Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 December 2000 22:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PETER GANNAWAY
During a recent training session on General Risk Assessments, I was asked what the Health & Safety Risk Assessment implications were for newspaper delivery staff. As employed staff I considered that an Assessment of their activities would be required. Also being children, I believed that the findings should be communicated to the parents. In reality I seriously doubt if much effort is actually put into the H&S of children on paper rounds. Can anyone tell me if there is any guidance in this area, and whether successful prosecutions have ever been made against Newsagents for failing to operate a safe system of work.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2000 08:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom
Peter contact City of Edinburgh Environmental Health Officers on 0131 529 3030 or Craig Ewing, Environmental Health Officer Stratford Council 01789 260816 they have information on this. Your local council Environmental health office should also have information.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2000 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth
There has recently been some research in this area, conducted by John Tomlinson of Derby City Council, looking at the whole system of safety and paper boys/ girls.

An article has been published in this months Environmental Health Journal (Email me on budworth-n@nsk.com with your fax number or address and I'll send it over)

Broadly it confirms that whilst some newsagents understand the regulations and take actions most do not.

Best Regards

Neil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2000 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill
Local authorities (County Councils) are normally responsible for issuing guidelines for children and the work they can do. This covers Paper-rounds, working in restaurants etc. If my memory serves correctly, (and the Christmas 'spirit' usually fogs it a little at this time of year), Children under compulsory school leaving age (16?) require a work permit from the council before they start work. Part of this permit covers the basic risk assessment process and informing parents of the risks their offspring are facing. However, as Neil says, there is very little enforcement in this area. Try your local council for a copy of the bye-laws.
Jerry
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 December 2000 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart
Peter,
There used to be a system through the employment service, (Careers Depts of local authorities/education authorities) which addressd a Permission Form for young pople to be paper boys/girls.
It also had an age verification and a Parental consent. However under current local authority procedures I don't know what rules/arrangements might still be in place.

Have you considered tackling the question another way.
What about approaching the Newspapers themselves. They want there Newspapers delivered to the customers. I am sure that they would not wish to be associated with endangering the Health & Safety of Young people delivering there papers. Imagine the headlines.
Newspapers used to provide Newspaper Boy/Girl satchels to carry the papers in.These not only had adverts on them but were made of a High Viz Dayglo type fabric with Retro - reflective Scotchlite type material on them.
I am sure the paper companies could be encouraged to sponsor High Viz Tabards or waistcoats as well. Also if the young people used there own bicycles they could be provided with lights and replacement batteries.
A personal Alarm device would also be of use and you could enclose that in your sponsorship for safety request.
Also liaise with your local police and crime Prevention dept., for advice.
These are just some ideas, it is a long time since I was a paperboy, but hope these suggestions are of some help.
Seasons Greetings.
Regards.
Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 December 2000 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I remember back in my early local authority days, when the concept of risk assessment was first publicised, that I received a number of telephone calls from local newsagents asking what provision they should be making for their newspaper delivery boys and girls. I think they must have been prompted by either their trade association or the Newspaper supply people. Any decent risk assessment for this job is likely to determine that some form of wheeled conveyance and high visibility retro-flective material are required, among other things, and, if this is not happening, reminders are needed and enforcement action considered. I also seem to remember that RoSPA put something out on this subject a few years ago. Perhaps they could consider raising the profile of this again?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 December 2000 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
Try

The National Federation of Retail Newsagents, Yeoman House, Sekforde Street, London EC1R OHS, Tel: 0171 253 4225
"DELIVERING SAFETY" Available to members of the NFRN

or

The Newspaper Society, Bloomsbury House, 74-77 Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DA, Tel: 0171 636 7014
"THE SAFE DELIVERY GUIDE: AN A TO Z OF HELPFUL HINTS" available to members of The Newspaper Society