Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2001 16:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Probably an unusual request! My company will shortly have a sauna available for employees' use. Help in identifying the health and safety implications would be appreciated!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2001 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment What a caring company you have!! Think 'swimming pool' - daily testing of water quality, chemical dosing etc; trained staff to carry out this task; cleaning of surrounding areas; slip resistant flooring; signs about useage; clearing debris - plasters, jewellery, logs (if use is opened up to family, children etc); electrical safety; hygiene facilities (showers, privacy); mandatory wearing of bathing caps and verruca socks. OK so I made the last two up!! Most of this info should be available from the installer if they are reputable.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2001 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If the question is about sauna cabins, I have also not found anything on the internet. The main hazards appear to be burns, heat stress, infection, personal attack and slipping on wet floors. The control measures tend to be: following the instructions and guidance in the standard notices supplied with the equipment (If you didn't get this why not pop along to a local leisure centre and copy theirs?); good hygiene and cleaning control; hazardous chemicals used for cleaning; supervision by visits; and emergency alarms - in addition to the usual hazards of buildings and any local site specific issues. Incidentally, veruccae are a matter of contraversy in this area. If the environment does have swimming pool type activity involved (eg spa pools), I would also suggest visiting the swimming pool operators pages on: www.caromal.co.uk and consulting HSG 179 (HSE Books).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2001 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Robert Sorry, bad eyesight day - read jacuzzi instead of sauna - nothing Freudian!! Bryn
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2001 16:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Robert. I would suggest that your company, apart from identifying the hazards in respect of provision of this facility, may also need to produce a 'policy' document detailing such Jems as; 1) dress code 2) men and women (mixed or seprate use !!) 3) Cleanliness/cleansing 4) Operation and maintenance of equipment (e.g temperature and water etc) 5) 'Lone' sauna use and raising alarms !! 6) Max numbers to use equipment at any one time 7) Hours of use/core work time !!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2001 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Robert, Purely by chance I have just come across an article in the Zurich Municiple's "News & Views" which states that they have had three large claims following fires originating in saunas & that it is important to recognise that they represent a high fire risk. I must confess that I was quite suprised to read this and if you would like me to send you a copy of the article then please e-mail me with your full name & address: zyggy.turek@stockport.gov.uk