Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2001 17:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Can anyone please help with a query i've been given. I need to ensure adequate training is provided for a construction project supervisor. I'm going to enrole him/her on the NEBOSH general and construction certificates which should provide a good basic grounding, however particular training is required for the contract administraction, namely "JCT 80" can anyone provide a brief explination what this means and if any courses are availble for it? Any details will be helpful Rich
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2001 20:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Sharkey Richard, I would strongly recommend the Construction Industry Training Board's Site Safety Supervisors Course. It is a five day course aimed specifically at construction safety and has a high practical content. It may not contain information on your JCT requirements but it will bring your people up to speed very quickly. Michael
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2001 01:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Richard. Your reference to JCT 80. This is The JCT Standard form of Building Contract, 1980 edition, and many ammendments and additions since. Go to www.architecture.com this is the new site of The RIBA, Royal Institute of British Architects and link to there Bookshop. This will give you details of how and where to purchase copies of the documents and access much advisory information and guidance and interprtation publications relating to JCT Foms of contract. You would also be well advisd to speak to your Commercial/Quantity Surveying Dept. They should know all about such forms of Contract and be able to direct you to suitable Training courses on the subject. As Michael said in his reply, contact CITB for Training information, they probably run courses on Contract as well. CITB are on the Web. Whatever, be mindful that Health & Safety legislation, Statutory Law applies regardles of the Forms and conditions of Contract. However you may find areas of Safety reinforcement that you can refer to from the Contrcat conditions. Hope this helps. Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2001 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard cheers for the prompt response guys, thats helpful information
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2001 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey I was very interested to read these replies and would be grateful if anyone could point me towards course providers for the Construction Industry Training Board's Site Safety Supervisors Course.