Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2000 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Following an accident we withdrew salon type hooded hairdriers from our hospital geriatric wards. These machines are designed to dry hair as quickly as possible, when the temperature inside the hood quickly rises to over 70deg C (manufacturers test data 58-73deg) enough to cause burns. They have a hand control for the occupant to turn the heat down when it gets too hot. Risk assessment concludes that these are unsuitable for use by people who cannot use the hand control/lift the hood away/shout and attract attention. Even under supervision it is not possible to determine what conditions are like under the hood. Some patients may not react to the heat until it is too late. The HSE concurs with our findings. These are long stay patients, for whom a hairdo provides an important psychological boost. The hairdresser says perms cannot be done without a hood drier (I am ignorant of such matters - my suggestion of heated rollers was greeted with derision). What have others in the care sector done to tackle this problem? Are they aware of it? Is there such a thing as a salon hair drier with thermostat and fail safe thermal cut-out? One manufacturer tells me not but is this so? Thanks for any help in this. John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 January 2001 08:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty After a quick chat with my wife she pointed out that you can do a perm without a hair drier but you need heat when setting some ones hair. A solution she suggested was for you to set the temperature at a low heat and then ensure that they cannot adjust it. I hope that this is of some help.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 January 2001 08:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment What about those bag things? They look like a very large swimming cap and have a tube attached to a small fan heater. My Nans had 2 heat settings neither of which were very hot. I only know this because we used to put it on my nippers head and toast him!! Tsk!, tsk! children eh! She bought a new one recently so they are still about. Good luck ps I'm going over to my elderly care wards later and I'll check out their hairdriers.