Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2001 17:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Newcombe I need to write a spillage policy for liquid anaesthetic agents such as halothane and isoflurane. The data sheets state (and the suppliers confirm)that self contained breathing apparatus will be required. Have any hospitals managed to write this into a realistic working policy?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Caroline Are you sure you mean liquid? As far as I'm aware these are compressed gases. Even if they are compressed to the point where they become liquid you are unlikely to encounter them in liquid form. All compressed gas bottles are stringently manufactured and very strong and it would probably be a catastrophy to have one break and release the liquid contents. Even bottle valve failures would not release liquid but a slow release of the gas. Clearly if you have such a valve failure you would need to evacuate the area until such time as the bottle has emptied and the gas cleared by the scavenging system. If the emergency services were in attendance you would also need to inform them in case they had to enter the room, in which case they would need to wear SCBA. This equipment is costly and has training implications so I would leave it to the professionals! Your COSHH assessment should reflect all of this. If you can get liquid versions I'd be happy to eat my hat!! Regards Bryn
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Newcombe Bryn - prepare to eat your hat!! Honestly it is liquid. We have isoflurane, halothane, enflurane and servoflurane and they come in 500ml glass bottles with screw tops. The liquid is fed into a vapouriser and attached to the anaesthetic machine. Although the bottles are hardy they are not unbreakable.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2001 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Caroline Newcombe Bryn - As you mentioned in your first message the practicalities of SCBA,use, maintenance and training etc. is a nightmare in a large hospital with many different shift patterns. In addition to that the bottles are held in several different locations and used in 3 operating suites comprising of about 12 theatres and 12 anaesthetic rooms. A spillage anywhere would cause major containment and evacuation problems even before we get to the clearing up stage. I don't think there are any easy answers. But I'm nothing if not optimistic. Sorry about the teeth!! Caroline