Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2001 11:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sandra M Russell Could any one help I am looking for any information to help with a reasearch project looking at what h & S arrangments companies have in place for employees with disabilities. I have info on all the legal requirements but very little on practical application. The HSE have not been able to help. Has anyone developed specific programmes to address this. Including training programmes.Secondly I am looking for any case law where the HSE has prosecuted an employer for failing to address the h & s of an disabled employee, again the HSE has not been able to supply any information.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2001 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston One of the first cases, if not the first, was Paris v. Stepney Borough Council [1951] AC367, where the House of Lords held that goggles should have been provided for a one-eyed man doing work where there was a risk of metal particles striking the eye although the risk of this happening was such that for a man with normal sight it could be ignored.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2001 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Sandra, Peter McGeer & Howard Fidderman have published a very informative book called "Fit for the job: health, safety and disability at work". ISBN 1 870771 51 6. It is published under the IRS banner and they can be contacted on 020 7354 5858 or www.irseclipse.co.uk. Regards Ron
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2001 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Sandra, Having been involved in safety training recently I have found that the best approach is not to treat disabled people any differently i.e. Tailor the existing package to suit the audience. I have had delegates that were blind, deaf and physically disabled. You may also have to cater for people with temporary disablement such as broken limbs etc. On a recent course with a blind person I found that all he required was to be able to hear my voice clearly (and have somewhere for his dog to sit!). For the deaf person, she wanted to sit in such a position that she could lip-read adequatly. Course material can be adapted as there is a need to ensure that a safe system of work exists for such people and that suitable arrangements have been made for fire evacuation etc. I normally ask such delegates for an input themselves so that if there are any issues raised that cause me/them concern, I can take them up with the relative management people afterwards. Now, as a matter of formality, I ask my customer to provide me with details of any attendees who might be disabled and for details of what that disablement is. If video film material is used then certainly for blind people you need to ensure that the voiceovers are adequate to give the relevant message clearly.With deaf people adequate on-screen information needs to be in place. I hope that this helps. Regards, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 March 2001 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Sandra, if you visit my web-site, www.web-safety.com and click on the disability logo on the home page you will find some useful information including hyper-links to government, charities and employer organisations offering free information advice and assistance on employing people with disabilities. regards, Philip
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2001 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sandra M Russell Thanks for your help
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2001 20:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton Hi not sure if this helps but i work in a large office (public sector) we have a number of staff with different disabilities: wheelchair bound..visually impaired and one with cerabal pallsy.. Most of our concerns are around access and emergency evacuation.. for access we have installed automatic doors at the entrance.. the security door is operated by a hand held electronic control. for emergency escape we have Evac chairs on each floor..a buddy system for the person with visual impairment and the person with cerebal pallsy as she is unsteady on her feet. the latter is also instructed and agreed to use the lift at all times when moving from floor to floor as the stairs are particularly troublesome as a result of her mobilty restrictions and balance problems... in general we have tried to integrate disabled staff and put in additional measures as appropriate in line with a risk assessment for each individual..you should note that the department of employment assisted with funds up to 50% of the cost of much of the adaption required..they have dedicated personnel who give advice on issues relating to disabled employees including assessment of needs..you may wish to contact your local office... hope this helps.... ...
Admin  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2001 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sandra M Russell David Thanks for the info I have just a couple more questions.Have you made any special provisions for how you provide training and information for the person with visual impairment or any other employee with disabilities with special needs if so what? This seem to be area where little seems to be done. Have you adapted any work equipement for the employees with disabilities again if so what? Sandra
Admin  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2001 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young We are in the process of looking at voice recognition software for DSE users with conditions that prevent the prolonged use of keyboard/mouse devices. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has gone down this avenue and how successful the software was.