Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2001 20:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gannaway Does anyone have any horror stories, yes it has got that far that may persuade a local eduaction authority that action is required to prevent school buses reversing on school grounds. There is a single track road onto the grounds same way in and out. As the school is on a housing estate there it is not possible to alight out side. I'm sure they are aware of their responsibilities under the work place regs, but although anecdotaly children are often pulled away behind reversing buses, no near misses have been recorded. When an accident does occur, there will be old cry, why didn't someone do something.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2001 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neil Budworth Dear Peter, No horror stories I am afraid, but a suggestion. Why not video the operation and show the video at the senior management group. I have found in the past that by doing this you can take a theoretical situation and make it much more engaging. People also begin to realise that once they have seen this kind of evidence it is more dificult for them to distance themselves from any subsequent accident, so they often have a different take on the situation. Best Regards Neil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2001 17:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I like the video idea. I would show it to the School Board. Find out who the parent members are, and if you have any who work in a health and safety concious environment so much the better. Then get it on the agenda and try to get a representative of the council Education dept and the local Police road safety officer along. It helps if you can add a possible, low cost solution - even if temporary measures - to deflect the "nothing in the budget" excuse for doing nothing (you are right that the money would appear by magic if a child was maimed or killed) Good luck. We (the local primary school board) have been pushing for road safety improvements for the last couple of years. Its a long slog, but slowly things are moving. Maybe not before my own son goes up to secondary in 18 months, but somebody's kids will eventually see the benefit. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2001 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey I have just spent 10 minutes looking at the HSE web site, after searching reversing vehicles. You can find a wealth of background history here which clearly highlights the risks remember "Nearly a quarter of all deaths involving vehicles at work occur while vehicles are reversing. Most of these accidents happen at low speeds, and can be avoided by taking simple precautions" Try looking at INDG 199 Managing Vehicle Safety and the HSE press release EO27:01 - 16 Feb 2001 Peter Harvey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2001 11:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Although the following incident did not happen on a school property I thought you might like to use this as an example of how devestating the death of a child can be to all involved in similar circumstances. I was a staff nurse in an A&E department when a five year old was brought in having been run over by a reversing milk float on a farm track. The child died of multiple injuries. The family were wrecked with grief and the driver never worked again following the incident. Could you not argue that the buss company is potentially putting its driver's at risk by making them drive in an area which is inherently unsafe.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2001 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Peter, have you considered other methods of getting the kids to the school? Try looking at the booklet "A Safer Journey to School" from the Transport 2000 Trust - contact the DfEE on 0845 602 2260. Ideas like walking buses won't remove the real buses but should improve the safety of youngsters arriving at school. I'm not clear why the children can't get off the bus outside the gates just because it's a housing estate either - are there problems with other motorists? We're in the process of making the yellow zig zags enforceable (they're only advisory at the moment) which will lead to a £20 fine for anyone caught parking on them. Maybe measures like this will make it possible for the buses to stop outside the school grounds and eliminate your problems. Other ideas that have worked in schools here are safe walkways, entry codes on the school gates and liaison with the bus companies over arrival times. Hope this helps, regards, Zoe