Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2001 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dot Tadman My company are involved in installation etc of pumps and associated equipment in pumping stations (this can be stormwater or sewage). This work involves a lot of confined space work. We do have a system in place to ensure that all confined space equipment (gas detectors, tripod and winch, emergency B.A. etc are certificated at all times. Our engineers have had confined space/emergency fire fighting/emergency evacuation/firstaid training, which is kept uptodate. They have also are required to have uptodate injections for Tetanus, Hep A and Hep B. Can anyone advise what other requirements I need to put in place for our engineers who are involved in confined space work? (particularly injections). Regards, Dot
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2001 16:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan A biohazard from this environment is Leptospirosis, Weils Diease. Immunisation is only possible against specific serovars and is not done in this country (as far as I know)for occupational exposure- protective clothing and education on modes of transmission. Information booklets are available from the environment agency.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2001 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Dot. In addition to the precautions you have already undertaken, your staff undertaking confined spaces working should also have full medicals, prior to training (for breathing apparatus use ect) and to ensure they are sufficiently fit and healthy to (a) undertake the work, and (b) as part of a medical screening system for workers in contact with hazardours substances and biological hazards. In addition, I would ensure that the training provision being supplied is suitable and suffient. get someone who is competent e.g. a H&S advisor with experience in this field to check it. There are the odd cases where such training is not as good as it could be !! Further, the following information and assessments need to be undertaken and in place; Manual Handling COSHH Equipment and PPE Assessments Risk Assessment in respect of all working locations/conditions/types of work undertaken First Aid/Welfare Assessments Permit to Work requirements and procedures also ned to be considered Rescue and Emergency Procedures must also be part of, and intergral to, the work and environment, with thought given to protecting the rescuers. I hope the above quick response is of asistance, but if you require any further information, please do hesitate to contact me (you can e-mail me direct by double clicking on my name above shown in blue). best regards... Stuart Nagle