Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2001 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Dear, All. I would welcome advise from those readers who have any experience in creating packages on CD (though a cd writer) for training of employees. I am particularly interested in being able to do the following: 1. Create pages for training holding information and self assessment questions ect 2. being able to incorporate video footage to 'play' within the sections 3. the package runs rather like a web page, with 'links' to other pages ect... I am aware that I could simply use a web page and put in photos ect, but I would like to know if there are any more 'professional' packages out there that will enable me to have a crack at a more developed way of doing this... and produce something akin to items such as those professionally produced training packages available from commercial outlets. All advise welcomed... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 January 2001 13:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Check the Macromedia website http://www.macromedia.com. You can go two ways: Multimedia packages for CDrom can be created using Director (expensive and steep learning curve - but its the application that most pros use) or Authorware (somewhat less expensive and a bit easier); or you can go down the web authoring route using Dreamweaver(html)/Fireworks(graphics)Studio with the CourseBuilder extension (the extension is free with Dreamweaver 4). I prefer the web based approach - I think its easier to develop, it can be placed on internet and intranet as well as stand laone on PC, its easier to update and expand, and it can be better integrated with other web based resources both of your own and would (and have) If you want database integration (which you'll need to give feedback, and track performance) with the dreamweaver site you might go for Dreamweaver Ultradev (basic Dreamweaver will do this but Ultradev makes this easier. I believe the latest version of Macromedia Flash (5)- which is like a cut down version of Director which builds Shockwave files - works well with databases (and with Dreamweaver) too. One of the main advantages that I have found using Dreamweaver/CourseBuilder is the wealth of free third party extensions to the package and the extensive support from the Macromedia community from mailing lists, newgroups and the Dreamweaver webring. Either route will allow you to integrate video (e.g. Quicktime)into your packages If you can forgo the interactivity - but still want to create a hyperlinked presentation with embedded video - Then my favourite package is Adobe Acrobat - the full monty, not just the reader. From http://www.adobe.com/ With Acrobat you can author the pages in your favourite word proceesor /DTP /presentation packages and then build the training presentation very easily (all drag and drop)in Acrobat - with complex learning maze-like navigation between pages you can even give the feeling of interactivity. (If you're a javascript wizard - I'm not - you can even build interactive forms to integrate with databases - but this is not easy stuff. Qualifications - warnings: I have no link with Macromedia or Adobe - I just like their stuff. Building this sort of package is time consuming - the main benefit against the cost is that you can build something that is closely integrated with the way that you do your stuff. Off the shelf packages - even pricey ones - will almost always work out a lot cheaper. It helps if you're a bit of a propeller head :)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2001 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Mark. Thank you very much for your response which will be of great assistance. All the best.... Stuart Nagle