Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2001 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster
Here in Waltham Forest we have just had a demonstration from a rep from Barbour Index showing us their cd/internet package for health and safety.In actual fact they also cover fire,environmental management,food safety and trading standards.It is a far cry from the microfiche system that we have (but rarely use) BI seem to have produced the most comprehensive library of information available...............or am I being duped?
What sources of information do you use,and what do you recommend?I would epecially be interested to hear from other local authorities who are using the new BI package.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2001 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant
Dear Richard,

Whilst I was working for the NHS in Haringey, I used Barbour as my source of information. I used the on-line access route as I only had a single CD drive and changing disks was a nuicance.

I found it very useful although there were a lot of areas that I did not use regularly.
As a source of copies of legislation etc. it was excellent. I had previously looked at Silver Platter but found it a little restricted.

As indicated, there is another thread on this subject on the forum which might also assist you.

Good Luck!

Martin Bessant.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2001 11:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Liz Johnston
Richard,

We too use Barbour and use it on a regular basis, particularly as various departments have subscribed so we all get it cheaper!! I have used Silver Platter in the past - but changed to Barbour. Happy to discuss when I next see you.

Ragards from sunny Croydon,

Liz
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2001 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster
Thanks Liz-What am I after ? London Boroughs expressing what (if any) esystem
they use,and whether they regard it as value for money.Like you we are looking at spreading the cost (Env.health,trading Standards etc) but I have to say I was impressed with the presentation from the Barbour Sales Rep.One for GLEA ?!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 February 2001 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Denis Hands
Richard,

I do not know what the nature of your employer's business is, however if it is anything to do with construction you, and possibly other readers of this thread, might be interested to know that the CITB is in the process of terminating its reproduction licencing agreement with Barbour Index. Therefore at some future update CITB publications will be removed from their information systems.

Regards

Denis Hands