Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2001 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Dear all IOSH recently produced their Corporate Plan 2000 for members to comment upon. There are many aspects of the corporate that need to be debated at length and this forum would probably be a good one for that. (For the record; both Philip and I have made our comments to council) To start I have posted the following comment regarding the notion of rebranding IOSH. "Rebranding is a costly and unnecessary activity. As well as the direct cost to IOSH (the members) for this exercise there is a substantial consequential cost to all of those IOSH members whose corporate stationary would also have to change. It would seem that there can only be one winner in this one; the image consultant. Its hard to imagine how the benefits of rebranding (if there are any) could outweigh the costs." Any thoughts? Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2001 14:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Ciaran My Brigade recently decided to 're-brand' and whilst there are many political and organisational reasons for this we find ourselves having to explain ourselves to the public and others who have a simple expectation, that we are a 'Fire Brigade'. The notion of 'Fire and Rescue' whilst logical requires all our fire station signs to be changed, logo's on clothing, badges and stationary etc., not to mention numerous bank accounts and standing orders, as you say an expensive option. This along with a necessary re-education of our 'customers' may appear to be justified to some but I still need convincing as with IOSH. Frank
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2001 15:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I agree. Is this the current fad? I see that the Post Office is going to be rebranded as 'Consignia'! Guess who will be paying for that! The only thing about IOSH needing rebranding is a journal called 'SHP'.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2001 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Don't have to look outside IOSH for an example of a recently re-branded product - you're looking at one! A consultant no doubt earned a fee for the website 'image enhancement' but is it better? - information wise yes it is but nothing more that couldn't be put on , or was on the old site. Forum wise I guess that more visitors (especially regulars) are closer to having RSIs from the extra clicks and scrolling required to navigate the ****ed thing! This is not meant to be an 'old site v new site' tirade just an example of re-branding where there is no visible benefit apart from an exterior tart up. I'd heard that BP had done some research on the public reaction to their new flower logo. Completely shot themselves in the foot because people thought it was promoting margerine. And to link petrol with improving the environment / saving the planet ....... DOH! ... nuff said!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2001 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Yikes! Previous message , para 2 - seems like the image enhancers also put in a little package that replaces oaths with stars. Just in case you thought I'd sworn big time the word was dam ned.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2001 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Speaking as a front line instructor and practioner with contacts with many varied orgs, the name 'IOSH' is not that well known as it is, let alone changing it. My thoughts from the sharp end are that if something isn't broken, why try and fix it! Many, many of my colleagues are just getting used to the idea of H&S issues, part of which is pointing them in the direction of IOSH and what can be offered with regards to training and advice. To rebrand IOSH, perhaps as a marketing strategy, would certainly be a folly. Perhaps a corporate strategy building on what's already there would be better? As yet I am not a member of IOSH but look to them as one of the lead bodies to help my work. While conducting research around H&S issues, everyone in the field quotes IOSH, those outside don't yet know it. And yes I do know there are other alternatives, they are even less well known outside the H&S field. For what its worth, I conduct training in personal safety using H&S as a backbone to build on. All my course particpiants are advised to log into IOSH, whether they become members or not is affected by their impression. By changing a relatively little known (outside H&S) image could cause tremendous damage for those we are here to serve - those front line end users. Just a thought.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2001 17:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Before we get carried away with this re-branding is bunk thread, I just want to outline a few of the reasons that this is in the corporate plan. As a council member I have been privy to some discussions around this. Just a reminder of what we are talking about, the section from the corporate plan says :- 'Within five years the Institution should become established in the minds of key stakeholders as delivering its services against its mission. The IOSH ‘brand’, including corporate messages, stakeholder perceptions and visual identity, or name, will receive close attention.' The main thing is that the Institution becomes well recognised for what it does and what it stands for and that in turn means that the members receive greater recognition. It states that the brand will receive close attention, not necessarily that it will change, although for some very practical reasons it may. The practical reasons relate to the current logo :- the coat of arms which looks great - (mostly) The logo does not reproduce well, especially electronically and especially when it is a small logo. If you don't believe me just have a look at the logos on this web site. How many people realise that there is a cog in the logo, or an owl ? The intention is I understand to undertake an audit of the brand to see how it is perceived, before any action is taken. There is also the fact that we hope to be granted a royal charter in the not too distant future. This is a huge step in the development of the Institution. The granting of chartered status means that we have come of age and we are recognised as being on a par with the other chartered institutions, in effect it means we have been recognised as the leading body for health and safety professional. So what better way to signal the change than to look at the way we present ourselves. The stationary etc would need to be changed anyway to reflect the chartered status. As members we (well certainly, I) want to see a sea change in health and safety management from the board room down and we have been continually pushing for IOSH to take a higher profile. Well the time is nearly here, but we need to listen to the professionals we employ to advise us on these matters, so that they have the tools they need to do the job properly. We expect the people who employ us as professionals to do the same and take our advice. I strongly support IOSH being more proactive in terms of its public profile and visibility, so lets do what is necessary to do it right. Best Regards Neil Budworth
Admin  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2001 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Neil The fact that some of us still need convincing does not mean that we cannot be convinced. And yes, some of us who may be perceived as negative or stick in the mud's should have our fears engaged not as the enemy but as fellow team players. An idea, which goes through this kind of 'furnace', stands a better chance. Thanks for a look at the 'Big Picture'. Frank
Admin  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2001 08:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I wonder how many people closely examine any coat of arms to see how many owls, cogs, ducks, etc they contain. the essential thing is that they recognise the logo, know the name and what it stands for. Why must we pay for an audit as well as a new brand and stationery rather than promoting the Institution from its current vantage point achieved over many years - or do we want a charter without a coat of arms?
Admin  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2001 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Dear Ken, The comments about the logo were partly flippant, I know people do not look at the logo in the level of detail I was describing, but the fact remains it does not reproduce very well when it is small. With regard to the audit if you want to get to where you are going you have to know where you are starting from. We need to know how we are perceived so that we can tailor the messages we send out and we can choose the most appropriate media to use. The stationery etc will have to change anyway when (if) we get a royal charter. I go back to the original statement in the corporate plan ‘the Institution should become established in the minds of key stakeholders as delivering its services against its mission. The IOSH ‘brand’, including corporate messages, stakeholder perceptions and visual identity, or name, will receive close attention.’ This doesn’t necessarily mean there will be any changes and if there were any changes as you say it would make sense to build on what has been achieved. Drop me a line if you would like to discuss this in more depth. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2001 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Neil two points, (1) Discussing the issue of rebranding is hardly bunk try reading Mr Mc Aleenan's posting again. (2) Perhaps you or your fellow council members could inlighten the rest of us on the discussions to which you have been privy. Tim.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2001 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Dear Tim, I am always happy to talk about the workings of council and to explain why decisions were taken and the arguments for and against. Please give me a call on 0115 936 6509 or e mail me on budworth-n@nsk.com and I'll answer any questions I am able to. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2001 21:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Sometimes it helps to be a little flippant in order to make a point. Please recognise the note of appreciation in my communication too. As a member of IOSH for many years I have watched the Institution become more professional and better known and appreciated - and would not want the ground gained to become lost in a re-packaged product. Spending the money on improved member services should do more to promote IOSH than paying consultants for a new image. Let's keep this debate in the open at least.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2001 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Neil, I am surprised at the tenor of your opening remarks “…rebranding is bunk thread…”. The issue raised and being addressed by the contributors is genuine and legitimate, since it goes to the heart of relationships between council and the members, i.e council acting without full consultation with members. I will elaborate more fully on that below. Firstly, however, you indicate, in this particular posting, that you are a council member. Does this mean that your comments represent council or are they personal in nature? Either position is OK! It’s just that I would like to know with whom I am corresponding. Moving on to the substantive issues raised; 1. Your reference to the text of the Corporate Plan is incomplete. The following is extracted from the body of the plan “The name of the Institution may need to be changed and this requires the approval by the Privy Council. There is potentially a major project to be completed in the period before Chartered Status is granted to select and prepare to launch a name, new identity etc. The new name, identity and messages will need to be developed within the context of an overall strategy for the IOSH brand. The project should cover, inter alia, name selection, development of the visual identity and planning of the communications activities/ events to launch the new name/ brand/ strategy.” The implication in the above paragraph is that Council is much further down the road to rebranding than your posting indicates. My questions are as follows; Why do we need a name change? (it doesn’t appear to be a Privy Council requirement) Has a consultant been appointed to develop a new name/brand/ strategy project? What is the timescale for completion of this project? What budget has been allocated to it? What membership consultation is to take place? 2. The second point, made in my original posting, relates to the considerable on costs to members (not the fee implication) who have their own corporate stationery that will have to be changed should IOSH proceed with a name change. Has this been, or will it be considered in the new name/brand/ strategy project? I have no problem with IOSH working towards recognition as a world-class institution but surely it will take more than changing the name. We need to be working on the fundamentals. Neil, I note that you are happy to talk about the workings of Council and to explain why decisions were taken. That’s a positive point. Please keep the discussions open where there is interest wider than that of the individual. Regards Ciaran
Admin  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2001 16:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Dear Ciaran, Firstly let me apologies for the opening remarks of my initial posting. The remark was merely an attempt to keep the tone light. Secondly let me make it clear that I am responding as an individual. I feel that the workings of the institution should be as transparent as they can be and that as a council member I have a responsibility to explain why decisions have been made as I may have been party to discussion where additional information was available. This is not to say that information is suppressed there is often simply a large volume of material produced (the corporate plan itself had five working parties and a steering committee) and of course there will be formal and informal discussion around any subject. With regard to your questions themselves a plan of work has been established to support the corporate plan, as you would expect. As far as I understand it the only action that is taking place on this issue is the audit to see how we are perceived by key decision makers and timescales for this are in the process of being agreed. As I understand it the name of the Institution will be reviewed if we gain a royal charter. I do not have any further information than this other than the Institute of Environmental health Officers changed to the Chartered Institute of ….. when they obtained their charter. I have taken the opportunity to double check with Liz Spencer and she has confirmed that the Institution hasn't made any decision regarding a name change – that is why we are carrying out an audit and consultation re current awareness and opinions! The info in the Corporate Plan was included to give members an idea of what might be involved in any brand review. It does not mean that we will necessarily do all or indeed any of it. I do not have details of any times scales involved and know of no separate budget other than the budget which has been allocated to achieve the aims of the corporate plan per se, although some money will have been allocated for the initial stage (ie the audit) as part of that process. What I am sure about is that name changes etc would not go ahead without consultation, in council we are very aware of the trust that members have placed in us, that is why we ensured that every member was sent a full copy of the corporate plan. This was a costly exercise, but we felt that the future direction of the Institution was such an important issue that every member should see the detail of the plan. I have no specific details of the consultation arrangements, but they normally revolve around the Safety and Health Practitioner, the branches and increasingly via the website. With regard to the impact on members stationary etc. Any change (and I want to emphasise that not only has no decision been made, but the gathering of data to make a decision has only just begun) would require a consultation period and I would hope and Liz has confirmed that there will be a clear timescale which allows members to run down their stocks of stationery and publicity materials. We have a large number of members who run managing and working safely and we need to ensure that any change is clearly signposted. I agree with you that the fundamentals need to be worked on and we have started this. A couple of years ago the PR needs of the Institution were analysed by the company Countrywide Porter Novelli (the spelling may not be correct as this is from memory) on the basis of that report Liz Spencer was appointed and a PR department was set up. Together with CPN they have developed a corporate communications plan, which has many elements The foundations are in place and we need to listen to the advice of the professionals we employ in order to best serve the needs of the Institution. I am glad that people have read the corporate plan and have taken the time to comment on it. As I said previously I am always happy to talk about the workings of council and to explain why decisions were taken and the arguments for and against. Please give me a call on 0115 936 6509 or e mail me on budworth-n@nsk.com and I'll answer any questions I am able to. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#16 Posted : 05 March 2001 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Dear All Just spotted this in SHP at weekend "An audit and consultation process is now underway to explore the opinions of IOSH members and others on the Institution’s current corporate identity. The project aims to ensure that IOSH has a clearly defined identity that will support and strengthen its strategic objectives. The current opinion research referred to here will define firstly, the scope of any changes which might need to be made to the Institution’s name and visual identity, and secondly, the work which would need to be undertaken to effect such changes. All IOSH members and other interested parties are invited to complete and return the project questionnaire, available at http://www.iosh.co.uk/news/ Questionnaires are to be returned by Friday 9 March 2001." If you haven't already, there is not much time left if you want to participate.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 05 March 2001 17:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator If you prefer clicking to typing, go to the Home page, look in the "In brief" box and click "IOSH Corporate Identity...." Once you've read the intro., choose the web-based version if you want to complete and send your response online - it takes about 30 minutes to complete. If you need more thinking time, go for the download version. Happy clicking. Angela Wheatcroft Website Co-ordinator
Admin  
#18 Posted : 05 March 2001 20:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Neville Johnson Ciaran As my old Grand Papy used to say, 'If it aint broke don't fix it'. Frank