Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2001 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway I'm looking for a telephone, radio or other electronic system suitable for use in a laboratory situation where the person has to work alone on a regular basis. I'd be grateful for details (source, effectiveness, ease of use, cost etc) of any such systems. Thanks Steve.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2001 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Barry Steve We use a system in our NHS Trust know as Teleprotect made by Ascom Alarms - contact number is 01732 742014. They make a range of alarms suitable for lone workers - they will be able to advise you on suitability, cost etc Regards Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2001 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Steve. There are quiate a few systems on the market. I suggest you explore by looking at ad's in H&S Practitioner, and also by using your browser on www. UI would also suggest that you look to having a system that has a built-in DSU (Distress Signal Unit) that will detect non-movement of the person if no movement is made within a certain time-frame i.e they could be incapacitated ect. Hope this helps... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2001 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway Stuart/Barry, thanks for your responses. I've tried the web for info but did not have much luck. I know of one system called Mancheck - however exploring the search results would have been likely to get me the sack. Steve
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2001 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Cooper Steve, I have just purchased a system from AOK safety. It will alarm if no movement is detected or the person falls down, it also has a panic button. false alarms can be avoided as it has a reset button. When it triggers it can be programmed to call up to 3 phone numbers to notify other personnel. If you contact me on: barry.cooper@sappi-europe.com I will forward contact numbers
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2001 12:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Another suggestion Voice Connect 0116 232 4640 I dont know anything of their system, but they recently sent me a mailshot re. protecting lone workers (community nurses) John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2001 18:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Deacon You could also try Coleshill Alarms of Fillongley Mount, Fillongley, Warwick. I used their system in a LGV maintenance shop for many years. It was robust, and did actually call for help when the situation warranted.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 14 February 2001 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Emma Some other systems to consider would be Cybertrack by a company called Orbis. They came and gave us a very impressive demonstration as a result we are considering piloting the system in our Housing Department. Tel: 0151 357 7800. Crysis Personnel Monitoring System by Inform Communications. Tel: 01344 717129 currently being piloted in our Social Services Dept. Intouch by Intec Tel: 0161 776 4031 Hope this helps Emma