Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2001 08:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By gavin leatherbarrow Can anyone help? I work in a college of further education which has a large engineering department. They are shortly to aquire a 'horizontal milling machine' and have asked me about the legal requirements for the brakes. In particular I need to know if there is a requirement for the machine to stop dead in an emergency. I have no engineering background or experience so any help would be most appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2001 14:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker The equipment that makes the machine stop dead in an emergency is called induction braking. Do you need it? Depends on the result of your risk assessment. The equipment supplier must ensure the machine he delivers to the college complies with the machinery directive and is thus CE marked. However, take my advice and do not rely on this alone, there are some very dodgy interpretations of what is safe. Having said that, ask your supplier to assist with the risk assessment process - if he can't, then the alarms should be ringing with regard to the equipment being acceptable to the directive. The risk assessment needs to be done by a competent person, I think you have already identified that you don't have that competence by asking for advice. If you obtain sufficient information and actively involve your engineering dept (who should have significant expertise) then you should be able to do a reasonable risk assessment between you. I suggest you obtain H&S in engineering workshops (HSG 129), which should give you some background, also BS 5304 safeguarding machinery. I had also quoted several other HSE documents, but having checked the catalogue list, I find they no longer exist. I would be very surprised (and worried)if this information is not already available in your colleges engineering dept. The machine, as a minimum, should have a combination of fixed and interlocking movable guards these should eliminate any possibility of the user coming into contact with the moving parts of the machine, therefore eliminating your emergency scenario occurring. Equally, one might argue that the induction braking system is relatively cheap in comparison with the machine's overall cost, therefore it is reasonably practicable to fit one, anyway.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2001 16:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ken stevens induction braking is normally a requirement of woodworking machines that fall under Annex 4 of the Supply of machinery Regulations. Annex 4 relates to particularly dangerous machines that must stop in less than 10 seconds. if the milling machine is safe by virtue of the CE certificate & your companies risk assessment then induction braking will not be required. i agree with the previous respondent that just because a machine is CE marked that does not necessarilly mean it is safe. The book also mentioned Safety in Engineering Workshops is a very good source of information