an occupier to third parties. Where damage is caused to a visitor by a danger arising from faulty execution of any work of construction, maintenance or repair, the employer will have a defence if he acted reasonably in entrusting the work to an independent contractor and took steps to satisfy himself that the contractor was competent and that the work had been properly done. Where the occupier is or should be aware that a trespasser may at risk from a danger on the site and it is a risk against which, in all the circumstances, the occupier should offer protection, he owes the trespasser a duty to see that he does not suffer death or personal injury by reason of that danger. See Halsbury's Laws of England 4th Edn Para 459 et seq